Nintendo: Wii U Still Sold at a Loss

Clark Bruce

Nintendo: Wii U Still Sold at a Loss - VGChartz

Back when the Nintendo Wii U was first released, the company revealed that the system would be sold at a loss. Now, almost a year later it has been announced by Nintendo themselves that the system is still being sold at a loss. This is bad news, as I think in order for Nintendo to compete with the two upcoming systems about to be released, they really need to cut the price.

I agree with you, they might have to cut the price if they wanna compete with the PS4 and X1, which will be hard to do if it's already selling at a loss... damn, poor Nintendo. Oh well, at least 2014 has a great game line-up (as I mentioned in another thread) so I'm sure they will sell lots of units without a price drop, if only because Smash is system seller.

Yeah they really messed up pretty big with this console of theirs, I've played it and enjoyed it too some degree but never to the point where I wanted to buy one myself which might have been their downfall. Now with the the new consoles coming out I really think it's grave is truly dug.

The interesting thing is that Sony and Microsoft have always sold their products at a loss and this is really the first generation where Nintendo hasn't. I wouldn't be surprised if a price drop was coming sometime near Christmas, so lets hope they have a nice a good enough lineup of games to sell to make up the difference.

I really honestly hope the price drops. It's way out of my price range. Especially for the amount of games it offers. My sister wants to buy her son either a Wii or a Wii U and I honestly am not sure what to tell her to buy. Is the Wii being phased out, or is it still a good choice?

I really honestly hope the price drops. It's way out of my price range. Especially for the amount of games it offers. My sister wants to buy her son either a Wii or a Wii U and I honestly am not sure what to tell her to buy. Is the Wii being phased out, or is it still a good choice?

So I guess you'll be waiting on the PS4 and Xbone? Seriously though you should get the WiiU since Nintendo is still making their systems backwards compatible. A WiiU will play a Wii game... however a Wii will play a Gamecube game. Depending on what you have a lot of or look to purchase in the future you might want the very, very, very cheap Wii systems floating around (Gamestop has some for 69 bucks) or you might want to invest in a WiiU.

Seeing how they managed to old out after the Gamecube marketing failure, i think the Wii U is just another one of those experimental consoles, but soon they will go back to something that will help them rise up to the top.

Seeing how they managed to old out after the Gamecube marketing failure, i think the Wii U is just another one of those experimental consoles, but soon they will go back to something that will help them rise up to the top.

I don't really see the issue with this system. I mean especially with the Xbone and PS4 trying to tie in the usage of tablets just like the WiiU. I think Nintendo's biggest issue is dealing with finicky gamers who are more concerned with flash and bang than with the actual merits of a system. At least in the West - I expect Nintendo to do very well in Asian markets throughout the next couple of years.

I'm leaning more and more towards a Wii U right now. I'd love the xbone but I plan to wait until its been out for awhile before I get it. I'm going to see what's happening with Wii U closer to November.

I'm leaning more and more towards a Wii U right now. I'd love the xbone but I plan to wait until its been out for awhile before I get it. I'm going to see what's happening with Wii U closer to November.

Honestly Wii U isn't really going to blossom until like 2014 so check back then. I say that as someone who bought this at like drop. I have faith in this console and I am banking on it's potential in the future.

This is bad news this could mean that nintendo could go down the only console i enjoyed from nintendo is the wii and maybe the DS at times with good games maybe.

Back