Playstation vs Nintendo: Which Series Of Consoles Has Been More Sucessful?

dannyboy

When comparing all of the Playstation and Nintendo consoles that have come out over the years, which series of consoles have had more mainstream success? Which series of consoles have left a more lasting impact?

Nintendo all around. I mean for starters they have a like 4 console advantage to sony (not including handhields.) Secondly Mario is one of, if not the most, recognized mascot in the world. As far as mainstream goes that depends on where you're talking about as although nintendo isn't doing that well in north american right now nintendo is almost a god in Japan. And as far as legacy goes...well it can be debated that things would be dracstically different if it wasn't for nintendo almost single handedly saving the north american video game industry with the nes.

Seriously? Nintendo all the way. Nintendo has more consoles for one, it also has more handhelds, it also holds several IPs, it also has licensing for Pokémon which means literally millions in terms of merchandise. But that's the company overall. In terms of just consoles Nintendo still wins because they have more consoles - NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU. NES and SNES were very successful, N64 was somewhat less successful, GC wasn't successful, Wii was a surprise hit and wildly successful, WiiU needs more time. In contrast the PSOne was okay, the PS2 was awesome in terms of success, and the PS3 was the least successful of last cycle's consoles. PS4 hasn't launched yet. So yeah... Nintendo.

Nintendo by a fairly wide margin, although the PS2 dominated the sixth gen. Nintendo has seen huge success with most of their consoles, and has been in the business for quite some time. They have established a gargantuan brand awareness, and their first party series are very well-known as well. Lasting impact directly correlates with mainstream success, so while Nintendo is once again on top, Sony does have quite a dedicated fanbase with their Playstation consoles, and they have always remained competent in the gaming world.

It's hard to say right now, but i guess that the winner would be Nintendo, seeing how their just a game company, while Sony is a all around electronics company. Also, Nintendo has a lot of games under their belt that sold so much that they broke records still untouched by today standards.

Nintendo! There have been so many games and consoles and handhelds over the years. They've stuck around when others died out.

There is no way that Nintendo has been more successful. Of course it is Sony by leaps and bounds. Nintendo has completely fizzled out. I'm shocked that Sony has beaten them down so much. Microsoft is also beating Nintendo down. Who would have thought that this would happen? Going back to the N64 days, Nintendo was on top of the world. Their SNES was wildly popular and the launch of the N64 was highly anticipated. I think their downfall really started when they only had 2 games available for the 64. Mario and Pilot Wings weren't enough.

There is no way that Nintendo has been more successful. Of course it is Sony by leaps and bounds. Nintendo has completely fizzled out. I'm shocked that Sony has beaten them down so much. Microsoft is also beating Nintendo down. Who would have thought that this would happen? Going back to the N64 days, Nintendo was on top of the world. Their SNES was wildly popular and the launch of the N64 was highly anticipated. I think their downfall really started when they only had 2 games available for the 64. Mario and Pilot Wings weren't enough.

I'm not sure where you're coming from. It can't be Sony by leaps and bounds because just last gen they lost the console battle deadlast. Nintendo won the last gen battle overwhelmingly even though they came out last and with the "weakest" console. Microsoft managed to beat Sony with a system that required people purchase multiples of it due to RROD last time. So yeah. On top of that the N64 had much, much more then 2 games available - did you just not play that system? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_64_games

Besides which the main question is lasting influence and all the current systems get a large part of their stroke from Nintendo. The control pad scheme, motion control gaming, bothering with handhelds, integrating tablets into gameplay, save the gaming industry, etc. What has Sony really done besides been the launch platform for a couple of games?

Interesting answers. I will say that i have enjoyed the Playstation consoles more but i agre with the majority that Nintendo has left a more lasting impact.

Nintendo has just too much history behind it for Sony to even touch it. The Playstations are good but Ninetendo goes all the way back to the SNES, N64, the Gameboys etc. Ever since PS2 came out, Sony has the lead (GameCube sucked, I think Wii is too much of a gimmick). Now Wii U is almost dead but if the complete histories are taken into account, Sony has no chance.

I would say Nintendo. That being said, since Nintendo is "all about the games" and has little care for hardware, I would like to see them turn into a game development studio/publisher as Sega did.

Woah, I came here expecting everyone to answer Playstation. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not judging by the number of consoles. For me, Playstation was more successful, or maybe just i my country because people around here don't even know what Nintendo consoles are called.

I would say Nintendo, but PlayStation is also a great one. I mean, Nintendo was the first company which introduced me to consoles. I didn't even knew what consoles were.
Although PlayStation have more fans now, but about success, Nintendo for sure.

Woah, I came here expecting everyone to answer Playstation. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not judging by the number of consoles. For me, Playstation was more successful, or maybe just i my country because people around here don't even know what Nintendo consoles are called.

...Where do you live? It can't be America... doubt it's Asia... Not the Pacific... Europe? Middle East? The Moon? I'm just saying - if you know who Mario is or what Pokemon are then you more than likely have some knowledge of Nintendo consoles. I mean really.

Nintendo has had a much stronger history of successes dating back to the NES. Now, PlayStations 2 and 3 are extremely impressive consoles that represent huge turning points in gaming history. But it's so hard for any amount of pedigree to top what Nintendo has done to the industry over the last 3 decades.

You are right in regards to the history of Nintendo.Nintendo paved the way for a lot of the systems we see today. There are just so many different consoles produced by Nintendo pasrt and present that it is not even close in terms of impact.

You have to pick Nintendo for this. Their impact has just been greater. They literally saved the video game industry in the 1980's with Donkey Kong. And if you look at memorable video game characters/franchises, about 90% of them are Nintendo games.

Nothing against Sony, they are a good company, but Nintendo is what I think most people think of when they think of video games.

Playstation is the obvious winner in this situation. I don't think there is another system other than Xbox that has actually competed with Sony's Playstation. Nintendo had a great run back when Gamecube first came out, but they have fallen off since then.

Back