oh no ps4 have to pay for online play.lol

sc_shark

Xbox Live Gold is a carry-over from the Xbox 360, and Microsoft has said that the service will cost the same amount — $5 a month, or $59.99 a year for a 12-month subscription, $24.99 for three months, or $10 a month on a month-to-month basis. While many Xbox fans have argued that this kind of premium membership makes for a better (and more secure) online service than what Sony offered for the PlayStation 3 for free, it's nevertheless annoyed many a gamer who suddenly realizes they have to pay an additional $60 — every year — just to be able to watch Netflix on a device they already shelled out hundreds of dollars for.

As if on queue, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida jumped on Twitter shortly after Microsoft's announcement to tell inquiring PlayStation fans that, yes, the PS4's recording and sharing features will not require a premium PlayStation Plus subscription, which costs $49.99 a year. Previously at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, Sony had snuck in a controversial announcement that for the first time in the company's history, it would require a PS Plus subscription for online multiplayer for the PS4.

seems ps is following in xbox foot steps.. revolt ps fan boys revolt. slam ur almight system and its builders uprise and bash them openly online... tear their company down.lol

I have never been a fan of paying to play online because it has been free since its conception on PCs and (as far as I know) the Dreamcast on consoles. I mean, you paid for your game you paid for your Internet connection, why should you pay more to actually play your game. It's even more ridiculous if the game is primarily multiplayer.

I have been enticed to buy a PS+ subscription simply because it provides a great service but it's certainly not something for everyone, so I do not agree with their decision at all.

*Logs back into Steam*

Eh I can't say it really effects me that much seeing as it's still $10 bucks cheaper than Xbox Gold so there's that. Also I'm not sure if playing online will be something I really care about if I eventually get a PS4, seeing as I currently don't play online often on my PS3 and since I don't care for games where multiplayer is a big deal such as Call of Duty or Battlefield.

As Fanta mentioned Steam is still free to use so there's that for us PC elitist master race.

Playstation Plus is still a better service because it's cheaper and it offers "free" games while you are subscribed. Plus, this sounds like a troll thread anyway.

its called stiring the pot. i personally dont care but it seems to be a huge thing on various boards or fb so i figured id poke fun at it.

Playstation Plus is still a better service because it's cheaper and it offers "free" games while you are subscribed. Plus, this sounds like a troll thread anyway.

seems like a double post ;)

how are games free wile you are subscribed... right now xb gold is doing 2 a month but ur paying for the service just like ps... nothing is free.

again it mixing it up. ur taking it way to serious.

This isn't actually that big of a deal, as PlayStation Plus is definitely one of , if not the best deals in gaming at the moment. Like ClapTrap said, PS Plus is such a great deal and Microsoft can't even compare with it. Sure Microsoft may be giving away two free games but look at the games they are giving away. Those games are sometimes 2 and 33 years old, while Sony is giving away recent games such as Hitman: Absolution. Plus, online multiplayer will be only thing behind a paywall, unlike Microsoft where everything is behind a paywall.

Who cares? Play what console you want, stop worrying about the other. Both have games that we play, we enjoy both consoles because both offer different games than others that we can enjoy playing. We don't play the consoles for the services all the time, while one may offer some of this, the other one always has something else. They're different, we all have our own opinions on what we like and dislike. Nobody is going to agree with each other and everyone's going to spend there money on a Ford car even though the Chevrolet car does the same stuff. We have options, a choice, which is what I love the most. So when I read these threads, I can't help but laugh at you people because your sticking up for a company that literally doesn't give a crap about what you say half the time. Both consoles are in this for making money, its a business for them. They will do what it takes to compete in the game and try to be better than the other. And at the end of the day, its just a game.

I guess this is not good news, but I am really not surprised. So long as it works out cheaper than Xbox One online then I am sort of happy (because out of both consoles I'm vouching on getting a PS4 first).

seems like a double post ;)

how are games free wile you are subscribed... right now xb gold is doing 2 a month but ur paying for the service just like ps... nothing is free.

again it mixing it up. ur taking it way to serious.

