Sony PS4 to release vitural reality headset - Project Morpheus

Yeah, I was reading about it on Tech Crunch.

With that said, they did share some of the specs found in their current prototype:
  • 1080p display
  • 1000Hz motion detection
  • Only one headset at a time is supported
  • Headset is currently connected to the PS4 by a 5-meter wire
  • Positional/rotational head tracking
  • Tracking is handled by the same camera that tracks PS4 Move controllers
  • It works for people with glasses
  • Content pushed to the Morpheus can be mirrored to a TV, but it sounds like it can handle asymmetric gameplay (different things on each screen) as well.
  • An “Open air” design prevents the lenses from fogging up. (It’ll be interesting to see how they prevent light leaking in)

I hate the Sony Move, but at the end of the day, Sony is a GREAT entertainment/tech company IMO, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Also, since the Oculus Rift has been slow to move forward, I wonder how that will affect things. Will they rush to get Oculus Rift completed or will Sony get the jump on them? Either way, it's going to be changing the was we game a lot sooner than later!

Sounds like a decent contender for Oculus Rift. Sony's VR might be producing a push already--Oculus now has a price tag of $300, but they're trying to work it down so it's free. I don't know how that would work unless it came in a bundle, and even then, it wouldn't exactly be free. As far as which one would be better...that depends entirely on a comparison of the two side by side. I've tried Oculus Rift, and one of the biggest problems I experienced was motion sickness. If Sony can resolve that, I think they've won this round.

Back