PS4 Release Date - The Countdown Begins

adrean

While the PlayStation 3 is just now hitting its stride, and has its best days still ahead of it, Sony is not one to rest on its laurels, and with the intense competition in the video game world at present, plans for the PlayStation 4's future release are already being put into motion. In fact not only is the PlayStation 4 getting this treatment, but even the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 6 are in the early stages of planning and conceptualization at Sony's R&D labs.

I don't know about the part about it hitting its stride, but it is a great console. Not sure about the PlayStation 5 and 6 that you mentioned. Interesting though...

Why would people keep buying Playstations when they keep coming out with newer/better versions so quickly after? I don't think I would buy a PS3 right now - I'll wait until the PS4 comes out. Then again I might buy a PS3 once the PS4 comes out.

Working on a PlayStation 6 at this point really seems odd, it seems like that wouldn't be the best use of company resources. Then again, I don't design video game systems, so if it blows me away I guess I'll have to eat my words. :rolleyes:

LOL @ RonP44 - I know what you mean though. Seems way too early to be planning #5 and #6 when #4 hasn't even been released yet. Honestly, I feel like it's still too early to be releasing #4, because I don't even have #3 yet!!! However, the price of the PS3 will come down when they release the PS4, so maybe that will be my opportunity to join in with the rest of the gaming world and buy one, lol. (I still like the Xbox 360 better, though!)

All of the polls seem to be showing that Xbox 360 is a lot more popular than PS3. Maybe the development of PS4 is in response to that. It really doesn't surprise me that versions 5 and 6 are in the pipeline, too. If nothing else, it creates a lot of buzz with people anticipating what the features will be.

You're probably right, Zelda. For whatever reason(s), I don't think the PS3 has been nearly as popular as Playstation was hoping it would be. Instead, most people still preferred Xbox 360. I'm not sure if the graphics were significantly better, but if they weren't, then the only advantage PS3 has over Xbox 360 is the Blu-Ray player, which an Xbox 360 owner could go out and buy for way less than the cost of a PS3. PS3 really only has a few PS-only game titles - no where near enough to justify buying a PS3 for the PS3-only titles - and added to that is the fact that the PS3 isn't completely backwards compatible, so I think all these things have really played their part into PS3's lackluster reputation. Now, I think Playstation is really hoping for a comeback with the PS4, but I can't imagine what they would possibly equip it with to take the market back...

Well, I hope it has a better impact than the PS3 had. In my humble opinion the PS3 was the better console from the start and even the high price tag was justified by its Blu-ray player. Unfortunately, the casual gamer doesn't really have an objective opinion on this and tends to go with their heart or their pockets.

Back