Remember the Ouya?

Esperahol

You know- the future of game. Ran off an android's computing unit. Comes with a control and people were quick to hail it as the future of gaming. That was perhaps a bit premature. As a side-note did you know about the GameStick, GamePop, Project M.O.J.O., and Project Shield? Me neither. Anyway - Initial reports were not very promising. There were complaints about the controller and the interface. The response was that retail editions would be much more user-friendly. Those promised units are now available and already possesses a library 200 titles strong. Unfortunately the system isn't the coming of a new age. It does boast being easily "rootable", small, and easy to set up. It also has the option of allowing people to create games for the system. It also lacks original games, a truly functional controller, and the overall interface is a mess. That said I think this system should be applauded for presenting something new - and for trying to put out a console backed solely by the public versus some corporate giant like Microsoft or Sony. At least it's only 99 bucks to try.

I'd be interested in trying it out, but I'm not sure i want to buy it. I remember reading about it quite a long time ago in Game Informer. I like the concept, I'm just not sure I'd enjoy enough of the games for it to be worth it.

My buddy actualyl bought one at Best Buy...with an extra controller lol. I was like whaaaaaaaat!?!?! Cool little thing just for time wasting. I mean its fun to have emulators, but also, as he was showing me, ALL the problems that are with emulators come with it. Tried playing Mario Kart 64...yeah let me tell you lol

Thanks for sharing SiNAR, I don't know anyone that's bought one yet so it's cool hearing from those who've witnessed it.

As a matter of fact, i do, mostly because i just saw the damn ad for the thing:
OUYA Ad or: How to kill a game console in 30 seconds - YouTube

What. where. they. thinking? The console is already dead (if it was ever alive) this was the last nail on the coffin.

...Is it bad that I love this commercial? I mean... I enjoy Superjail and like Aqua Team Hunger Force and um... all that kind of stuff so that might be why. That said this is still a sucky system, but at least they tried and that might give others the confidence boost they need to make their own attempt.

It WAS a good try, maybe eventually they can make it better, or as you said someone else will come up with something better. I just can't see many people spending money on a console like this.

It WAS a good try, maybe eventually they can make it better, or as you said someone else will come up with something better. I just can't see many people spending money on a console like this.

Yeah, this console is fairly worthless - but what I like to focus on is that they did Kickstarter and they got the funds and they made the product and they got it in stores. It isn't a good console, but they did followed through on everything and I really am proud of them for working through it.

I do like the name. I don't even know if I'm pronouncing it right, but I like it. :cool:

Are you pronouncing it oo-ya or oo-uh-ya? I'm alternating between the two pronunciations to be honest. Of course, I could just watch the commercial again and see how it sounds. That said it is a cool name, but having been patented I guess I won't be using it for something else.

I thought it had promise when I heard about the emulation capabilities. Unfortunately, there's been tons of reports of the console being cheaply made and terrible performance issues. It's disappointing because I really felt it could possibly have a future. Hopefully, the rumored SteamBox won't be as disappointing.

I thought it had promise when I heard about the emulation capabilities. Unfortunately, there's been tons of reports of the console being cheaply made and terrible performance issues. It's disappointing because I really felt it could possibly have a future. Hopefully, the rumored SteamBox won't be as disappointing.

I think they will keep pushing these types of consoles out until they get it right. While I didnt find Ouya to be something I thought I wanted, I think there coukd be a market for that type of console if done right.

It does have emulation capabilities and many, many ports, but unfortunately the interface is screwed and definitely needs help. There is also a few glitches that really serve to kill interest. That said the cost is 99 dollars... and it's small... and it runs off an android. I really don't know what people were honestly expecting.

Back