Smartphones will never match Xbox One

Starman

I read an article saying that the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy phones are being geared up for more gaming capabilities. But they will never be able to match up to the experience of gaming with the XBox One because they will always lack the feel of the controller and the screen size.

What you're saying is true, but you can't expect smartphones to catch up anyway - they're not dedicated gaming devices and they never will be, because they don't need or want to be.
Smartphones are for a variety of other purposes and a lot of those purposes take up space in what is already a tiny device. You can only pack so much power in a 5 inch rectangle. But I think the article you read is implying that smartphones are catching up to older consoles. I can play Grand Theft Auto San Andreas on my little iPhone 5S at a better framerate with improved graphics over what it was on the PS2, which was twice the size. That would be considered a joke and completely impossible seven years ago. Technology will always advance and eventually smartphone graphics will look like today's consoles, but the consoles then will be very different.

Smartphones cannot match the XBox One in many ways but they come in handy when you're travelling or commuting in a train or bus. It has portability on its side and XBox One can only be moved around the house.

Well, I don't think there's a real competition between a smartphone and a console. It's like drawing comparison between Tetris and PC games. However, smartphones got real great over the last 5 years.

Uh, idk. The idea that they will never have the processing power is questionable if you consider 3rd party controllers and projection technology. It's really more about what's going on in the hardware than anything else.

While mobile gaming is becoming more and more popular, when it comes to these devices replacing the consoles they'll always be struggling due to the screen size.

Over the years, various devices have come and gone that where supposed to replace it at least challenge the dominance of the consoles, but none gave been able to deliver,

Exactly, but on top of that, smart phone games are never that optimized. Original consoles had less processing power but more fun games, smartphones now are totally missing what makes games fun: theme, story, consistency and a fairness of price...no more of this lottery pay-to-enjoy crap. Just sell the game and stop ruining it.

I'm not sure if the games made for the smartphone are ever going to be more than what they are now, just games to pass the time with rather than games that people love.

I'm sure that the smartphone if not now, but in the future will have the necessary technology to showcase the latest games, I just dint think that the game developers are going to embrace that platform as a legitimate gaming device.

^ That's exactly right, the problem is that the technology is measurably better than it was on platforms that were making better games, lol. The p2w or p2havefun have ruined everything, paywalls instead of performance everywhere...

Aswell as all that's already been said about the technology and the gaming developers, there's also one massive reason why the console will always rule over mobile gaming, and that's screen size.

No matter how good a game might be, if it's straining your eyes after only half an hour if play, the novelty is quickly going to wear off and you'll just buy the console version instead, if there is one.

Yeah, that's solved by smaller projection technology though. If you just had a simple mini USB connected projector or even bluetooth, you could essentially never have to worry about screen size. Add a bluetooth controller to the picture and voila, who cares about the console? lol

There's always a way around everything I guess, haha. It just seems a lot of messing about to me and people are trying to get a console without having to pay the price of...Well, getting a console!

You could hook a tablet up to your PC, attatch a Bluetooth controller or keyboard, then cast your screen onto your TV or PC monitor...by the time you've bought everything you need you can just get an Xbox ONE instead, haha!

I think there's some argument for just getting the console still, yeah. I think though that if smartphones could match them in technology (which doesn't make sense, a console will always have more space because it's bigger?), or at least satisfactory enough, it'd be more convenient to just use your phone and the projector etc at your friends house instead of carrying a bunch of stuff.

It's the everything in one box that's given the consoles the advantage I think, and if you buy a Xbox ONE now or a PlayStation 4, your not just getting a console to play games on, your getting a full on media centre that you can watch TV, stream movies and play music on aswell and you don't have to worry about what's compatible with what.

Some people will always like the fact they can just plug in and go, and with other devices it's not that simple.

yeah, definitely. I think though that there's gotta be some way to get a USB addon for phones that can at least play some of the more advanced games, wouldn't even need to be that big I don't imagine. Maybe some kind of projector+Processor kit, but even then...maybe just get the console lol! But the projector saves a ton of space for the tv

Well you can buy a lead or cast your smartphone or tablet to certain TV's and monitors now so effectively you can play your mobile games on a larger display, I just don't think it's worth the trouble.

Most of the decent mobile games are remakes of titles already available on PC and console anyway so I'd just rather play those versions.

I meant like a smaller projector unit, I don't know if you've seen recent advancements in projection technology but some imply that we will have the ability to create full-scale hologram displays sooner than we might have expected.

While that does sound interesting, I'd like to know just what kind of price we're talking about when you mention that kind of technology. Technology advances all the time, but it only really takes off and becomes successful if people can see the benefits and they can actually afford to buy it in the first place.

Even when you factor in everything that goes into the decision, such as price and quality and convenience and all of that, from the start I just cannot play games on my phone so it is not even a choice for me. I just can't compare them because one if out of the question. I am not sure what it is, but it it is a pain and I can't get used to it no matter how hard I try.

Mobile or smartphone and tablet gaming is still regarded as more of a niche market and I think it will be for the foreseeable future as well. Personally while I have played a few mobile games, I can't build up that same level of fun with them as I can with a console or PC game and I think a lot of people are the same.

Mobile gaming is alright if you're out an about and bored, but for me at least it's not something I can get into like I have done with the more regular forms of gaming.

Back