How important is online multiplayer to you?

jardantuan

Now that having an internet connection has become as common as having a TV in your house, online gaming is really starting to take off. But not every game incorporates it - sometimes, the game doesn't lend itself to multiplayer (many RPGs for example), whereas other times the developers opt not to, keeping it either a single player experience, or just having local multiplayer.

Does online multiplayer affect your decision to buy a game?

I'm not that bothered about multiplayer a lot of the time. For a start, I don't have many friends that still play video games devoutly, and most of those that do tend to play PC or PS3 (which I don't have) over the 360. I don't particularly care for playing against strangers online either. I never play with a headset plugged in if I'm not playing with friends, so they may as well just be AI bots for all I care. I tend to prefer to play locally with friends. Even though you have to deal with splitscreen, you don't have the issues with internet connections and lag that can sometimes arise, and (generally) games offer more diverse modes for local multiplayer.

Playing multiplayer games is a big deal for me. Whenever I buy a new game, I like to find out what they offer for multiplayer mode online. I think of gaming as a social thing and so I like to make sure I can play with my friends. Xbox Live is also a huge community and it's fun to meet people online that way too.

For me its the main reason I buy games. For most Call of Duty series I have just finished the single player mode for one of them, rest I have bought just for playing online. And I am mostly into FPS so yeah. Online is really important for me.

It's a nice touch, but by no means is it a deal breaker for me. I tend to play alone anyways. As a nintendo guy, I am used to not having online, so it really doesn't bother me when a game doesn't support online. I know this bothers other people though.

It really depends on the type of game, in my opinion. Sports games, for example, I find to be the most fun when playing against friends online.

I feel online games are great, i mean games like Skyrim are great too. But online would be even better.

depends on the game.. i have no real want for ac4 multilayer. but bf4 i do.. it will be interesting to see how titanfall does being a multilayer only game. and i look forward to the unconventional multilayer aspect of destiny.

most every game now has multiplayer.. heck even forza5 is multiplayer with no real ai.. more like si(simulated interaction)... next gen may just be the age of multiplayer of how streamline it becomes.

the always on connected digital content was scary as a concept now that xb1 has launched look at how people want the all digital and are not in arms about playing games that are based around connection/internet.

I enjoy it but its not the main reason I play. i enjoy the one on one challenge more than playing against a big group and won't even try to go online with a game until I get to a certain level.

Not so hugely important that I'd find it hard to enjoy Xbox without it, but it is still a fun thing to have. I do like to log on and beat my boys in 2k, especially seeing as we can't physically get together as much anymore, with jobs and starting families and such now.

Competing against other human beings and interacting with them is a fundamental aspect of what makes me enjoy games. Some single player games have their enjoyable features, and I can play them for long periods, but multiplayer is just what really gets me. Maybe it's just because I wasn't allowed it when I was young. Turning 21 next November, I feel silly saying that.

Meh it's at the lower end of the list of priorities. Local multiplayer ranks higher than online as far as important features.

Depends on the type of game.
For shooters, TPS, etc. I like having the multiplayer option because the singleplayer modes on those aren't exactly long. For RPGs, JRPGs, etc, I prefer no multiplayer because it breaks the immersion.

In a FPS shooter is one of the things I value the most. Granted it depends on the type of FPS. If its an RPG then I don't need any multiplayer, but if its a military shooter then it's a must!

For FPS, online multiplayer is preferred. Everything else single player and local multiplayer.

Now that having an internet connection has become as common as having a TV in your house, online gaming is really starting to take off. But not every game incorporates it - sometimes, the game doesn't lend itself to multiplayer (many RPGs for example), whereas other times the developers opt not to, keeping it either a single player experience, or just having local multiplayer.

Does online multiplayer affect your decision to buy a game?

I'm not that bothered about multiplayer a lot of the time. For a start, I don't have many friends that still play video games devoutly, and most of those that do tend to play PC or PS3 (which I don't have) over the 360. I don't particularly care for playing against strangers online either. I never play with a headset plugged in if I'm not playing with friends, so they may as well just be AI bots for all I care. I tend to prefer to play locally with friends. Even though you have to deal with splitscreen, you don't have the issues with internet connections and lag that can sometimes arise, and (generally) games offer more diverse modes for local multiplayer.

Whether or not a game has an online multiplayer feature doesn't, in and of itself, factor into my decision to buy a game, but if the game does NOT have that feature, it does impact how much I'm willing to pay for a game. Games with online multiplayer just have a lot more replay value for me, so I'm willing to pay $50-60 for them, whereas games that are pretty much offline only are also pretty much "play-it-once-and-forget-it" type games, so I don't want to pay full price for those.

Honestly online multiplayer isn't a huge factor. You're picking from a pool or shooters, sports games, and racing games for online for the most part and only one of those appeal to me (sports) and with that one I prefer to play alone or with buddies over.

To amend what I said earlier, I really enjoy multiplayer when it's with people I'm close with. Playing on a team with strangers just doesn't have the appeal of working with your buddies. With VR equipment becoming more and more a thing, I'm really excited to storm the ramparts of great battlefields with my closest friends in the greatest immersive experience of all time. That and I can cut my treadmill time in half at the gym :D

Back