Nintendo announces the 2DS.

Claptrap

2ds-610x486.jpg

Nintendo announced the 2DS today, a new entry-level handheld system. The 2DS will be available for $129.99 on October 12th (the same day as Pokemon X and Y) and features a slate-like design rather than the clamshell seen on DS and 3DS models.

The 2DS is fully compatible with all 3DS and DS games but does not include the ability to display games in 3D. It still features all the functionality of 3DS (WiFi, local multiplayer, etc.) and can be put to sleep using a slider that replicates closing the clamshell on a standard 3DS. WiFi can still be turned off, though it’s done via controls in the software rather than with a physical switch.

Read more: Nintendo Announces 2DS - IGN

...what the hell is this thing even... whaaaaat... that price is great but that thing looks awful and uncomfortable to play on.

I don't know why everyone is hating on this! It looks pretty cute to me. If it has the rough grip feel to it I think it will feel perfect. I was never a fan of nintendo consoles and have never bought one, but am literally considering buying this.

It's great for the price range and the fact that it plays all the 3DS games is amazing!

Oh man lol, my wife was trying SO hard to get me to buy a 3DS and I wa slike nooo ill wiat...BAM!!!! Payed off totally lol. Ill for sure buy this for only $130! AND i can use both DS and 3DS games...baller lol

Well i ain't complaining because you still got the 3DS and 3DSXL, but i ain't praising it either.
Done with today, let me just fold it so i can keep it aw- oh, oh wait...
And you don't have the 3D which, while might seem a gimmick, it's a cool gimmick to return to from time to time.

On the one hand there is no way I'm investing in this... thing. On the other hand - this is a great idea that ties into the WiiU system. If you can condition folks to love the tablet then you can get them to buy the goshforsaken system. It all makes a kind of sense, yes?
1. 2DS
2.????
3. Profit!!!!

It's a really decent price. I thought it looked weird at first, without a closeable clam shell body, but I think it could work. It DOES seem like a tablet of sorts, at least the shape.

I'm not sure I'd personally care for it's shape, but I bet it's ideal for some people.

I don't know why everyone is hating on this! It looks pretty cute to me. If it has the rough grip feel to it I think it will feel perfect. I was never a fan of nintendo consoles and have never bought one, but am literally considering buying this.

It's great for the price range and the fact that it plays all the 3DS games is amazing!

I don't really get the hate either. I mean, I dislike it because it looks silly, has a stupid name and it looks uncomfortable (something I can't truly be sure of unless I get my hands on one). Otherwise, it's a genius piece of hardware. The cheaper price along with the release being the same days as Pokémon X/Y will ensure that it will sell a lot to people that only want a 3DS for X/Y and for parents that want to buy "the pokémon playing thingamajig" for their kids.

Hell, I would want a 2DS if I didn't already have a 3DS around, because I couldn't care less for the 3D gimmick (everytime I try it I end up seeing blurry crap instead of 3D anyway).

I think if you don't care about it not having 3D then it's a great investment. It seems to basically be a differently designed 3DS minus the 3D, that's quite a bit cheaper.

Do you think the screen would hold up well? I'm so used to the clamshell one closing and protecting it, that I'd be a bit cautious of dropping it. Or do you think it would withstand?

Do you think the screen would hold up well? I'm so used to the clamshell one closing and protecting it, that I'd be a bit cautious of dropping it. Or do you think it would withstand?

This thing sure looks sturdy enough - in fact this is what I might suggest for parents with either small children or children who don't understand the value of a dollar. This thing looks less likely to get jacked up than a typical model... Maybe that's why they did it - get ahold of the demographic you really can't trust not to destroy a DS/3DS.

I would honestly rather just get a 3DS, this thing looks so darn ugly in my opinion. It looks like i'll be playing on a block if I play on that. I doubt it would even fit in my pocket too.

Wow, I think that is actually pretty great. This would be a great present for my son's birthday, which is only a few days after the release. And he loves pokemon. He's been begging me to get him the 3DS, but he has the DSi and I wasn't about to buy it since he just got the DSi not too long ago. The price tag on the 2DS makes this a very appealing alternative.

So do you think it's worth it to upgrade to this from the DSi? What do you think makes it better? I'm trying to figure out what appeals to people about it.

As faspr as the screen, I was thinking more along the lines of if a kid dropped it face down or left it in a hot car. I wasn't sure how strong a screen we are dealing with.

None of that was meant to be snarky in anyway, by the way, I just wanted to point that out in case it came off weird :)
I'm just genuinely curious what you like about it.

I don't see why they shouldn't release this. A lot of people were getting dizzy and having eye strains from the 3d technology. I put the 3d slider at halfway when i play 3ds games. I don't think that the 2ds looks ugly at all.

I don't care for the name, as it seems like a step backwards, but I guess that's pretty darn petty. I will be curious to see one on display so I can really see for myself.

I don't care for the name, as it seems like a step backwards, but I guess that's pretty darn petty. I will be curious to see one on display so I can really see for myself.

I agree about the name. It was the same issue with Wii U. Nintendo has to have one of the worst marketing departments in business history. I think that 3ds and 2ds are both very lame names. It's like they spent only a day or two brainstorming the names and couldn't come up with anything catchy so they went with these pathetic monikers.

Why the hell are they bringing this out. This just looks like crap. It is going to break easier because it can't fold, hard to play and be generally crap. Usually I am behind Nintendo and the stuff they bring out but I must say this seems like an April fools joke.

Why the hell are they bringing this out. This just looks like crap. It is going to break easier because it can't fold, hard to play and be generally crap. Usually I am behind Nintendo and the stuff they bring out but I must say this seems like an April fools joke.

I know it, it just seems like an exposed screen like that would crack unless you put it in a protective case. However it's shaped so odd I'm not sure that would work.

Back