Indie game recommendations?

TheDangerousSummer

I logged onto Steam on my PC today, and I didn't see any game I really wanted to play. I usually play indie games, but that's a pretty vague genre name.

Some favorites have been Dustforce, Prison Architect and Terraria. I also have Gone Home in my inventory, so I need to play that.

Anyone have any suggestions?

You should check out Starbound, if you like Terraria. Still beta but already much better than Terraria.

The indie game I'm currently enjoying very much is Hotline Miami. It has a ton of fast paced action that keeps you on your toes. It's so much fun.

The guys who created Prison Architect have a pretty good number of games out there so trying searching them - and/or trying looking at the lists of other people who follow them. You can also try some Indie lite with Stacking. It's a fairly small download and it's a pretty interesting game all told.

Game Dev Tycoon is really worth trying out. If you've ever played Kairosoft's Game Dev Story on iOS or Android (I highly suggest it. It's addictive, won't eat up much time, has RPG elements, and a tinge of strategy...as do most of their games) then GDT is a more detailed, strategic based sim. It's actually inspired by Game Dev Story. Some features:

-Start from the 80s developing games in your garage then move on to offices and more workers
-Improve your graphics and design skills among others
-Research genres and themes
-Pick up licenses for a console. The license, the amount of features, and effort all factor into the game development time and budget
-You don't want to make too many of the same games in the row, but you can. Also there are trends that could be popular at that moment (ex: "FPS are popular at the moment" "Mature games are popular", etc.)
-There's popularity as well.

Lots of stuff. I haven't gotten to the point where I can develop a console. I would like if it were possible to become a 1st or 2nd party developer.

For a free, text-based sim based on game development you'll definitely want to go with Gamebiz: The Magical Year and Gamebiz 2. Both predate GDS and GDT and are a little more detailed in content. You have awards ceremonies and stuff like that. The game gets relentlessly difficult when the mid 90s roll in and you have to save up to make your own console.

Gamebiz is to game development sims what TEW and EWR are to wrestling booking sims (where you run the company and not just play a match) whereas GDS and GDT are to development sims what the WWE 2KX series is to wrestling sims.

I'm going to have to try out Game Dev Tycoon. I have played Gamebiz 2 and LOVED it. It's a little glitchy, but it's a great game.

Gamebiz 2 is so glitchy at times. I would've also liked if it could be modded. Text based sims should be moddable and most are.

Terraria is great. I can also sign off on Game Dev Tycoon. I'll have to try Gamebiz 2 since its free.

I've heard nothing but good things about Starbound, Terraria, and Game Dev Tycoon. I'd like to try Eurotruck Simulator. It looks fun.

Gamebiz 2 is so glitchy at times. I would've also liked if it could be modded. Text based sims should be moddable and most are.

I remember when Gamebiz 3 (which I didn't care much for) came out and it still wasn't moddable. It did add some pretty neat elements to the series, but I liked simplicity and difficulty of GB2.

Game Dev Tycoon is killing my computer, but I love it. That game is awesome and I recommend it. Gamebiz 2 is good. I recommend Starbound to everyone.

Game Dev Tycoon is killing my computer, but I love it. That game is awesome and I recommend it. Gamebiz 2 is good. I recommend Starbound to everyone.
I have Game Dev Story on my iPhone. Stupid game is a battery drainer but is SO fun for such a dumb game! lol I'll have to try Tycoon.

I thought I was the only one, jstep. Game Dev Story and all those Kairo games really nom on battery life.

I had to wean myself off of Kairosoft games. They can be addictive. Back on indie games: Starbound is what you should get up on. I will agree with Game Dev Tycoon.

Personally I think Game Dev Story is better than Game Dev Tycoon.

I would recommend Gone Home, Stanley Parable, Cart Life, Rogue Life and Papers Please. Those are some of my favorites. Also the obvious answer is Hotline Miami if you haven;t already played it.

Here are my recommendations:

Hotline Miami - insane game focused on twitch gameplay with an incredible soundtrack.
Frozen Synapse - play out multiplayer combat strategy battles in asynchronous turns. It is a bit hard to explain so you should watch Youtube videos if you're interested.
Rogue Legacy - rogue-like platformer with a twist: everytime you start over you don't start from scratch. You actually play as a descendant of your previous character...
The Stanley Parable - play the demo. It's short. I don't want to ruin the experience so I won't describe it. :)

Gone Home is pretty great, I would definitely recommend it. Also, Octodad: Dadliest Catch is pretty awesome, I've never had so much fun playing a game that involves little to no complex button mechanics. And the game itself is pretty fun to play, the controls are bad in a good way, and come one man, if game title lets you play as an octopus pretending to be a human who had a wife and two children, then I wouldn't pass the opportunity.

Back