Xbox One Tim Schafer claims "Sony keen on indies, Microsoft focused elsewhere"

JasonPL

From
Australia
20130531_xbox_one.jpg

Despite Microsoft defending their standpoint for indie games Tim Schafer, CEO of Double Fine, is concerned that Microsoft may not be telling the full story.

“Sony has reached out to us and asked us our opinions about what we’d like to see with new platforms and they’ve been really good with indies – allowing them self-publish and entering into partnerships and stuff like that,” Schafer told Edge.

“Microsoft has been focused elsewhere up until now, I’ve kind of had my fingers crossed that hopefully they’ll change their minds about that because I think it’s really critical.”

This doesn't necessarily mean that Xbox will not suport indies, however it does seem a bit strange that Microsoft haven't even started reaching out to the smaller independent developers. It's actually kind of concerning.

via: vg247

Well, I would definitely take Schafer's word over it than Microsoft's PR department - that being said I don't think Schafer has too much insight into the inner workings of Microsoft.I think Microsoft did an alright job with Indie games for the 360 and XBLA played a pretty big role in Indie game's success these days so I'm not too sure. Honestly I think Indie games don't really have to worry too much, even if they have their focus elsewhere I'm sure they'll still provide adequate service for both gamers and game developers concerning indie games.

The first Doublefine game I played was Psychonauts for the original Xbox. It's not like the game is best on any one console (and the dynamics of other Doublefine games are somewhat similar), but Indie games vary so much that I could see one company preferring them more. I have both a PS3 and an Xbox 360, and I generally find that I'm more likely to buy and download arcade games on the PS3 than on the 360 (unless it's an exclusive).

This is absolutely true. Microsoft is only now saying they will support indies "like they always have"(a load of crap) because players are becoming increasingly aware of the necessity to support indie development, and are forming strong opinions in support of indie development. But the fact is Microsoft was the worst offender when it came to not supporting indies in this generation, they made it incredibly difficult to get on Xbox Live Arcade, and the indie category in xbox was very well hidden, with i think no titles getting any sort of acknowledgment and many people not even knowing it was there.

Im optimistic though, but wary. I really hope they will see eye to eye with the indie scene this time around.

Well, i really like his games and all, but lately he keeps asking for money after money for his games, and i am starting to get tired of it.
Anyway, better a word of the developer than Microsoft itself, at least for the Xbox One.

I don't think Mr. Schafer has much to worry about. I mean Castle Crasher's was originally launched on XBLA before it hit PS3, and we all know that game was a huge indie success. I think that right now Microsoft is more focused on E3 and trying to save face after what was collectively agreed on as a big time fail for their initial reveal. I happen to be in the minority, and thought it was a fine reveal, but for whatever reasons the masses wanted to slander it by calling it a cable box and a VCR.
The point being is Microsoft, like any corporation is a business for profit. Indie games are cheap to produce, and their profit margin can be substantial. Schafer and Co. should be double fine.

Indie developers have said in the past that it was a chore and a "nightmare" to develop for XBL, so I hope that Microsoft has learned a thing or two about that. Indie games are becoming a huge focus of gaming and it would be a shame to alienate that crowd. Sony did a good job giving developers plenty of freedom and even Nintendo is very indie friendly with the Wii U. Let's hope Microsoft learns a thing or two from them.

Microsoft IMO has had a better layout and structure set in stone for Indie developers already and will continue to do so. They have numerous divisions around the Xbox One and are bring more to the table than "just" gaming. Its still a game console and will always be one. If they take away gaming, they lose everyone who buys the product. They're not that dumb.

I don't think Microsoft's mind is elsewhere I just think that they understand that they did decent with XBLA and Sony had something similar but not as open as them. So they are probably looking at it as Sony is cheating off of their test paper during the exam and Microsoft's taken the class already so they know all the answers. Don't be surprised if Nintendo doesn't go to "summer school" for this topic though. :)

Indie developers have said in the past that it was a chore and a "nightmare" to develop for XBL, so I hope that Microsoft has learned a thing or two about that. Indie games are becoming a huge focus of gaming and it would be a shame to alienate that crowd. Sony did a good job giving developers plenty of freedom and even Nintendo is very indie friendly with the Wii U. Let's hope Microsoft learns a thing or two from them.

MS is just trying to protect there customers from bad Indie games, I think there doing a pretty good job.

I do find it troubling that Arcade and indie games from 360 won't transfer over to Xbox One. I feel like it's not all that important to Microsoft, yeah. I like Sony fine, but they've definitely gained some kudos in my book for wanting to strengthen their indie support. I'm sure that MS will jump in there at some point (perhaps at E3?) and announce some grand plans to embrace the indie market and its mighty following. They'd be utter fools not to.

Back