Nintendo Wii Thoughts

dannyboy

What are your overall thoughts on the quality of this console and its collection of games?

I think the Wii is an overall good console, but has underwhelming technical specs for its time and an emphasis on control schemes that I'm not so interested in. Of course, the games are the most important aspect, and it does have a great library of games, although the vast majority of the greats are first party. It's my least favorite console of the seventh gen, but that isn't to say it's not good.

It's great. There is a dearth of quality games in comparison to its competitors, but its emphasis on genuine fun can't be matched. I spent much more time on Smash Bros Brawl than I did on any game from Microsoft or Sony. And really, that's why I play games -- to have fun. The Virtual Console also holds an amazing library from gaming's past, something that hasn't quite been matched by any modern console.

It's crap.Most overrated console of all time...

I would disagree and say that the Wii is actually very underrated. People often looked at all of the garbage motion control games and wrote the system off. In reality, the Wii was a solid system with a good library of great games. Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Galaxy 1&2, and Donkey Kong Country returns are just a few of the great games that are on the Wii.

Remember, Graphics aren't everything.

I honestly love the Wii. The problem this console had or has (WiiU) is that people/gamers are ridiculously conservative in nature. So they keep an eye or ear out for things like Mario, but ignore other games that are as fun or at times "hardcore". Truthfully the Wii has a large library with many interesting entries - from No More Heroes to Cursed Mountain to Silent Hill and Resident Evil (4). Also the 1st party entries were awesome - see Dame6089.

The Wii was a pretty good console, I certainly had my fun times with it. The introduction of the wiimote made it amazing when it first came out. The games were fun and I had quite the collection of games. I also used it for Netflix and watching DVDs (homebrew) if I wasn't playing a game.

Just like the Gamecube, it will be one of those that will be brought back in conversations in the future years for a lot of great games that it had. It had a great library of games, the only drawback being the lack of compatibility for HDMI. But seeing how the Wii U has backwards compatibility, i think we can now have the best of both worlds.

I think the console is okay, but it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles like xbox and ps3. It just is so simplified and seamless that I feel like I am not getting enough bang for my buck. Also there is not huge community like with xbox live and ps3.

Just like the Gamecube, it will be one of those that will be brought back in conversations in the future years for a lot of great games that it had. It had a great library of games, the only drawback being the lack of compatibility for HDMI. But seeing how the Wii U has backwards compatibility, i think we can now have the best of both worlds.

I agree. If you objectively look at the Wii's library, it is solid. People just hopped on the motion controls hate bandwagon and never hopped off. Yes, a lot of games used motion controls as a gimmick, but a lot of games also used it perfectly.

It's crap that's why I sold mine and never wanted to play it again because the games suck.

I think the console is okay, but it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles like xbox and ps3. It just is so simplified and seamless that I feel like I am not getting enough bang for my buck. Also there is not huge community like with xbox live and ps3.

...What? I guess that's what I don't get - because there are bells and whistles, but they are focused on the games versus doing everything but gaming. I guess that's why it happens to be my favorite console of the last wave followed by the 360.

Personally I think the console is more suited for e rated games and is mostly used by kids or moms that think they're cool.

Just an aside for those who consider the Wii a console for kids - do you actually own one? And if you do what games do you have for it? If you don't then how did you come to this particular stance? It's something I've always wondered.

Let me tell you straight up, its ok for kids.

I'm 23 years old and I have a feeling that I have played games longer than you've been alive? What are you basing this off of? Because it doesn't have great online? Really, enlighten me.

great system so much they could have done still done with it like add some more apps

They needed to move on from the Wii. You have to consider that the Wii came out of the gates with technology that was barely better than the previous generation. I loved the Wii, but it was time for a change. It was not built to have as long of a life cycle as the 360 and PS3.

I bought. Wii ages ago when it was first released and my first thought was it seemed quite awesome but after several weeks after engaging games on it, I found it quite dull compared to the gaming in the Xbox or a ps3, As a matter of fact, the PC is a better console for gaming then the wii.

I really loved the Wii and its line-up, most of the games however required a lot of social interaction to really have some fun though. Other than that, it’s tempting for people to want to modify it a bit for other uses since it’s pretty much outdated to most.

I loved Twilight Princess in particular because of the darker theme, and I remember being so caught up with the hype when watching G4TV and E3 videos and trailers on it. Tales of Symphonia 2 caught my interest, and even though most hated the voice-acting, I love RPGs all the way.

I still play Call of Duty games (Black Ops, MW3, Reflex, and even World at War) and Wii Sports along with Wii Sports Resorts. The controls were easy to get into and it’s nice to shift from XBOX to a more flexible Wii controller every now and then. I guess it’s harder to enjoy things if people have stronger predispositions for one console over the other.

Back