Original Xbox DVD drive issues

CompuTech

Hi, I have a version 1.1 Xbox manufactured November 15th, 2001. (It is a refurb unit). Being as old as it is, it has a Thompson drive. It has been working fine since I got about a month ago, What is happening is the tray is opening and closing like it should. But I noticed it wasn't reading ANY disks I threw at it. No matter what. On closer inspection, the disks weren't actually spinning. Later it started spinning them, but no reading. And when I went to eject them, it would no longer wait for them to spin down, instead just having them come out still spinning at full speed. Then it stopped spinning later today. Now it's spinning and not reading. I don't know what to do, I would prefer not to spend an exorbitant amount of money on a new disk drive. If I were to, I would just end up buying another, and swap parts. There is a place near me that sells them fairly cheap. Where I got the one I have now. I have no hands on experience working on one. As I grew up with a PS2 and later a Wii. I used a FOX demo disk as a test disk, It played it when I got it.(All of the disks I used have been used with the console before successfully and are clean and in good shape) No matter what, It says it cannot read the disk, eject disk to continue

I know this is an old post but thought I'd give it an answer just in case. I have a similar Xbox. One day the drive in it quit spinning up disks and saying thatthe disk was unreadable. Found out that the pcb board on the drive was faulty. You can purchase just the board on eBay but what I did was buy another Xbox locally and the dvd drive from it to allow me to softmod my Xbox. I then tsop flashed the firmware and put a 1tb hard drive in. I installed all of my favorite games to the hard drive and then put the defective drive back in. I now play all my games straight from the hard drive. The other Xbox I bought is my backup stock unit. Hopefully this answer helps anyone who has a similar problem.

Back