Xbox One Unbiased Xbox One vs PS4 discussion

Canadian Lover

Considering that this is an Xbox themed forum I know already that most people here will favor the Xbox One over the PS4. The fact of the matter is while Microsoft did reverse many of it's DRM policies, Sony never attempted to implement such technology. This shows that Microsoft only cares about money - not profit. Second, many of the most popular video games on the market for previous generations were either PlayStation exclusive or available for both the PS and the Xbox. There are not many good Xbox only games.

Oh and by the way, I left out Nintendo's console because come on, it's for kids.

I disagree with you here. I think Microsoft was trying to give the industry what it needs over what some people seem to want. I personally liked microsoft's new setup and thought it had a lot of things going for it. The fact that they changed their policy shows that they are willing to listen to consumers and to change their system based upon. I personally was a ps2 kid up until I played Halo and jumped the fence to the 360, and to be completely honest for the last generation there were very few games that I wanted for the ps3. The only reason I ended up buying one was for god of war 3 and uncharted, everything else I could get on the xbox. Although I do have to agree with you that Nintendo appeals to its own audience.

Bioshock 1, Mass Effect, LIMBO, Castle Crashers, Oblivion, and many others; what do these games have in common? Not permanent exclusives, no, but timed exclusives.

History is funny. This all seems relatively useless now that we're in 2013, and near the end of the console's life as the main, dominant platform, but those timed exclusives were all big deals at the time. Hell, the Mass Effect trailer alone is one of the few things that made me so interested in the 360. These games were all out first, and thus the people who had to have them likely bought the 360.

Then we have multiplatform games that just ran better on the 360 due to the PS3's exotic architecture for the time.

Now, to the exclusives. This is were I usually don't see eye to eye with a lot of others. Listen, I love my PS3 too, but after seeing how all of this has played out, I would still have gone with the 360 first and then the PS3 later on. Gears of War was something I'll never want to take back. That game alone justified the purchase of a machine+60$. It was the thing that solidified Xbox Live as something worth paying for. Then we have games like Halo 3 and 4 (I still play a lot of Halo 4; probably my most played game in the franchise), Fable II, Fable 3 (which I'm playing now; pretty fun), Alan Wake (awesome, underrated game), and Shadow Complex, which is the best Metroid game of this generation. Those are just an extremely small sample size of what the console has.

Then we have feature-set. There is no competition. I just trust Microsoft more on this front. Xbox Live rarely, if ever goes down. After Sony bungled the PSN thing (which was big to me in terms of trust), I never really felt the same way. I use my PS3 as a single player box mostly. A little multiplayer here or there for exclusives. Not to mention Sony just seems a little too inexperienced with online stuff (for now) for my taste; the recent PS3 firmware update that bricked consoles comes to mind. Then we have features that seem like common-sense now, but were pretty amazing back when (Party-Chat). I think we're going to see a lot of those on Xbox One.

The thing is, I like Sony for the most part. I don't dislike them, but I wouldn't trust them as my main platform since I play a lot of online games. At least not yet. This could all change in a second though. No question about that. The thing is though, I think I like where Microsoft is going with the online side of things.

People seem to misunderstand. Microsoft wasn't trying to push DRM for the sake of DRM. They wanted to set the standard. That may sound like someone defending the company, but give me a second to explain what I mean. When they know 99% of the users will be using Xbox Live, don't you think that allows developers (especially those developing exclusives) some unique opportunities? I mean especially so now with the Cloud stuff. I think we're going to see a lot more multiplayer only games, as we should. People take that as an insult.

When I'm eating dinner and desert, I like to do it separately. I'd rather have a good, filling dinner and then a good, nice desert. I don't want to mix the two. I'd rather have a game dedicated to single-player (ie Witcher 3) and a game dedicated to multiplayer (ie Titanfall) rather than they keep mixing the two, and tacking modes on. I don't want that. And I don't think a lot of developers want to do it either because it hurts their plans and the overall quality of the product.

I'm happy for Xbox fans that want to play offline most of the time, but besides them, I really didn't have a problem with that, for what we could have potentially got in return. Hopefully they'll bring those features back and we'll get the best of both worlds.

Now (damn what a long first post!), you want to know why I'm more excited for the Xbox One as of right now?

