Xbox One Oculus Rift will support the Xbox One/PS4??

ozadin

I would really love to see this implemented. The Oculus Rift has excited a lot of people, the first immersive headset ever! The article explains that the Oculus Rift may be compatible for both consoles somewhere down the line. Right now, they are mainly focused on the Android and PC version, but once they finish that, consoles are the next priority. This will open up a new way of gaming, and I'm very excited for that.

“Well, we love consoles. We play them a lot,” said Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe. “There’s no reason it can’t technically work, it’s just getting everybody involved. Right now we’re focused on the PC platform and Android.”

Via: Trusted Reviews

This is a cool idea to entertain, but the timeline for this is a really long time. I would expect Freedom Fighters 2 to come out before this happens.

It is sweet but it won't be cheap by any means.
It is advertised like a console so it would be competing with ps4/xb1. Games are developed for the rift and at this point only 1 game is developed exclusively for it.

Yeah it's great that they are trying to implement this feature, as Oculus Rift does look to be something very promising and exciting. Still I doubt it will happen anytime soon. I think for the first two years or so, both Sony and Microsoft will focus on their respective consoles and later on start looking to see what they can implant in their systems.

Microsoft would be dumb to go 3rd party when it has illumi room as a in house development.

Yeah, I've seen this discussed on here before, I don't give much credence to it. I'm sure from Oculus's point of view, they'd love to make it compatible with the next gen consoles (or perhaps any consoles, really), they'd sell a boat load if that were the case, so I'm sure they're very open to the idea. However, like sc_shark points out, if you notice these consoles don't really like to just cut other companies in on the profits when they can just make those type of things themselves, and you better believe Microsoft and Sony have the technological ability to make their own Oculus Rift-type headset. So, I would say you might see that sort of technology on a console eventually, but don't expect it to be made by Oculus. We can always hope though!

I am sure if/when Microsoft wanted to include Oculus support, they'd just buy them outright and add the functionality to the Xbox.

Back