Xbox One Interesting - My Xbox One uploading while powered off/in standby

jwalker55

Sitting here after I finished playing some NBA 2k14 with the console now off (for probably 10 minutes or more), wondering why my internet connection has slowed down. I login to my router to see that my upload is being pegged by something. Everything on the network is idle, except the Xbox One, which is the culprit. I unplug the console from my switch, and the bandwidth usage instantly returns to idle. Plug it back in, and it starts right back up. I'd really love to know wth it's doing, and i'd encourage everyone else to investigate and see if their consoles are doing the same thing when turned off/in standby.

EDIT: Also, checked my router stats, and I normally average around 200 MB of data going out the WAN port per day. Since I've had the Xbox One, I've averaged over 800 MB on the upload per day. Energy saving mode seems to fix it, but obviously the trade-off to that is the long boot time.

This is on a 12/2 connection that averages about 11.5/1.6
Note: this is with the console "off"
ukgp.jpg

I've posted about this a few times....when in standby mode it downloads updates in background and like you said the only way to stop this is by turning on Energy Saving Mode. I enabled this yesterday since its in my room and I can actually hear the brick buzzing when I wake up so it annoyed me.

Note that they actually designed the XBOX One to last 10 years because off this feature its on 24/7 unless you disable it

i kinda figured it stayed on to some degree.

the dead give away was my wireless router.. although my xbox is wired off my router the lights would stop blinking and bouncing around when my 360 was off.. with the xb1 it still blinks and bounces around.

i did not know you could put it in an energy saving mode....

i do know when you turn it off the white light thing turns off/on a few times before going into standby mode. not a deal breaker. tho.. if i am downloading anything i wont play bf4 anymore. i tried downloading ki while playing bf4 and lets say it felt like glitches horribly.. it would glitch lockup and generally barley work. i let it finish ki download and got back on after and it was back to normal. i am not sure any router is up to bf4 conquest play with a download in background other than maybe google direct line or t1 connection.

this is me on xbox streaming netflix in hd while on my laptop.
3126223103.png

I have been turning off my xbox by switching off my power surge protector so I never noticed it humming along. I did try this when I had it off and it creeped me out. It's so loud. Just turned off this featuer. Thanks for the tip.

I'll test it tonight. I have 50mb DL with Comcast, both XBOX and Laptop on WiFi and I've never experienced lag even when i was on 20mb DL a couple of months ago.

Brick light white: Standby Mode

Brick light orange: Energy Saving Mode

When you go to Power on/Shut down settings it tells you the benefits of Standby Mode

Standby is super convenient but like I said and you noticed too, the buzzing is just loud. When i first noticed it on Saturday morning I thought it was in my head until I got up and put my ear to it.

I've posted about this a few times....when in standby mode it downloads updates in background and like you said the only way to stop this is by turning on Energy Saving Mode. I enabled this yesterday since its in my room and I can actually hear the brick buzzing when I wake up so it annoyed me.

Note that they actually designed the XBOX One to last 10 years because off this feature its on 24/7 unless you disable it

It's not updating though, as it would be DOWNLOADING, not uploading. Huge difference. It would be telling me there's an update to apply anyways if that were the case, and you'd be hearing all about it on the internet if there were updates.

The issue here is on the UPLOAD side, not download. The console is SENDING data (a lot of data, or at least WAY more than it should be) out to the internet when in standby.

Of course its uploading at times, THAT IS WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO.

It could be uploading all your achievements, your recorded game clips, parts of your games to store on the cloud, your game saves, your game settings,
game progress, offload cpu processes, syncing with skydrive, etc...

No one has any idea yet just how large these things are. Who knows a game save could be 1meg or 500 megs, same with
the auto saved game clips. Same with other things.

My advice is to just leave it alone and connected and let it do its thing like it was intended.

The cloud will allow you to take not only your Xbox profile, but your pins, home screen, content, save games and achievements with you wherever you go. "Basically," Penello says, "any Xbox One anywhere in the world is your Xbox."

For example, your Xbox Live profile will live online. That means that you can access all of your games and content from any Xbox One just by signing in. When you’re at a friends, you can quickly sign into your account meaning your achievements and position on the leaderboard are always mobile.

