Xbox One Resolution and Polygon Counts Make a Difference for Xbox One?

jstep

Former Moderator
From
The D
resolution-comparison-two.jpg

Being a member of the PC Master Race PC Gaming community myself i will be the first one to say when you are sitting inches away from the screen your resolution will matter, 1080p will look much better than upscaled 1080p any day. But thing is when using a console you are probably sitting meters away from the screen, in which case the difference between 1080p vs 900p becomes dimmed. In fact realistically speaking only via the Text and other minute details will you be able to tell if its native 1080p or not. In fact the above pictures as they are (minimized) are a good simulated example of how sitting some distance away from these screens should look like.

As you undoubtedly know Ryse got culled from a 150k Polygon Count per Character to 85k Polygon Count Per Character. Thing is however the law of diminishing returns applies, the developers basically cut down the resource cost by half without sacrificing too much detail. The fact XB One still can't do 1080p is alarming.

What are your thoughts on the big resolution debacle? I personally am not worried about this. The images are so close and as the author mentioned, as a console gamer, I'm not going to be super close to the tv/monitor anyways to really notice the minute difference that it will make to me. I mean, YES, it looks better, but I love the XBL service and games enough that I'm willing to let that go.

Source: WCCF Tech

I agree with you. But MS is ready for 4k gaming and the next gen TV's with the xb1 having room to grow. Sony can only do 4k playback and video.

Looking at the large-scale version of the photo, you can see that the image in the native 1080p is sharper and more defined. Upscaled 1080p looks duller. As mentioned by the article though, they do not look different from a distance. I've never been one to judge a game by graphics unless I am blown away by them, so I don't feel affected by the difference.

if you've seen the new story trailer for ryse you'd see there's nothing to be worried about. Saying X1 can't do 1080p is seriously rushing to mass false conclusions. There are already games literally right there at 1080p native, forza being one. These are launch games, therefor they are rushed games. Most developers don't even have the latest dev kits yet, and drivers aren't even finalized let alone going through upgrades. You'd be wise not to read into too much of this Tflop nonsense as the Xbox one is a beast of a machine. The architecture of the X1 was clearly built with dx11.2 and tiles resources in mind. This system will outperform the ps4 , heck, it already is as far as the games are showing. The ps4 is limited to it's raw power, X1 was built to last ten years. Also, it has a hana2 upscaler in it, far beyond the upscaling tech that existed 8 years ago. 85k Polygon count vs 150k, watch the new ryse trailer in a 1080p video and name a game with better looking character models in engine, realtime!

Back