Yeah, it was a double post, my bad. Connection crapped out, happens a lot...

Also, I said "free" because people call them free, but they are more like... rentals than anything.

And I'm not really taking it seriously or anything. You shared stuff and gave your opinion and I gave my opinion on it, not much more to it, heh.

Yeah like said before why are we really even worrying about, I think it would have been better if you had just not started this thread to begin with.

I think this is still a useful topic to discuss despite what was presented in the original post.

Who cares? Play what console you want, stop worrying about the other. Both have games that we play, we enjoy both consoles because both offer different games than others that we can enjoy playing. We don't play the consoles for the services all the time, while one may offer some of this, the other one always has something else. They're different, we all have our own opinions on what we like and dislike. Nobody is going to agree with each other and everyone's going to spend there money on a Ford car even though the Chevrolet car does the same stuff. We have options, a choice, which is what I love the most. So when I read these threads, I can't help but laugh at you people because your sticking up for a company that literally doesn't give a crap about what you say half the time. Both consoles are in this for making money, its a business for them. They will do what it takes to compete in the game and try to be better than the other. And at the end of the day, its just a game.
I'm not sure this is the best way to approach this discussion. The conversation really should be whether you feel it is appropriate to force your customers into buying a paid subscription to use your online services - which you need to pay for on top of your Internet bills and your actual game purchase (which may only have a multiplayer mode so lolguesswhathappensifyoudon'thaveasubscription). It really shouldn't have anything to so with console biases.

I know for me I dislike subscribing for online play regardless of the fact that Microsoft have required it for years for the reasons I explained earlier in the thread. It has nothing to do with brand loyalty, it is being against the concept as a whole.

From what I know the playstation plus offers free games and other special offers, not targeting the free online play that playstation does. While xbox targets to charge almost all the online activity on the xbox, it's a pretty big difference where the playstation pulls ahead, sadly.

I have to agree with the notion this is a troll thread - it doesn't open a topic of discussion so much as it presents a taunt with bad grammar and worse spelling. If It mentioned how the new pay system would function or contrasted PSN with Xbox Live then that'd be entirely different. So yeah. That said even with having to pay for PSN now its still a better overall deal than Xbox Live and I say that as someone who has always defended the Live for the 360.

I dont mind paying if its worth it.

Back in the day, when sony and microsoft didn't run central servers for everything it was one thing to not pay, but running central servers costs money and they have to do it somehow.. With valve it's a different story, because of stuff like tf2 and dota making them money, they have no need for a pay for membership..

The great component of PlayStation 3 which I had hoped Microsoft followed was the free member online and free member ship. I would always be baffled at the thought of games like FIFA 13 where you had to have an online pass when you already payed around 60$ for the game and another 60$ on top for the gaming console membership which you had to have to enjoy it to the full experience. I will always regret making my parents buy Xbox 360 memberships when I was a child. I was almost thinking of buying the PlayStation four because I had thought that it would be free like the PlayStation three but I guess I was wrong. I do understand why they have made that move because they want to keep up with their biggest marketing competitor Microsoft. I think the community for PlayStation 4 would have superb if they hadn't made it so you would have to pay and make it identical to the Xbox. I agree to the idea and we should revolt, but in their defense they have to make a living, they have to pay all their employees, and be competitive with other marketers.

I have never been a fan of paying to play online because it has been free since its conception on PCs and (as far as I know) the Dreamcast on consoles. I mean, you paid for your game you paid for your Internet connection, why should you pay more to actually play your game. It's even more ridiculous if the game is primarily multiplayer.

I have been enticed to buy a PS+ subscription simply because it provides a great service but it's certainly not something for everyone, so I do not agree with their decision at all.

*Logs back into Steam*

Agreed, considering both companies profit from every game sold on their console just like steam does, it's not like it's costing them a fortune. Steam is one of the profitable platforms ever but they only take a small percentage of sales and such.

Back