Xbox One How are the 720 specs of the core processor gonna be?

dankcloud

Contributor
I heard rumors of the alleged Xbox 720 is going to be powered by the AMD 8 core 1.6Ghz. Anybody know if this is true or not?

I felt that this was kind of lacking for a "next-gen" type console? I'm no expert, but I thought this was kind of not enough, no matter the

amount of cores; am I missing something here?

There has been no official statement yet for Microsoft if the rumor is true. AMD 8 core is good enough to handle multitasking and can zip big games. Besides, it is also rumored to use 8GB of RAM, that is twice the amount in PS4.

Here's the gist of how processor power works.

Back in the days of single core processors it was common to see 3.5 ghz processors or higher (up to 3.9 or so) since the faster the single cpu was the more work it could push through at once.

With dual core (or more) processors you now have two CPUs to handle the work load instead of only one. That means less work for each one to process. Not all applications at this point make use of more than one core, but you get the idea.

The reason we have see processor clock speeds go down over the years as the number of cores goes up, is because of the problems that come with faster clocks in CPUs. A cpu running at 3.5 ghz generates a lot of heat already, so imagine how much heat it would generate if you put in two or more of them running at the same speed. Not everyone can afford the kind of cooling systems it would take to keep that kind cpu cool enough to not blue screen your system after five minutes from overheating.

Also, in order for a super powerful 3.5ghz+ multicore processor to run at its full potential, it can't be limited by any other hardware in your system. As of right now, affordable memory and hard drives do not run efficiently enough to handle the kind of speed a multicore processor would put through them if it were running at anything higher than 1.5-2ghz.

So a 1.5 ghz 8 core processor could decently handle the same load as a 8-12ghz single core processor in theory. That's really not too shabby.

TL;DR - Clock speed is not the only important factor in determining how much a CPU is capable of.

There has been no official statement yet for Microsoft if the rumor is true. AMD 8 core is good enough to handle multitasking and can zip big games. Besides, it is also rumored to use 8GB of RAM, that is twice the amount in PS4.

I've heard that the PS4 will use the same amount, but those are rumors and should be treated as such. Microsoft and Sony have not released any official statements, so it's far too early to start talking about which one has the better specs. Nobody really knows what they are.

Microsoft hasn't issued any official statement yet, although it's rumored that they'll be using a quad core, not an 8 core. It isn't as significant as you'd think however, most games aren't so heavily dependent on the CPU and a fairly-modern quad core processor running at 3-3.5 Ghz is more than plenty without bottlenecking a graphics card. Optimization is another thing, console games are typically programmed so that they aren't too intensive on the hardware, so it everything runs smoothly. What GPU they will be using is a bigger concern in my opinion, since it has to keep up with the ~6 year leap between generations, and the current tech as well.

Having an 8-core processor would give the Xbox the necessary muscle to pack a pretty big punch for at least quite a few years down the road.

Wow a 8-core processor? That sounds great. If it is true that is.

To my knowledge, microsoft has not released any info on what type of proceesor it is going to have unless I am wrong?
It better have a good one and a good fan with it too. Sick of those overheating with systems now a days.

That would be plenty enough for a gaming system, I just hope they have a lot of RAM. Considering how cheap it is for the average consumer, there is no reason why Microsoft can't load it up with eight or more gigs.

What GPU they will be using is a bigger concern in my opinion, since it has to keep up with the ~6 year leap between generations, and the current tech as well.

Most importantly it has to be affordable. They can't put out a console that costs as much as a high end PC that no console gamer can afford. Then they won't sell enough.

It's probably going to be an AMD processor since it will make building the consoles way cheaper than going with Intel processors. Regarding RAM, it will be at least 8 gb of RAM, no doubt!

Back