Xbox One:

-Sunset Overdrive
-Project Spark
-Ryse
-Killer Instinct
-Dead Rising 3
-Below
-D4
-Crimson Dragon
-Forza 5
-Titanfall

PS4:

-Infamous: Second Son
-Quantic Dream's next game (tech demo was awesome!)

Now, I know there's people with an opposite list! I'm cool with that. It's just that oddly enough Sony just had no interesting games to me besides Infamous: Second Son and the Quantic Dream tech demo, while Microsoft has a killer launch day and 2014 line-up. That paired with Xbox Live 3.0 and the feature-set (I love the idea of multi-tasking and the other stuff) has me very excited, and tempted to drop a pre-order already. That's why I'm leaning towards the Xbox One right now.

I feel that it's not so much a direct comparison of Xbox One as a gaming console versus Playstation 4 as a gaming console. I feel that the policies were developed in the first place as a conscious decision of Microsoft to move the Xbox One and its console market itself in a specific direction, which was a multimedia entertainment center with gaming capabilities. This was not necessarily a bad thing, and was actually a brilliant move considering the ad revenue they can generate if this was successful. However, the public backlash did prove to be really big, which may itself also indicate what gamers actually want from the Xbox One. Now it really just comes down to the exclusive titles, since its more about what the games can derive from the hardware than the raw capabilities of the hardware itself (in which PS4 wins out, by a little) and whether Microsoft can make the Kinect requirement pay off.

Well, this is an Xbox forum, but people have many different opinions. I didn't start off as a Microsoft fan, I supported Sony from the start. You make some good points like Sony not implementing the policies that Microsoft thought of. I think it was just a ruse to get people to switch their minds about Microsoft as a company, and shows that they care, but apparently not. I actually think that the Xbox One has better exclusives this time, which is why I'm still deciding whether I should buy it or not.

Sony never attempted to implement such technology. Sony was all set to implement them and decided not to go threw with them just before E3.This shows that Microsoft only cares about money - not profit. So you think a company should not care about profit, are you kidding! Second, many of the most popular video games on the market for previous generations were either PlayStation exclusive or available for both the PS and the Xbox. There are not many good Xbox only games. This comment is just plain ridicules. I am puchasing a X1 for the games.

Oh and by the way, I left out Nintendo's console because come on, it's for kids.
I also wish MS hadn't made any changes, but IMO it's still more next gen then PS4.

Bioshock 1, Mass Effect, LIMBO, Castle Crashers, Oblivion, and many others; what do these games have in common? Not permanent exclusives, no, but timed exclusives.

History is funny. This all seems relatively useless now that we're in 2013, and near the end of the console's life as the main, dominant platform, but those timed exclusives were all big deals at the time. Hell, the Mass Effect trailer alone is one of the few things that made me so interested in the 360. These games were all out first, and thus the people who had to have them likely bought the 360.

Then we have multiplatform games that just ran better on the 360 due to the PS3's exotic architecture for the time.

Now, to the exclusives. This is were I usually don't see eye to eye with a lot of others. Listen, I love my PS3 too, but after seeing how all of this has played out, I would still have gone with the 360 first and then the PS3 later on. Gears of War was something I'll never want to take back. That game alone justified the purchase of a machine+60$. It was the thing that solidified Xbox Live as something worth paying for. Then we have games like Halo 3 and 4 (I still play a lot of Halo 4; probably my most played game in the franchise), Fable II, Fable 3 (which I'm playing now; pretty fun), Alan Wake (awesome, underrated game), and Shadow Complex, which is the best Metroid game of this generation. Those are just an extremely small sample size of what the console has.

Then we have feature-set. There is no competition. I just trust Microsoft more on this front. Xbox Live rarely, if ever goes down. After Sony bungled the PSN thing (which was big to me in terms of trust), I never really felt the same way. I use my PS3 as a single player box mostly. A little multiplayer here or there for exclusives. Not to mention Sony just seems a little too inexperienced with online stuff (for now) for my taste; the recent PS3 firmware update that bricked consoles comes to mind. Then we have features that seem like common-sense now, but were pretty amazing back when (Party-Chat). I think we're going to see a lot of those on Xbox One.

