Xbox One What do you think of Oculus VR?

elheat631

Oculus VR is starting to gain popularity now after the successful Kickstarter program. (in case you don't know what Oculus is here: http://www.gizmag.com/eyes-on-oculus-rift-virtual-reality-ces/26225/

It would be cool to have this kind of technology for the next-gen consoles. I would definitely consider getting one as long as I can afford it. It would be cool to play RPG games while wearing this!
So what are your thoughts on this one?

Thinking that we're going to see it produced commercially within the next year as it does offer a large upgrade in experiencing games. Just as the Ouya was highly successfull on Kickstarter, it still took quite a long time to come to fruition and that is only to a few developers that supported it. What we'll probably see at the start is a few games that have been created to take advantage of the tech and for the general population to actually embrace it. Things will begin to ramp up during the last half of 2014 when people will start to talk to their friends and plunk down the cash.

But I think the XBox Connect is where it’s at. A single Connect camera gives pretty good dimension. In a next generation gaming room, I would love to see multiple sensors for ultra precise recognition and placement. With Connect, you no longer need the accelerometer or gyroscope for input. The cameras would ‘see’ the prop that the gamer is using. Connect paired with Rift, the user could look down at the prop rifle they are holding and “see” a customized virtual version. The look would coincide with the shape….

Imagine this… You are holding a prop bat that you can see in your hands on the Rift display. The Connect camera can see your stance and how you are holding the bat. You are playing a baseball game in virtual reality. The pitcher pitches the ball. You can see in 3D that you have just been delivered a fast ball and it’s heading right down the pipe. This one is in your sweet spot! You are watching the ball get closer and begin to unwind the bat and send that ball out over left field. The connect camera sees your stance changing and the bat beginning to unwind and swing across the plate. It also sees that the bat is a bit high because the pitcher actually delivered a knuckle ball and it’s sinking fast. You watch the ball cross the plate as you swing and miss. It’s a strike. And it all happened virtually in perfect synch.

I'll be interested in how well it turns out.

I have a trackIR, and although it is rather limited in what it actually is supported by, is already a fantastic piece of kit.

I literally refuse to play dayz with out it. It really adds that extra missing immersion.

So if they can deliver more, without costing much more than a trackIR then that'll be sweet.

Back