Xbox One What type of TV is needed to optimize graphics

thornton105

If I have a 720p Panasonic plasma (50"), is it necessary to buy a 1080p to get the full impact of the Xbox One graphics? Or is the difference between the two negligible? It looks like many of the Xbox One games will not be at native 1080p, so my thinking is it isn't really necessary at this point to upgrade to a 1080p.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using my 720p for awhile now. I don't think the difference will be so extreme as to go and buy another expensive TV. My roommate has a smaller screen, but his is 1080p and honestly, I can see a difference but it's nothing so extraordinary I feel the need to upgrade.

It's like the difference between a Blu-Ray and a DVD playing in an "up converter" DVD player.

I can't say for certain, but I think the One will be that way also. As long as it's HD we should be good!

I think you are pretty much set for the whole thing if you already have such a big screen. I only have a 30 inches screen and i am still amazed by it, i can only imagine how great it would be to play in such a TV.

If I have a 720p Panasonic plasma (50"), is it necessary to buy a 1080p to get the full impact of the Xbox One graphics? Or is the difference between the two negligible? It looks like many of the Xbox One games will not be at native 1080p, so my thinking is it isn't really necessary at this point to upgrade to a 1080p.

You will see a noticeable difference by upgrading to 1080p both for games on the Xbox One and for all your HDTV content in general (HD cable, blu-ray, etc). Your plasma's resolution (720p) is too low for the size of the screen (50"). It is best to have a 1080p resolution on all HDTVs larger than 40" while 720p is fine and dandy for screens 32" and smaller.

You will see a noticeable difference by upgrading to 1080p both for games on the Xbox One and for all your HDTV content in general (HD cable, blu-ray, etc). Your plasma's resolution (720p) is too low for the size of the screen (50"). It is best to have a 1080p resolution on all HDTVs larger than 40" while 720p is fine and dandy for screens 32" and smaller.

I was gonna echo what this guy was saying. The size of your TV really begs for 1080p, not to mention you will DEFINITELY see noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p especially later on in the console's life. If you don't upgrade now, I'd recommend trying to next year at least.

I've been using my 720p for awhile now. I don't think the difference will be so extreme as to go and buy another expensive TV. My roommate has a smaller screen, but his is 1080p and honestly, I can see a difference but it's nothing so extraordinary I feel the need to upgrade.

It's like the difference between a Blu-Ray and a DVD playing in an "up converter" DVD player.

I can't say for certain, but I think the One will be that way also. As long as it's HD we should be good!

I completely disagree. As a former TV salesman I can honestly say that there is a significant noticeable difference. The reason you probably don't notice it on your friend's TV is because in order to enjoy such high resolution they minimum size recommended is 42" so that it's native format can be used. Also keep in mind most games released this gen were 720p native and just up-scaled 1080. That won't be the case in the new gen.

I completely disagree. As a former TV salesman I can honestly say that there is a significant noticeable difference. The reason you probably don't notice it on your friend's TV is because in order to enjoy such high resolution they minimum size recommended is 42" so that it's native format can be used. Also keep in mind most games released this gen were 720p native and just up-scaled 1080. That won't be the case in the new gen.

You may have a point. His TV is only 32 inches, mine is 42. But, as I said, mine is only 720p and his is 1080. I've never had a larger TV for comparison, but that size (32) is almost negligible. Now if the next gen is going to be 1080p from the start, that would absolutely make a difference. That was something I didn't know. See, you taught an old dog a new trick lol. :)

Back