Xbox One Illumniroom will make your entire wall your video game screen

Spartan

From
Sacramento
ces-2013_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Microsoft has brought so many ridiculous thing to life, things that I personally never really thought would be possible to be manufactured and brought to the mainstream consumer. Smartglass anyone? Illumniroom, the idea of projecting and making your entire wall, not just your monitor or television, your video game screen was presentedby Microsoft and Samsung during the Samsung keynote at CES in Las Vegas, as a "possibility"of the future of gaming. Kind of like that big white wall that you use with your projector to have the biggest big screen TV in your house. Period.

[video=youtube;re1EatGRV0w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=re1EatGRV0w[/video]

Microsoft hasn't announced when Illumniroom will be available, but if we know Microsoft, they probably have prototypes that they're working on now. They've said that they're going to be releasing a paper on Illumniroom at a Paris conference on April 27th. Apparently, Illumniroom is a Microsoft Research project that
uses a Kinect for a Windows camera combined with a projector. It apparently "uses the appearance and the geometry of the room (captured by Kinect) to adapt the projected visuals in real-time without any need to custom pre-process the graphics."

Sources:
Engadget
Huffington Post

That's actually pretty neat. It'll be interesting to see if it works out well or act more like a gimmick.

This seems really interesting and pretty cool actually!

Really really neat. The only problem is that I'm sure this will cost a pretty penny between the camera and projector.

That seems quite awesome. I've always thought that Kinect has to progress past what it is now and this might do it.

I love it. My daughter and I were blown away by how cool this is. I wonder how long it'll take and how long it'll cost. If this works the way it's demonstrated and people can actually afford it, it has a lot of potential to make many games even more exciting to play.

That looks incredible. I can't wait to see the full release along with specifications and the price. If this works in the way demonstrated in the video then I will be getting one for sure.

My father in law showed me this yesterday and I didn't believe it.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

This is a potential game changer and I'm sure the hardcore first person shooter players will have a blast making videos of their matches with this. I can't wait to try it out, very cool.

That is petty awesome... I know my bf would be interested in getting this maybe when it comes out. If not i know I will be it looks pret cool and I like how Xbox always has new things to come out so the system never gets boring

That is a pretty awesome concept. But I would want to remove all those things on my wall to get a "clearer" picture. My pictures and stuff would make me annoyed that it's getting in the way. I guess we will see what happens with it.

It is cool but not good enough. I still prefer the home theater used for gaming, plus the eardrum breaker audio set up.

I just don't see it being a very big seller unless you have one wall that is completely empty with no pictures or anything hanging on the walls.

Like others have said, it's a neat idea but I'd prefer it if I had a wall that was nearly completely empty. My TV is on an entertainment unit with a lot of stuff on the other shelves which I think would ruin/take away from the picture. But there's no way I'm moving my stuff around.

That would be awesome! That system plus Kinect would have so many possibilities!

Microsoft has assembled a concept online video showing off a great immersive gaming set up where game play extends at night piddling confines of one's TV.

The IllumiRoom thought, which Microsoft patented delayed last year, generally turns all of your room in to the gaming fabric using a Xbox 360 kinect for Windows camera along with a projector linked to the console as well as the TV.

The movie shows bits and pieces of sport debris capturing out of the screen and around the area, the idea becoming to put your side-line vision to good use and customarily give you a 'being there' feel as you enjoy.

Or, as Microsoft company puts the idea, "blending our own virtual and also physical worlds with projected visualisations".

YouTube :
The organization also asserts that the outcomes shown "are generally rendered instantly and are captured live - not computer graphics added in submit processing", which gives all of us the impression it's seriously seriously interested in this one.
Games room

The developers behind the particular project included, "Our system can alter the appearance of the room, induce evident motion, lengthen the field of look at, and allow entirely brand-new game encounters.

"Our system makes use of the appearance and also the geometry of the place (captured by simply Kinect) to adapt the projected visuals within real-time without any must custom pre-process your graphics."

Will we view this full-room gaming hit the market alongside the next generation Xbox 720? It's section of Microsoft's Analysis division right now so the jury's out - but imagine exactly how good it could be coupled with Kinect's movements sensing ability.

Now might be a very good time to start off canvassing your household for the dedicated gambling dungeon…

It is a very interesting concept but its use within the home is very limited. How many people will shell out the money to purchase one only to not use it anymore 3 to 6 months down the road. Yes, those early adapters will have something to talk about but it will eventually never be turned on again.

I absolutely love the idea.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that unless you have a wall completely dedicated to it, it's not going to look right. I've seen pictures like this:

i.huffpost. com/gen/935133/thumbs/r-ILLUMNIROOM-large570.jpg?7

And it seems to work right there....but the moment the lighting isn't perfect, I think it's going to wash out and be frustrating.

And it seems to work right there....but the moment the lighting isn't perfect, I think it's going to wash out and be frustrating.

The first problem is that they have to put the kinect right on top of the camera and then calibrate it to the height/angle of the camera lens to get the 'room elimination' effect to work.

So if your head is moving, and you don't have a kinect strapped to your head doing constant re-calibrations, the 'room elimination' effect gets very crazy looking/not effective at all.

Now what about player two? How is the setup going to look for them? Aha! Even bigger problem, so you'd have to give each player some LCD shutters that open and close at 60hz and the projector has to run at 120hz with half the frames drawn for player 2, and calculated for their ever changing perspective? Yikes!

Further to all that, you've now got an LCD and some sort of presumably cheap projector running? The LCD is showing the game in say 720p, where's the video for the projector (all the outside graphics) getting rendered/coming from?

This is where you start wondering how much hardware they had hooked up for this demo?! Likely some very experimental setup with enough GPU horsepower to render the game at multiple resolutions?

Ahhh and then getting back to the cost.. Say they managed to get this darn gadget down to like $250.. It's a projector that only works with your XBox? What the heck? So if you wanted to watch a Blu-Ray disc, on the whole wall, you can't? Or at the very least you'd have to point it at a wall with nothing on it because the XBox isn't going to deal with the Illumiroom calculations while you play a Blu-Ray movie?

Wouldn't it just be so much easier to get a real projector, skip buying the LCD, and just use a pull down screen to hide your wall of junk? I'm thinking that's why this is just a 'tech demo' with lots of caveats. ;)

There is a kid on youtube who managed to turn his xbox 360 into a whole wall game by hooking it up to an ordinary school projector. He doesn't say exactly how he did it but it looks really cool. The games don't interact with the surroundings though but in some ways I think that's better, I don't really want a machine in my room scanning what's in it and sending those pics to microsoft, or anyone else.

Back