RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

Gary Oldman

My condolences to the Yamauchi family.
This is the man who changed Nintendo from a playing card company to the gaming juggernaut it is today.
The Nintendo chairman and billionaire was the owner of the Seattle Mariners as well.
He passed away due to pneumonia. He was 85.

Ah, that's a shame. Thank you for posting this - it's important to know things like this. Condolences to the Yamauchi family, although I'm sure they are proud of the legacy he left behind as well as comforted by the memories of the time they had together.

Rest in peace, Mr. Yamauchi, you nor your legacy will ever be forgotten. Just think of the state video games would be in had he not come along; Nintendo's influence is simply undeniable, and men like Yamauchi were the innovators.

Rest in peace, Mr. Yamauchi, you nor your legacy will ever be forgotten. Just think of the state video games would be in had he not come along; Nintendo's influence is simply undeniable, and men like Yamauchi were the innovators.

Nicely put. Yamauchi was also the man that hired Shigeru Miyamoto. The brainchild behind the Mario, Donkey Kong and Zelda franchises just to name a few.

Would you imagine that without this man, gaming would probably would have died after the Atari accident with the ET game? Really a good thing such a man stepped in and saved the media!

Rest in peace friend. You were a great man who did a great many things and i hope you can finally rest..

A great man has been lost. His contributions to everything we've come to know about gaming cannot be understated.

Upon reading his article on Wikipedia, I was quite surprised to see that he refused his retirement pension (estimated to be worth at least 9 million) so that Nintendo could use it. Interesting stuff.

What happens to his shares in the company? Dispersed to family members or shareholders?

He had to of only owned the Mariners because of Ichiro. Regardless, everything good has to come to an end. So we send our best to them!

He had to of only owned the Mariners because of Ichiro. Regardless, everything good has to come to an end. So we send our best to them!

He was a huge factor in getting Irchiro. He was really good to the Seattle Community as well. Buying the Mariners alone cost 100 million.

Nicely put. Yamauchi was also the man that hired Shigeru Miyamoto. The brainchild behind the Mario, Donkey Kong and Zelda franchises just to name a few.
Oh yeah, Miyamoto is the man; Yamauchi knew how to choose them. Miyamoto is widely considered the man who either recreated or revived the gaming industry, and he's still doing great work at 60.

Rest in peace indeed. He has been a major impact on the gaming society. Bringing joy throughout gamers both young and old. He will be missed dearly.

Yamauchi is one of the most important figures in video game history. You can argue that he is just as important as Miyamoto.

It is rumored that Yamauchi never played a video game in his life. He just instinctively knew which games would work and which wouldn't. He will be sorely missed. RIP Yamauchi.

Back