Netflix and Messenger fighting?

Murray

From
Midwest US
Something I've noticed that's been happening lately is when we use our Netflix app that Messenger will disconnect at the conclusion of the first piece of media.

It could be a TV show, a movie or even resumption of something we were watching earlier but messenger will always disconnect after the first round of content finishes. Its not that I use messenger and honestly this isn't the first time that my 360 and messenger have not got along, but I thought it was interesting.

There are a lof of weird things that happen mid transition to new consoles or new backbone server networks I'm sure. I wonder if the feud between Netflix and messenger is part of it.

Then again it could just be life.

I personally never use the messenger, so I suppose I wouldn't know. I do know that the Netflix app on Xbox Live is very poorly designed. By comparison, the Netflix app on the PS3 (while still imperfect) is a lot easier to use. It doesn't surprise me that it would be in conflict with other applications or features, though. I hope they release an update for Netflix soon, because there are a lot of problems with it right now.

I've gotten use to going into settings and turning Messenger off in general now a days. Nothing is worse then playing some Dark Souls and you're trying to concentrate on not being mutilated and then the Messenger pop up appears and you get stabbed by something terrible and horrific.

I still don't have a use for Messenger, anyone I want to talk to is on my Friend's list or on my Skype list on my laptop. Maybe it won't be something that just turns on with the Xbox One, maybe we're stuck with it forever.

Netflix on 360 is easy to navigate. As for messenger ehh it never bothers me I get messages while playing bl2 allot. People wanting my guns or to follow and level up.

But Netflix is easier to use than amazon prime app.

I haven't used the Amazon Prime app. Mine expired a few months ago and I haven't renewed it. I know that my Roku does everything I want it to with Amazon and I haven't used it on my main TV where the 360 is. Netflix is really strange on the 360. It acts buggy, it acts like its netcode doesn't know what to do and the times when I get HD/none HD content is kind of strange. I use wireless right now but I had the same content issues when it was physically hooked to the router as well. I really think its the app that's causing the problems.

In other words, I totally agree, redo the app!

the app is fine... sound s like your wireless router is slow... i had this same problem few months back... i had your run of the mill netgear wireless home unit.. when starting a movie it was very grainey with 1-2 bars on netflix.. but after 2 minutes it has bufed enough info and gotten ahead of the movie it streamed in hd.... as for navigating the app.... same issue.. if i tried to scroll fast(left/right bumper) it would black screen till it caught up. if i tried to run thru catigories.. from say recently watch to new release.. it would take a minute to compute the films i pased by...

it did this if i was hard wired or wireless... it was even worse if someone was on a laptop,iphone,ipad or trying to pull data from my wireless router and forget f i was updating or downloading something alllot of times it would sit and spin that circle thing... i recently switched to a e300 gaming wireless router and it has improved quite a bit... i can now run ipad2,iphone and my 360 and only notice a little lag... if i am on my mackbook and 360 it will lag a bit...

if your problem is with how netflix navigates than idk what to say.. its as straight forward as possible.. my mother 55+ ues it on an ipad2(netflix) and has no issues and cant turn a computer on... prime is horrible compared to netflix.. i do get a little lost in al lthe types of movies and some cross title stuff but past that the content is not new or anything great... netflix does ok but having prime+netflix gets you a much broader library from movie to tv... just need to know what ur after...

now if their was an app that linked your stream able titles together.. netflix+hulu+prime+redbox than we would be in killer shape.. the problem is nothing is reconized cross applications for same streaming titles or what has already ben watched

It's probably best just to turn them off, I would think. I used to have my messenger account connected to my 360, but I got sick of always being told when someone signed on or off, or anything like that. I don't use my Xbox 360 for messaging because I don't want to take five minutes to type a sentence out with the controller.

I wouldn't be surprised if they really are fighting. Everyone seems keen to cash in on gaming consoles lol especially with the advent of consoles that can be networked, everyone wants to get a slice of the pie :)

I haven't thought about checking it in a little while. I've been busy with the Steam sale, working a couple of side jobs and playing through Dark Souls while adding to the forum as I progress. No netflix in that. I also have a lot of stuff to do around the house as far as furniture moves go and setting up some rooms and possibly moving my office which will cause my down time on Steam/Xbox to increase. Always busy but that's not a bad thing.

Back