Karaoke channel coming to the Xbox Live

jstep

Former Moderator
From
The D
Microsoft announced today that they're going to be partnering with the Karaoke Channel to bring a real karaoke experience to XBL in time for the holidays. Now, while I was super geeked by this prospect initially, what they're charging for it ($25/hr) just seems ridiculous. I might as well go to the bar and sing karaoke there for that price with $2.25 tall drafts. If you're not of drinking age, this might be a good option for some family fun...on occasion. The unnamed game will have over 8,000 songs available via the cloud, so you shouldn't have to worry about not being able to find the song that you're looking for. Another bonus? Xbox SmartGlass will be supported, allowing you to get your queue ready via your tablet or smartphone.

What do you guys think about this? Like I said, I just don't think I can justify the $25/hour cost.

$25 an hour seems rather steep for karaoke because as you said you can go to the bar and do karaoke for free if you don't want to buy a drink or a few bucks if you do. I don't think I would pay that much but maybe if you had a group of people coming over who all chipped in it would be worth it.

Well, in theory, it's actually a good idea. But truth be told, this is the kind of thing that should either be free or cost no more than $10. And even $10 is pushing it. But you'd have to believe with such a steep price, there is a little something more to this beyond simple Karaoke.

Reading that article it doesn't say that it will cost $25 an hour. It actually says that there is no price set yet but that you will be able to purchase blocks of time ranging from 2 hours to 24 hours. It will stream the music through the cloud system so nothing is stored on your console and hogging room on you HD.

I am not into karaoke so this doesn't even interest me in the slightest. Nobody wants to hear me sing anyway. It is pretty brutal. I think $25 for one hour would be pretty steep but I could see them charging a monthly fee of some sort.

That is way too steep of a price when I can go karaoke in Little Tokyo for $4 an hour and bring in my own drinks! Why pay to play live when you can buy Sing Star or even sing along to karaoke vids on Youtube? The only way I would pay that much is if it were a singing competition and there were prize money up for grabs. Sorry Xbox, I won't be playing this.

That is way too steep of a price when I can go karaoke in Little Tokyo for $4 an hour and bring in my own drinks! Why pay to play live when you can buy Sing Star or even sing along to karaoke vids on Youtube? The only way I would pay that much is if it were a singing competition and there were prize money up for grabs. Sorry Xbox, I won't be playing this.

That's how I feel about it too. But we should wait until it releases before we make any calls on this. If there really is such a price tag on it, you'd have to believe that this is more than simply Karaoke they plan to do or add to this channel. At least I'd hope that.

You'd be surprised by the number of people willing to pay the $25 for the experience. I for one wouldn't, I already have so much spending to do for the Holidays. I can't wait to see if people say it was worth it, though.

You'd be surprised by the number of people willing to pay the $25 for the experience. I for one wouldn't, I already have so much spending to do for the Holidays. I can't wait to see if people say it was worth it, though.

No matter how ridiculous a product or an idea may seem at the time, there is ALWAYS someone willing to take the leap for it.

You guys said it. They say the whole world has financial problems, yet these companies don't seem to be bothered by the crisis since there will always be people willing to give them money and, when you think about it, they won't be happy with only 1 hour, they'll want more. Oh well, it's their money, they can flush it down the toilet as far as I'm concerned.

You guys said it. They say the whole world has financial problems, yet these companies don't seem to be bothered by the crisis since there will always be people willing to give them money and, when you think about it, they won't be happy with only 1 hour, they'll want more. Oh well, it's their money, they can flush it down the toilet as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, but those same people need to start waking up and realizing that they only have themselves to blame. Companies treat people like sheep when the people allow them to. If they started to use their common sense more and speak with their wallets, this wouldn't even remotely be an issue.

Back