The thing is, I like Sony for the most part. I don't dislike them, but I wouldn't trust them as my main platform since I play a lot of online games. At least not yet. This could all change in a second though. No question about that. The thing is though, I think I like where Microsoft is going with the online side of things.

People seem to misunderstand. Microsoft wasn't trying to push DRM for the sake of DRM. They wanted to set the standard. That may sound like someone defending the company, but give me a second to explain what I mean. When they know 99% of the users will be using Xbox Live, don't you think that allows developers (especially those developing exclusives) some unique opportunities? I mean especially so now with the Cloud stuff. I think we're going to see a lot more multiplayer only games, as we should. People take that as an insult.

When I'm eating dinner and desert, I like to do it separately. I'd rather have a good, filling dinner and then a good, nice desert. I don't want to mix the two. I'd rather have a game dedicated to single-player (ie Witcher 3) and a game dedicated to multiplayer (ie Titanfall) rather than they keep mixing the two, and tacking modes on. I don't want that. And I don't think a lot of developers want to do it either because it hurts their plans and the overall quality of the product.

I'm happy for Xbox fans that want to play offline most of the time, but besides them, I really didn't have a problem with that, for what we could have potentially got in return. Hopefully they'll bring those features back and we'll get the best of both worlds.

Now (damn what a long first post!), you want to know why I'm more excited for the Xbox One as of right now?

Xbox One:

-Sunset Overdrive
-Project Spark
-Ryse
-Killer Instinct
-Dead Rising 3
-Below
-D4
-Crimson Dragon
-Forza 5
-Titanfall

PS4:

-Infamous: Second Son
-Quantic Dream's next game (tech demo was awesome!)

Now, I know there's people with an opposite list! I'm cool with that. It's just that oddly enough Sony just had no interesting games to me besides Infamous: Second Son and the Quantic Dream tech demo, while Microsoft has a killer launch day and 2014 line-up. That paired with Xbox Live 3.0 and the feature-set (I love the idea of multi-tasking and the other stuff) has me very excited, and tempted to drop a pre-order already. That's why I'm leaning towards the Xbox One right now.

mostly this for me I have a ps3 and only put about 3 to 4 hours woth of gaming on the thing after I dumped a grand on it.

the story of the console wars at this point has more intrest for xb1... even at the big e3 showing xb1 was the buzz.. everyone said ohh xb1 better have a great showing of next gen games and deliver.... i think it did.. what you dont hear is how week ps4 was at e3... its biggest stir was sharing games... which in all honesty is the same way we have done it since day 1 of gaming.

even with cross platform games the developers hit on xb1 99% of the time.. battlefeild4,cod ghost, they all talked about xb1/cloud and intigration with ipad/iphone/android and smart glass.. the kenect capabilities and intigration in games.

xb1 took best game with titan fall. the demos were shown runing xb1 and talked about with smart glass the youtube reviews and general 3rd party interviews were all hitting on what xb1 is offering developers interviews were all onxb1 with new tec and what it opens up... the ai matching,cloud computing... now ps4 will take advantage of the same tec but u didn't hear a word about it..

Considering that this is an Xbox themed forum I know already that most people here will favor the Xbox One over the PS4. The fact of the matter is while Microsoft did reverse many of it's DRM policies, Sony never attempted to implement such technology. This shows that Microsoft only cares about money - not profit. Second, many of the most popular video games on the market for previous generations were either PlayStation exclusive or available for both the PS and the Xbox. There are not many good Xbox only games.

There are really only two series on Sony's consoles that are both high-quality and extremely popular. Uncharted and Gran Turismo. Outside of that...there's a lot of shovelware and then there's God of War, which hasn't been a great game since the ps2 era.

"There are not many good Xbox only games." I love how you say unbiased and then have a sentence like this. Gears of War, Halo, Lost Odyssey, Alan Wake, Viva Pinata, Forza, Project Gotham (RIP ;_;). There are plenty of series that are very good quality. That statement you made is subjective and inherently biased.

Also, DRM isn't inherently bad. Do you hate Steam? The notion that because Microsoft reversed its policies due to their fanbase's concerns implies that they are being insidious about their motives doesn't really stand up to logical reason. "...only cares about money - not profit." Those are the driving factor of a corporation in a capitalistic society. Sony only cares about money. Apple too. It's called creating a product that makes the consumer want to invest in your system, therefore generating revenue and profits.

