Shoutbox?

From
Tempe
Maybe a chat box for the forum after people hit X amount of posts...or none at all.
Would slow down post count possibly but increase attention so a win in the long haul.

Input?

Problem that is the load on a server with lots of people. Its great for clan sites that don't get that big. But the resources are to high on a big site. Also like you mentioned, it severely detract people from using threads

Understandable, but if the numbers ever reach onthe option where it's a possibility. Even make it a third party so you can set up an Adsense to it or something even. But that is way long term, just thinking ahead.

No worries ,I def agree something to look into.

I do agree it takes away from the forums to an extent but also, it could have the opposite effect of keeping people on the site after theyve read the new/updated threads for that visit.

it would need a post count marker though, otherwise there would be a hell of a lot of people coming on and not posting at all. maybe even a 'you need x amount of post in a week to use the shoutbox' or whatever. encourages use of the threads

server resources would be a problem as well. I'll check out the options available.

I've found that chatboxes on vbulletin forums definitely take a lot out of your server and can slow it down a lot. While it does hinder your activity some, people talk about random stuff most of the time that probably wouldn't have been posted in a thread anyways. Just depends on the topic of the forum I guess.

i dont see a use for them. its usually cluttered with dumb convo... stuff that could be done via pm or txt... allot of it normal has nothing to do with gaming..
if anything id say make an non gaming/section.. most of the time it has little to no moderation and is open to most any topic and point of view.

another use of a shoutbox would be short term ones, to be used for set times for if / when community events are organised, then have the shoutbox only open to the people involved in said event. thats how a shoutbox was used on a FIFA clubs site i was a member of, seemed to work well

due to resources on the server the possibility of a shout box is wouldn't be feasible.

what about the new sub forum/topic area i presented in another thread????

Back