Xbox 360 Legacy of Xbox 360

dannyboy

What do you think is the legacy of the Xbox 360? How do you think it will be remembered 15 years from now? What do you think is the general consensus about the overall quality of this system?

I think the 360 was a solid gaming console, and you have to remember that there were different models with different specs, so with that in mind, I really think the 360 will leave its mark in Videogame history.

I'm surprised that the rough launch the 360 had has been all but forgotten. The failure rate of launch 360's was at least one out of three! That's insane! I don't know how such a broken console made it out the gate. Fortunately, Microsoft made up for it with great games and hardware updates that smoothed all that out. So by the end Microsoft had a real quality product.

The Xbox 360 is an exceptional gaming platform and I think most people will remember it fondly. I think that the 360 has a lot of staying power and that many folks will hold on to theirs long after the Xbox One becomes the new platform of choice. Now, will this platform be as successful and as highly regarded as the PS2? I don't know, but it's a solid platform that has a lot of great games. I love it.

I think people will remember it. Who knows, maybe I will still be using one ten-fifteen years from now. I wonder what new game systems will come out though.

I'm surprised that the rough launch the 360 had has been all but forgotten. The failure rate of launch 360's was at least one out of three! That's insane! I don't know how such a broken console made it out the gate. Fortunately, Microsoft made up for it with great games and hardware updates that smoothed all that out. So by the end Microsoft had a real quality product.

While those flaws were definitely present and terrible, the 360 still managed to get a huge advantage over the competition during its early years. It's quite amazing that the PS3 managed to catch up and, in my opinion, even manage to dethrone the king. I say this because 360 started out having all the exclusives for every taste (even exclusive Japanese games) but eventually the exclusives died down and PS3 started to get many more varied exclusives.

No offense but I think the Xbox 360 will be most remembered as the console with the RROD. It has great games no doubt and is responsible for revolutionizing online gaming on consoles. However, the red rings is so associated to the 360 that it's forever embedded in the history of the Xbox.

Yeah i think the quality features and the games that the Xbox 360 has produced has outweighed any problems they had at the start.

For Good: Great online gameplay

For Bad: "That FPS Console" and having Xbox finish after PlayStation again.

I'd say Halo is one of the main legacies of Xbox as a whole. 360's legacy specifically is online. If you think about it that's not saying much since the generation as a whole was heavy on online, but Xbox 360 just showcased that it could be done properly. That's the specifics of that legacy.

I agree with "For Bad," kinda. I'd put it more at being known as that "Hyper Western" console and not region neutral like the Playstation brand and Nintendo's consoles.

I feel like the 360 is THE xbox console!
Personally the 360 (imo) battled the PS3 very fairly in terms of console wars whereas the generation before it, heavily favored the PS2.
The 360 had several games that made it a cornerstone in it's era of gaming with the likes of the GoW: Trilogy, Halo 3 & 4, and also by securing DLC earlier for AAA-game series CoD shows it was ready for the big leagues in the exciting console war!
The 360 also showed the capability of online functionality and was the gold-standard for years!

The 360's legacy could be bogged down by it's technical shortcomings, but after the sand has settled, there's a reason many people bought a second (or third) console after their's has previous RROD! Cheers!

I enjoy my 360, and I think I've had 2 or 3 now. But part of the reason is because once you build a decent library of games, you don't want to have a busted console to play them on! lol I agree with some of the other posters - I think the 360's legacy will be the shooter console. I love all my games I have for it, but it does seem shooter heavy. That is why I'm really excited about the XBONE because it's a chance for MS to reinvent themselves - Still have a quality product and hopefully some 3rd party devs that want to play with it! I think the current console war and the next one to come it's going to be about what makes the consoles different APART from the games. Because each system is getting closer to the other in terms of processing and graphics power - it's going to have to rely on other things to help, and I think that's why MS was smart in designing the layers in the new console for TV and internet - they're planning long range.

Honestly I think that my Xbox 360 is the best investment that I have ever made in my life in a gaming console. I have played my Xbox 360 a lot and I really think that it is a console that was made with the gamer in mind. The controller is the best that I have ever used in existence and on top of that the xbox 360 has some of the greatest titles in games. The most fun games I have all played on the Xbox 360 and until this day I still play it more than my PS3. I have never regretted my purchase until this day. I am a little nervous about getting the Xbox one since I have not been hearing too many good things about it.

Back