If you want a corporation that doesn't care about money...I'd suggest you only invest your time with non-profits or maybe find a communist country where corporations aren't allowed to exist.

I think that the Xbox One, even though it did a complete backflip on what people didn't want, may still not be the best choice. I mean it is $100 more expensive than the PS4 and most games are going to be on both systems, save a few. I just think that the Xbox One is going to be great, but a lot of people aren't going to get it first, just like with the Xbox One and the Xbox 360, because everyone knows that Xbox drops the price rapidly after the initial release and you can see the proof of this with every system they have released. PS4 I would say is the trophy winner this year.

In response to some comments. I acknowledge that there are some Xbox only games that were timed exclusives, That's true, but it still became available a cople of months after. It does not matter what consolke the game is released unless you're a diehard fan of that game. If you are, that's fine, but for many of those titles I am not.

Second, yes in fact I do hate Steam. To be Frank every game I played available through Steam I downloaded a cracked no-steam copy of the game. Nethertheless, Steam has it's DRM problems and that annoy's me but that;s besides the point.

Third, Microsoft is making so much money from the Xbox series already that the fact that they want even more bugs me. Yes, every game company is trying to make money but the fact that Microsoft is GOING OUT OF THEIR WAY - to create new DREM technology and makes these stupid rules that drivre their profits up. Yes the purpose is to make money off the consumer.

As for the communist thing I have to say, well whatever . I do not have to do that since I can easily go with the PS4 (who is also making money and at least Sony's DRM never made it to the offical unveil at E3 but I give them credit for that).

If I knew everything I did now, I would still have likely bought a 360 to play Bioshock a year earlier, and Mass Effect (one of the best games of this generation) 5 years earlier. Hell, I'd buy it again just for Mass Effect.

In reality, it's wasn't a couple of months. It was a year most times. A year is a lot of time for a game that you really want to play. Hell, 5 years is practically a console lifecycle.

Also, Microsoft is going to do whatever they think will get them the most money. Like any business. The reason they had the DRM stuff was likely for a few reasons.

1.) It made it easier on developers who make disc-based games (no indie cared about that DRM stuff because it didn't affect them in almost any real way, as 99% of their stuff comes from digital); I'm curious how this would have all turned out if indie devs relied on revenue from discs too, but that's for another time

2.) It made it so that people had to have some sort of internet connection (this promoted the idea that 99% of the audience who bought the thing would be able to use stuff like the Cloud)

3.) The Family Feature stuff could have been another selling point

That's it.

In response to some comments. I acknowledge that there are some Xbox only games that were timed exclusives, That's true, but it still became available a cople of months after. It does not matter what consolke the game is released unless you're a diehard fan of that game. If you are, that's fine, but for many of those titles I am not.

Second, yes in fact I do hate Steam. To be Frank every game I played available through Steam I downloaded a cracked no-steam copy of the game. Nethertheless, Steam has it's DRM problems and that annoy's me but that;s besides the point.

Third, Microsoft is making so much money from the Xbox series already that the fact that they want even more bugs me. Yes, every game company is trying to make money but the fact that Microsoft is GOING OUT OF THEIR WAY - to create new DREM technology and makes these stupid rules that drivre their profits up. Yes the purpose is to make money off the consumer.

As for the communist thing I have to say, well whatever . I do not have to do that since I can easily go with the PS4 (who is also making money and at least Sony's DRM never made it to the offical unveil at E3 but I give them credit for that).

I applaud you, because at least you're consistent. Most people like to throw out that Steam and Microsoft are "apples and oranges" but the approach is roughly the same.

The issue though, is that this is labeled as an "unbiased debate" and in your OP you made a clearly biased case.

If you want me to be frank, Sony isn't actually making money. AFAIK they haven't turned a net profit in a very long time. I do hope you enjoy the PS4, as I'm sure it will provide for you what you want out of it. I'll probably be getting one later down the line, but I'm not making the mistake I did with the PS3. God that was a long wait for a meaningful first party title.

