Opinions on Steam?

Khronic

From
Connecticut
What are your guys' opinion on Steam? I know some people don't really like it because it's a form of DRM, but I for the most part enjoy using it. Though what I'm really for is their summer sales (there's going to be some later today). To be fair, other retailers have stepped up like Amazon, they had a huge sale the other day.

What's your guys' take?

i have never used it... but in light of the recent give away from microsoft/live i have come to enjoy the free games and drm style downloading / 0 disks, and such.. microsoft has started a sale thin with some big title games are really good prices 20bux for recent big title.. far cry 3, boarderlands2 and a few others... if they keep it up it will deffantly keep me from gamestop used games.

i guess with that said steam is similar and offers good deals id enjoy it... their are always games id love to try but dont feel day 1 need to buy. and with a good price drop id be willing to give them a shot...

I like Steam. I like the idea that they managed to simplify the number of clutter there was on your PC. You can easily manage your games on Steam, and significantly decrease the clutter of games on your PC. I'm a very clean guy, so I don't like seeing icons over my desktop, and with Steam, that easily solves my problem. The great thing about it is that you can link external games as well. They have seasonal deals which is great, and most of the sales they put a discount on are great. I'm hoping the Steam sale is real soon, Amazon and a few other websites have started their summer sales already. Hopefully, it's not like last year where they started the Summer sale near the end.

Steam is great, you can't go wrong with sales and free weekends. I have nothing bad to say about it other than the support. Now it's nobodies fault other than mine but they took almost a week to answer my ticket, and when I finally got a response it took 3 more days of conversing to come to a conclusion. All in all a great platform for PC, on holidays I get gifted games from my friends :)

Steam is ace, the sales are mad. I've seen games go down by 91% although most go down by 75% which is still insanely good. It does have it's downsides though; the Steam app/program is pretty poorly written and it causes a lot of lag and likes to crash often, it is a form of DRM like the OP pointed out so have to connect to the internet every month which is reasonable I suppose and also you may only get one refund ever, after that you will never ever qualify for a refund. The customer support is also pretty shocking and rarely helpful, but I don't really care , the sales are amazing.

Seriously, Steam is great. Login from the client on any PC with an internet connection anywhere and access your games library instantly. All you have to do is download them. There are so many great sales of like 70% off and so on that I've managed to build up a vast collection of games seriously cheaply.
I mean for example a few months back they had a Rockstar sale and I picked up the Entire GTA collection including IV and the Lost & Damned and TBOGT for only £6.99!
You can't asks for more than that now can you?

Steam is amazing, I have found a new great way to game. Especially when sales come around, it's hard not to buy a game I've always wanted to try for $5. Doesn't get much better than that.

Steam's great. The sales are good and Steamworks (which some games use for online features) is pretty functional. It's pretty tame as far as DRM goes, too. If you've logged into your account while online and told it to remember you, you can just launch it in offline mode in case of internet connectivity issues, for example.

My only issue with Steam is downloading games, but I mostly blame my terrible internet connection for this.

Well I would have to say Steam is a pretty good distribution platform for games on the PC, at least that's what I think but I do use it almost every day. There are some things I dislike about it but it has most of the games I want to play and I can usually get quite a lot of them on sale such as during the Summer or Winter sale.
I would also suggest GOG.com because they're similar to Steam but have more of the older games and a lot of games Steam does not have, also their games are DRM free becase they don't have a client you download from.

I think Steam has some very great offers. It's better to pay a few bucks for an old game than to just download it from any shady server in Romania.

Steam has an excellent library and great sales, unfortunately I don't really care for them. Their app is worthless, the program is laggy and forever crashing. I hate their customer service team nearly as much as they hate doing their job... and overall I'm just not a PC gamer. That said if you can get pass the downsides it does have quite a bit to offer especially in cooperation with Humble Bundle.

Back