Upgrade to 2DS?

hatmasker

My son currently has the DSi, and he has been begging me for the 3DS. Now that the 2DS has come out, I wonder if that would be the better route to go. It's quite a bit cheaper but has the same functions (minus 3D). It looks like it will be sturdy since it won't have the hinges. And then he could play the 3DS games on it. His birthday is right after the release, so I wouldn't be able to try one out first. What do you think about it?

I think it would be a great idea. If you are unsure, maybe you should casually show it to him and see how he reacts. I think it is ugly, but then again, I am an adult. The target market is children and I think the 2DS is ideal for children. Like you mentioned, you can't beat the price and the thing isn't going to break on you easily.

I really endorse this idea - for one thing if you get it you're less likely to have to re-invest when the initial one breaks. I mean 3DS are just ridiculously fragile in nature and I've had to get several for my kid brother. Also why spend more if you don't have to - I mean pretty well no one uses the 3D function on the 3DS.

It's a good idea to get the cheaper version. Depending on his age he might be too young for 3D anyways. He'll get to play the same games anyways, so why not?

It's a good idea to get the cheaper version. Depending on his age he might be too young for 3D anyways. He'll get to play the same games anyways, so why not?

Yeah that is a good point too. I've read that the research on 3D damaging children's eyes isn't conclusive, so Nintendo just put the warning on the 3DS to save themselves a lawsuit if it did hurt kids.

The bigger issue for kids is actually the fact that their eyes may not be developed enough to see the 3D effect yet. Some adults can't even recognize the 3D effects. It is just a blurry mess if your eyes can't pick up the 3D.

Personally, I prefer the 3DS, but the 3D is not very important on 3DS games.
Nintendo 2Ds is good but I do not like the compact size. I do not feel that it goes unnoticed.

So if you like the design of the console, the 2DS is for you.

But there is a price difference so small between 2DS and 3DS that I wonder why one should buy the 3DS.

Whatever the choice, the 3DS games are really excellent.

I think that the 3DS would be a better choice because of the fact of the hinges. It really helps make the the thing more portable. Even the price are not that large so I don't see why you would't go with the 3DS.The 3D aspect really doesn't get used lots for me because it makes me dizzy. Even though you won't use the 3DS and on paper, the 2DS seems better the folding really is a deal beaker for me.

I would say just tell him to keep his DSi there are seldom any differences between the 2DS and the DSi , if he was asking for the 3DS, then sure, as it's a completely new concept. Well atleast in my opinion it is.

Back