Xbox One Lionhead: Xbox One U-turns show that Microsoft isn't "aloof and removed" from gamers

SiNAR 212

N3RDC0RE
From
MI
This is a good read. This is where i didnt get what Sony was saying at Gamescon other than pot shots. That was a GOOD thing that MSFT turned around and that ment that they were listenign...very close.

Microsoft's dramatic curtailing of such policies as Xbox One's online DRM and always-on Kinect have provoked a certain amount of scorn from some quarters, it's fair to say. Others, however, see these "One80s" as evidence that the manufacturer genuinely cares about the core games enthusiasts it's often accused of abandoning. Among the latter is Lionhead's creative director Gary Carr, who spoke at length to OXM on the subject in an interview you'll find in issue 103.

1.JPG

Via: OXM

Of course, they had to listen. They wouldn't have gotten my money otherwise. They knew that they are going to fail miserable if they won't listen.

Well, yeah, they had to listen if they wanted to get money. Sure, some people actually wanted those crappy policies (some people being stupid and saying it was like Steam which it definitely was not) but those were the minority. They did those reversals for profit. Nothing wrong with that, they did listen but listening to your customers does increase profits. It's like a double win: win on the PR side and win on the profits side.

If only our politicians were that 'motivated' to listen and implement the things we wanted...lol

Well, the thing is, they really are listening, but then they get their position and just sit gathering their money without doing anything for others.
Which is somehow what they are still doing with the Xbox One, changing it so that the maximum number of people get it, but then forget about the other problems.

Them listening is a good thing, because we ALL know that its all about the money. And this helps them land more consoles to people. BUT! I do feel that the whiners who wanted it to change weren't going to by it anyways.

I'm glad they're listening, but as someone getting both consoles I wish Microsoft stuck to their original vision. It would have been interesting to see 2 such different approaches to a console go head-to-head. I though Microsoft was bringing some new and interesting ideas by being always on.

I'm glad they're listening, but as someone getting both consoles I wish Microsoft stuck to their original vision. It would have been interesting to see 2 such different approaches to a console go head-to-head. I though Microsoft was bringing some new and interesting ideas by being always on.

That was me also. I wanted the original concept. MSFT was just going to be the 1st ones to do something that WILL eventually happen. They had the balls if you ask me, and some people were scared of it. Me....I WAS READY FOR IT!!!!!!! lol

That was me also. I wanted the original concept. MSFT was just going to be the 1st ones to do something that WILL eventually happen. They had the balls if you ask me, and some people were scared of it. Me....I WAS READY FOR IT!!!!!!! lol

I never understood all the complaints since most people have their 360 connected all the time by choice nowadays.

I never understood all the complaints since most people have their 360 connected all the time by choice nowadays.

Do most people stay connected 24/7 or do you? There is a major difference after all. Many people will connect, but most often they don't. You can't really go by the forums like this one, because obviously that is a very small selection of people deeply invested in gameplay particularly online gameplay. However, people in the boondocks or those in 2nd or 3rd world countries aren't likely going to be doing that. They are also customers, and of course many gamers these days are older people with responsibilities like children so they maybe can't afford many or any of the "awesome" new features offered "originally" for the Xbone. It didn't help that these kinds of concerns were met with statements like "We have a product for those people - it's called an Xbox 360." Seriously.

Do most people stay connected 24/7 or do you? There is a major difference after all. Many people will connect, but most often they don't. You can't really go by the forums like this one, because obviously that is a very small selection of people deeply invested in gameplay particularly online gameplay. However, people in the boondocks or those in 2nd or 3rd world countries aren't likely going to be doing that. They are also customers, and of course many gamers these days are older people with responsibilities like children so they maybe can't afford many or any of the "awesome" new features offered "originally" for the Xbone. It didn't help that these kinds of concerns were met with statements like "We have a product for those people - it's called an Xbox 360." Seriously.

It's still a fight against the inevitable and realistically the capability to use a gaming console is a privilege not a right. I'm a firm believer that if you have a product image you need not cater to everyone. With that said I understand its a business and therefore you need to enlarge your demographic especially in a competitive market. I think the best route would have been a middle path. Offer a dulled down version of the XB1 with minimal features for those who cannot rely on having an internet connection. It would have been more aligned with the core offerings of the PS4 making it sell to more than just the internet-less buyers.

It's still a fight against the inevitable and realistically the capability to use a gaming console is a privilege not a right. I'm a firm believer that if you have a product image you need not cater to everyone. With that said I understand its a business and therefore you need to enlarge your demographic especially in a competitive market. I think the best route would have been a middle path. Offer a dulled down version of the XB1 with minimal features for those who cannot rely on having an internet connection. It would have been more aligned with the core offerings of the PS4 making it sell to more than just the internet-less buyers.

It is a privilege, but by that same token no one is required to like it. I mean that's kind of an intrinsic human ideology hence movies like the very recent Elysium. It also looks very... I guess bad when compared to either the PS4 or the WiiU. Combined with the past of the Microsoft company, and the fact many of those complaining were servicemen with very little else to do... I mean it just isn't a good look. Also to be completely honest - if they had taken the stance of not changing the system would have been a failure. Do you know who tends to buy most systems? 1st world middle-class and 2nd/3rd world elite. Do you know who would have been cut off the worse by those policies? 1st world middle-class and 2nd/3rd world elite. It just made poor sense - like when the mp3 player was initially thought of in the 70s. Ideas that can't be implemented worth a damn are ideas that will fail.

Game-playing is serious business! It is something that brings in big bucks, so I think it is about time that the big-wigs acknowledge that. Yes, it is a privilege that I am happy to be able to afford, and I feel sorry for anyone who can't enjoy sitting down to a good game every now and then.

Game-playing is serious business! It is something that brings in big bucks, so I think it is about time that the big-wigs acknowledge that. Yes, it is a privilege that I am happy to be able to afford, and I feel sorry for anyone who can't enjoy sitting down to a good game every now and then.

Although I have pre-ordered it, I won't be able to get my hands on until early 2014.

I just feel that this is all too familiar to the excessively negative response Microsoft received last gen for stating a broadband only connection. People protested it would never be okay because not enough people had broadband, but hey the console did fine despite the naysayers. Microsoft has always aimed to be ahead of the curve and I for one am sorry that they backed down this time.

I just feel that this is all too familiar to the excessively negative response Microsoft received last gen for stating a broadband only connection. People protested it would never be okay because not enough people had broadband, but hey the console did fine despite the naysayers. Microsoft has always aimed to be ahead of the curve and I for one am sorry that they backed down this time.

Thats how it is. ALOT of gamers are scared of change. I tell every one this that MSFT had the balls to make the first step when no one else did. Yeah it back fired and they did change their stance but all we did was delay the inevitable. It WILL happen

Back