Orbis

Spinner

Has anyone else heard that the next Playstation console will be called Orbis? Seriously, what is up with the name? I also heard a rumour that the Orbis would not be backwards compatible and you would not be able to play used games on it. What are your thoughs on this?

Hello Spinner,

I have heard the news about Sony's next generation console. As far as I know 'Orbis' is just the code name given during testing phase. The same is true when Nintendo gave the code-name 'Dolphin' before it was officially named Nintendo Gamecube. I suspect it may be released as simply, PlayStation 4- but we cannot be certain. The Orbis will not be backwards compatible, due to Sony's past learning experience with the PlayStation 3 release. Given all the components within the old-bulky backwards compatible PS3 systems, Sony lost money for many years on each system manufactured. For the future, it seems that most games from the previous generation system will end up being downloadable content on the PlayStation Network store. This is an iteration we already see with DLC for the Final Fantasy PlayStation One games, and PSP High Definition releases. This will be an official means of playing much of the PS3 games on the PlayStation 4.

Still, this is a double-edged sword. Sony has also taken an extra effort against piracy by locking PlayStation games to a single console, through online verification and downloadable content. The console must always be online to play your games. Furthermore, any Disc based game will be locked to your PlayStation 4 (Orbis) once it has been scanned. This means your friend cannot, take your PS4 disc and play it on his PlayStation 4. PlayStation wants a definite pipeline to maximize profit, by forcing customers to buy new/unused copies of the game. This goes without saying that rental companies like Gamefly, EB Games & Game Spot are going to feel the fire. Luckily it is rumored that Xbox 720 will NOT be taking this approach of locking games to a system in order to combat piracy.

This is why I believe Xbox will ultimately be the system of choice for most gamers, if they cannot afford a PC.

Last edited:
Hello Spinner,

I have heard the news about Sony's next generation console. As far as I know 'Orbis' is just the code name given during testing phase. The same is true when Nintendo gave the code-name 'Dolphin' before it was officially named Nintendo Gamecube. I suspect it may be released as simply, PlayStation 4- but we cannot be certain. The Orbis will not be backwards compatible, due to Sony's past learning experience with the PlayStation 3 release. Given all the components within the old-bulky backwards compatible PS3 systems, Sony lost money for many years on each system manufactured. For the future, it seems that most games from the previous generation system will end up being downloadable content on the PlayStation Network store. This is an iteration we already see with DLC for the Final Fantasy PlayStation One games, and PSP High Definition releases. This will be an official means of playing much of the PS3 games on the PlayStation 4.

Still, this is a double-edged sword. Sony has also taken an extra effort against piracy by locking PlayStation games to a single console, through online verification and downloadable content. The console must always be online to play your games. Furthermore, any Disc based game will be locked to your PlayStation 4 (Orbis) once it has been scanned. This means your friend cannot, take your PS4 disc and play it on his PlayStation 4. PlayStation wants a definite pipeline to maximize profit, by forcing customers to buy new/unused copies of the game. This goes without saying that rental companies like Gamefly, EB Games & Game Spot are going to feel the fire. Luckily it is rumored that Xbox 720 will NOT be taking this approach of locking games to a system in order to combat piracy.

This is why I believe Xbox will ultimately be the system of choice for most gamers, if they cannot afford a PC.

Written very well. Kudos for the put for effort in explaining to the community.

I think that is only the name of the prototype hardware or something like that, Sony will release the new console with the name Ps-something.

When it comes to specs, Orbis use eight-core processor, Orbis also features Radeon HD graphics hardware. Running at 850MHz and featuring 20 of AMD's "Graphics Core Next" compute units. Incorporated into a design dedicated to cutting-edge visuals and gameplay, this hardware has some serious potential.

Back