Xbox One Microsoft: There will always be room for Indies on Xbox One

Damnlag

Website
www.youtubegaming.com
image_34663_thumb_wide940.jpg

As rumors spilled the web over the past week about Indie games, Xbox head Don Mattrick has made it clear that those rumors are false.

"We're going to have an independent creator program," he said. "We're going to sponsor it. We're going to give people tools. We're going to give more information. That is something we think - I think - is important. That's how I started in the industry. There's no way we're going to build a box that doesn't support that.

Indie creators exist right inside our ecosystem. Probably the best example of a huge success is Minecraft. The work that Notch did [was] pretty amazing in the PC space. We're going to support those guys."

Read More!

I never knew minecraft was part of the indie genre, always thought it was something else.

Really liking Micorosoft's decisions so far. The features on the Xbox One might not be so great, but supporting indie game developers, especially smaller companies really shows that they're trying to help them out. Always exciting to hear good news like this.

Awesome, good idea here by Microsoft. Indie games are good for gamers and the aspiring game developers so the more support they receive from Microsoft the better. Let's hope they really pull through here and deliver. XBLA was pretty decent but I think there are a lot of improvements that need to be made and hopefully Microsoft delivers.

This is good news, I assumed it would be the case, but still I'm glad to see it reassured for the next generation. I really like the culture of cheap indie games where some really great original concepts can break through and gain some success. It really seems like a win-win proposition for all involved.

Hopefully they make the indie games more accessible worldwide this time around, since that was my biggest disappointment last generation (no Indie market available in Portugal for example, I imagine it's the same in many other countries).

Hopefully they make the indie games more accessible worldwide this time around, since that was my biggest disappointment last generation (no Indie market available in Portugal for example, I imagine it's the same in many other countries).

One of the things that i thought it was stupid, is that not all the countries had the indie section available. I know it's hard to release something worldwide, but at least they should have make an effort.

I never knew minecraft was part of the indie genre, always thought it was something else.

Minecraft started as an Indie game and became as popular as it is today quickly. Microsoft paid big bucks to get them to bring it to Xbox LIVE Arcade, which isn't necessarily Indie on the Xbox 360 seeing as you have the Retail, Xbox LIVE Arcade and then Xbox LIVE Indie sections. It started as an Indie though.

Glad to hear this. I was actually curious if they were going to have a platform for indie developers and I'm glad they decided to have one. Although, I just hope that they fix the problems they had with Xbox 360 Arcade.

It's nice to see them acknowledge this, but the 360 had some of the worst indie support i have ever seen. Apart from the ones that made it to Xbox Live Arcade, their whole indie section was carefully hidden and never promoted. Like a dirty little secret hidden in the basement. A lot of people don't even know there is such a section.

But Xbox Live Arcade has had some great indie titles, i just hear it's somewhat expensive and cumbersome to make the cut.

It's nice to see them acknowledge this, but the 360 had some of the worst indie support i have ever seen. Apart from the ones that made it to Xbox Live Arcade, their whole indie section was carefully hidden and never promoted. Like a dirty little secret hidden in the basement. A lot of people don't even know there is such a section.

But Xbox Live Arcade has had some great indie titles, i just hear it's somewhat expensive and cumbersome to make the cut.

I think many were introduced to Indie games when popular titles like I made a game with zombies and FortressCraft (A Minecraft Clone) were made. Everyone I knew was playing those games for a month or so.

Back