I look at it this way: I have no issue with DRM, as it can provide substantive benefits for me, the consumer. I understand that not everyone wants the same things as I do, but that's why there is choice in a marketplace. I enjoy a lot of the exclusive titles that the xbox division puts out and feel as though my purchase is validated by the value presented to me as a consumer.

I want the convenience of instant-switching between games and apps and tv on my console. I want to use kinect to control my tv/media. I want to play the games they showed. I want my close friends/family to have access to a shared library of my games (hopefully that will still happen). I want dedicated servers, AI enhancements, better environment rendering, etc. that cloud provides.

For me, this purchase is quite simple, since the 2 main points of contention aren't an issue for me. Subjectively I enjoy the games offered and I don't have an issue with DRM. I haven't bought a used game since I was 16.

I applaud you, because at least you're consistent. Most people like to throw out that Steam and Microsoft are "apples and oranges" but the approach is roughly the same.

The issue though, is that this is labeled as an "unbiased debate" and in your OP you made a clearly biased case.

If you want me to be frank, Sony isn't actually making money. AFAIK they haven't turned a net profit in a very long time. I do hope you enjoy the PS4, as I'm sure it will provide for you what you want out of it. I'll probably be getting one later down the line, but I'm not making the mistake I did with the PS3. God that was a long wait for a meaningful first party title.

I look at it this way: I have no issue with DRM, as it can provide substantive benefits for me, the consumer. I understand that not everyone wants the same things as I do, but that's why there is choice in a marketplace. I enjoy a lot of the exclusive titles that the xbox division puts out and feel as though my purchase is validated by the value presented to me as a consumer.

I want the convenience of instant-switching between games and apps and tv on my console. I want to use kinect to control my tv/media. I want to play the games they showed. I want my close friends/family to have access to a shared library of my games (hopefully that will still happen). I want dedicated servers, AI enhancements, better environment rendering, etc. that cloud provides.

For me, this purchase is quite simple, since the 2 main points of contention aren't an issue for me. Subjectively I enjoy the games offered and I don't have an issue with DRM. I haven't bought a used game since I was 16.

Same here man, you just get more out of the xbox.

I have no problem with that, if the Xbox suits you're needs that's fine. I will recognize that I had a biased, and I shouldn't have labeled this thread as "unbiased". If you want the games right away that's fine, and I'm sure the PS4 will have plwnty fo good games when it launches, like GTA 5.

Well, Sony's Playstation Plus has the whole Instant Game Collection thing going on, which makes me side with the PS4. It costs less than Xbox Live Gold and I find it to be a much better service because it provides "free" (or more accurate but not quite right, "rental") games for PS3, Vita and PS4. I'm paying for it just for my Vita and I don't plan to cancel my subscription anytime soon. This is one of the biggest reasons I side with the PS4 over the Xbox One, ignoring the DRM.

Also, Sony's consoles is more popular in Japan (the Xbox is basically dead in Japan) so it gets more games from companies like Atlus and Nippon Ichi. Even Arc System Works seem to be ditching support for the 360 with BlazBlue: Chronophantasma (and I'm really mad at them for this). So basically, it's also getting more exclusives that interest me, from companies that I like.

I'm really apprehensive about which Next-Gen console to get, or whether to get one at all. I only recently made the switch to Xbox from Playstation/PC. Now I'm committed to my Xbox, and I truly prefer it to Playstation, but all of my friends reacted very negatively to the original Xbox One reveal. Now everyone else is committed to making the switch to PS4, and I'd rather have the Xbox One. Normally it wouldn't matter, but one of the most important things to me in the Next Gen is the ability to play Elder Scrolls Online with my friends. I don't know what to do.

I've considered just switching to a gaming PC, if I can make it more cost-effective.

I've considered just switching to a gaming PC, if I can make it more cost-effective.

Well, keep in mind that PC games get a LOT of sales and price drops, so in the long run it might just be cheaper. Like, recently there was a bundle in which you bought Bioshock Infinite and you got Borderlands 2, XCOM and NBA 2K13 (not sure about this last one) for free with Infinite. Borderlands 2 + Season pass for less than $15 was another recent deal I saw. These kind of deals far surpass what consoles get and it gets even better if you like indie games.

Back