Wii U's future doesn't look too good right now.

heavensdevil

With the recent announcement by Nintendo that they are cutting their estimated sales target I'm fearing that they might fall to the same hell like Sega. I grew up with the Nintendo brand even though I don't use their console anymore so I don't wish to see them go down.

Nintendo's too much of a staple to go down. Again the Wii U hasn't given us our full first party line up and sales WILL pick up in NA when they do. As for overseas it's doing ok...not amazing but not as horrible as people are making it out to be. Oh, then there's the 3ds...which...alone...ya...Nintendo's fine.

Source:http://www.vgchartz.com/

Nintendo's fine even with the Wii U not performing as well as it should. During the period when the N64 and GC didn't perform like they should've Nintendo always had the handheld to fall back on and their handhelds will always sell like hotcakes.

Nintendo is an elite top notch company. They will find a way to figure this out.

I've just got news that they are not abandoning the console market which is a good thing. I hate to see such an old brand go down. Plus, I don't want Microsoft and Sony to get too comfortable in the competition department or they'll slack off.

I doubt this will be the last Nintendo console. Yes, so far, the Wii U is a failure. Could it turn itself around? Sure, but I don't think it can catch up to the PS4 or Xbox 360. If the next console (assuming there is one) is also a failure, then yeah, maybe they will go the way of Sega.

During the period when the N64 and GC didn't perform like they should've Nintendo always had the handheld to fall back on and their handhelds will always sell like hotcakes.

Also during that period Nintendo always managed to make a profit. N64 had profit from games and game licenses which were much higher than Sony and Sega's and the GC was second to PS2 in making a profit on licenses, games, and selling the console low enough.

That's actually where Nintendo goofed this generation (in addition to poor advertising and catering to/trying lure third party the first year). It's not "not enough mature games" or "weak hardware", it's that they went the weak hardware route (compared to the competition) and priced their console high. Sony took two generations back to back with hardware that was weaker compared to the N64 and weaker compared to the Xbox and GC (some people say DC, but I don't know) based on pricing and a good library with third party support.

Sony got distracted by Microsoft, decided to go Nintendo's route of having powerful hardware and it became a battle for 2nd place whereas Nintendo took Sony's playbook, stuck to their pricing, put out a lot of first party, targeted the large casual market, and did gangbusters with Wii. They through that out the window with Wii U and 3DS' first year.

...the last time they pulled a Sega and released the N64 only six years after the SNES was out it didn't go well for them. They pulled in 2nd, but it was a weak 2nd given that Sega was always the bridesmaid in that particular duel (bar for Genesis).

I kept reading all of the reports and it just doesn't seem like the sales for the WII U will ever pick up. I still that the console is really fun though and that it has some really good games on it. I just don't see why the console could do a lot better I guess it was just the fault of Nintendo. I think that they were too much in a rush to release a console that they did not take the time to consider what they were doing. I think the same thing for Microsoft as well and that is why the PS4 is dominating the market right now.

With the recent announcement by Nintendo that they are cutting their estimated sales target I'm fearing that they might fall to the same hell like Sega. I grew up with the Nintendo brand even though I don't use their console anymore so I don't wish to see them go down.

What. Where does this come from? Do people think Nintendo is just hanging on by a thread? I mean they have Pokemon which is working out like gangbangers. They have the rights to Mario, Metroids, and a slew of other things. They are actually doing pretty good in Japan - and remember that not too long ago there was a massive tragedy involving a giant wave of water, massive earthquake, and nuclear problems... Really I don't see how they could have done much better all things considered. But anyway they survived the 80s and 90s - they'll be fine.

It won;t ever look good when all you are relying on is Mario Kart and Legend of Zelda. