Xbox 360 USB system drive over 32gb

Kingfish999

I have an old phat 360 and my 320gb HDD took a dump. tried to open it on PC but it is defiantly dead. so i bought a 256gb USB drive to use since i rarely play on 360 anymore, i just want it functional

the problem is that when i try to make the 256gb flash drive a system drive, its limited to 32gb. i keep hearing there was an update that increased that to 2tb. so i guess i need to get the update to get the full 256gb.

so i used an old 4gb flash drive to temporarily make the system drive and get an update that automatically pops up. BUT now i no longer have an ability to make the 256gb a system drive since the 4gb is.if i remove the 4gb it automatically restarts the xbox and i lose the update.

im not sure what i can do to get around this. im thinking i need to use my PC with a program to extend the partition after the update. or manually format and transfer the update. im not sure what my options are other than buying another HDD.

with only the 256gb drive before making system drive
1.jpg

gives ability to make system drive
2.jpg

but is limited to only 32gb
3.jpg

having 4gb and 256gb drive plugged in. 4gb as system drive with update.4.jpg

but the 256gb has no option to make system drive
5.jpg

been trying for days to try and make this work using a few different programs i found for 360 file recovery and such. simple fact seems to be that without the update, the xbox will not read the drive fully. trying to format the USB using a PC program and then coping the update over didnt seem to work. so i gave up

ended up buying a new 250gb 360 HDD. i know the USB is supposed to be limited in speed, but i think its still faster than the HDD. but now i can use both and choose either and have almost 500gb of storage

Back