The cloud will also power title and system updates in the background so that whenever you go to play, your stuff is ready to go. Likewise, it will always run matchmaking so that gamers can find a multiplayer instance faster

Xbox One automatically manages data stored on its internal hard drive through sychronization with Microsoft's online cloud servers, the firm has explained.

The console's automated data management process will offload game files such as save data and settings to the cloud whenever it's available (for Xbox Live Gold subs only), making them available to the user on any Xbox One they sign into.

"Xbox One was designed to make storage management automatic," a Microsoft rep told Game Informer.

"For saved games, settings, and other information that Xbox One customers save to the cloud, space is virtually unlimited. On the internal hard drive in each Xbox One, games and apps can be uninstalled or reinstalled instantly with the click of the Xbox One menu button.

"Saved games and settings information is retrieved from the cloud for any game as its being reinstalled. By being smart about how storage is managed, Xbox One keeps everyone playing, watching, and sharing their entertainment content rather than worry about limitations. You can also see how much storage any app uses by pressing the menu button on that app," they explained.

But, they go on to stipulate, offline versions of your newest data will also be stored should a cloud connection not be available.

"Everything stored locally on the console is just a cache that enables you to play offline, track achievement progress offline, and more. When you reconnect we will sync your progress in the game and sync your achievements," said the rep.

"If you remain connected to the cloud, your game progress will always be available in the cloud so you can pick up where you left off in the game from any Xbox One you play the game on; if not, it is stored locally on the console."

LOL Jwalker, straight from XBOX.com

In Instant-On power mode, your Xbox One console is up to date and ready to use. In this mode:

Your console automatically downloads updates.
Your console starts up in two seconds.
You can wake the console using a voice command. Just say “Xbox, on.”

Notes:
Your console may sound as if it’s on when downloading and installing updates.
In Instant-On power mode, the console power supply unit (PSU) remains on and the solid white LED on the PSU is bright. You may also hear the fan in the PSU.
The console uses 15 watts of power when in Instant-On mode.

In energy-saving power mode, your console is shut down to save energy. In this mode:

Updates are not downloaded and installed until your console is turned on.
Your console takes 45 seconds to start up.
You must press the Xbox button to start the console.

Notes
In energy-saving mode, the PSU is in off/standby mode and the solid orange LED on the PSU is bright.
The console uses 0.5 watts of power when in energy-saving mode.

It says it downloads the updates on the console itself when you go the settings. They even talked about it during the press events. The uploading is probably just various amounts of data that we probably agreed to so that can gather general info about how the XBOX One is being used.

LOL Jwalker, straight from XBOX.com

It says it downloads the updates on the console itself when you go the settings. They even talked about it during the press events. The uploading is probably just various amounts of data that we probably agreed to so that can gather general info about how the XBOX One is being used.

Yes, I understand it will download updates in standby. That is not the issue. The issue is that it pegs my upload, causing my latency to increase significantly (yes, this happens to us not fortunate enough to be on a 50/5 pipe). Unless it's uploading game clips (which should ABSOLUTELY be an option and not forced) to the cloud, there's no reason for it to be pushing out hundreds of megs a day. Ideally, I should be able to leave the thing in standby without having to run QoS on my router to babysit it so it doesn't slow everyone's connection down in the house, which I will definitely hear about.

B
Yes, I understand it will download updates in standby. That is not the issue. The issue is that it pegs my upload, causing my latency to increase significantly (yes, this happens to us not fortunate enough to be on a 50/5 pipe). Unless it's uploading game clips (which should ABSOLUTELY be an option and not forced) to the cloud, there's no reason for it to be pushing out hundreds of megs a day. Ideally, I should be able to leave the thing in standby without having to run QoS on my router to babysit it so it doesn't slow everyone's connection down in the house, which I will definitely hear about.

In your situation I can see why that would be so annoying. I just upgraded my FIos to 150/65 so I'm grateful I don't need to worry. The ridiculous thing is they have options for 300/65 & 500/100 as well. Talk about fast. Although Google Fiber is 1gb/1gb which is unfathomable to me lol

It's not updating though, as it would be DOWNLOADING, not uploading. Huge difference. It would be telling me there's an update to apply anyways if that were the case, and you'd be hearing all about it on the internet if there were updates.

The issue here is on the UPLOAD side, not download. The console is SENDING data (a lot of data, or at least WAY more than it should be) out to the internet when in standby.

The NSA is watching you!!! the uploads are kinect videos being sent out...

just kidding

Back