Xbox One Microsoft Cloud Will Quadruple Power of Xbox One

PB7

Former Administrator
original.jpg

Tomshardware.com is reporting that the Xbox One's ability to offload process to the Microsoft cloud will increase the Xbox One 4 fold. Apparently for every Xbox One build, the cloud will grow for 3 times that amount. So in theory the Xbox One is not limited to the specs of the console as their are far more resources available to it beyond the hardware. Even then its specs are still pretty good.

So what exactly will the Xbox One do with all that cloud processing power and storage? General Manager of Redmond Game Studios and Platforms Matt Booty gave Ars Technica a scenario, describing a scene where the user is moving through a rugged terrain shrouded by volumetric fog.
"Let’s say you’re looking at a forest scene and you need to calculate the light coming through the trees, or you’re going through a and have very dense volumetric fog that’s hugging the terrain," he said. "Those things often involve some complicated up-front calculations when you enter that world, but they don’t necessarily have to be updated every frame. Those are perfect candidates for the console to offload that to the cloud—the cloud can do the heavy lifting, because you’ve got the ability to throw multiple devices at the problem in the cloud."

Via: Tomshardware

Anything to make sure it doesn't get the Red Ring of Death is fine with me. This is one reason that you'll need to be connected to the internet though, to be able to use the Cloud option.

If they tied the power to the sales, then the cloud would just turn off.
Jokes aside, i think that is great and all, but that is on paper. Like that one console that basically streamed to your living room and you played on their servers, with promises of lag free gameplay.
Yeah, that happen really good, hasn't it?

Time is going to tell, its going to come down to execution and how things change after implementation.

That's pretty interesting actually. But they claim you don't need an always-on internet connection, so what happens when you play the same game offline? The graphics are worse?

That's pretty interesting actually. But they claim you don't need an always-on internet connection, so what happens when you play the same game offline? The graphics are worse?

They say it doesn't always need to be online, but it needs to be connected to the internet. Which is confusing to me honestly, but its what they've said in interviews.

I think this is an excellent idea in principle,but I can't see it happening and even if does happen and works really well then I fear Microsoft will want to charge a ridiculous amount of money for it.
I simply cannot see something like this being free(if it works).

Really looking forward how processing can be done on the cloud.
Is it just me or is cloud processing new?

In theory, yes, which actually scares me a bit. But I think it is way to early to even speculate on the pros and cons that this may have, but I love the idea and the tech involved. However if I were to speculate ;) than I would imagine it being something similar to PC requirements. You have your min requirements to run games, in this case it would simply be the standard hardware in the XB1. Then you would have your recommended, optimal specs i.e. XB1 plus an always online connection, to maximize graphical effects. Does think kind of make sense?

In theory, yes, which actually scares me a bit. But I think it is way to early to even speculate on the pros and cons that this may have, but I love the idea and the tech involved. However if I were to speculate ;) than I would imagine it being something similar to PC requirements. You have your min requirements to run games, in this case it would simply be the standard hardware in the XB1. Then you would have your recommended, optimal specs i.e. XB1 plus an always online connection, to maximize graphical effects. Does think kind of make sense?

Put your worries to rest. There's no way for graphical processing to reliably be done over the internet. I believe it was OnLive that tried that route (with streaming games) and that kind of fizzled out. For a variety of reasons I think. One, internet speed is not a consistent thing, so someone may not have a fast enough internet connection to perform "calculations". Two, would the calculations they do not have some serious latency issues? I can not see any sort of AI or Graphical processing being done for this, but it could be possible if they were to use cloud computing for sim games (like SimCity was supposed to).

Back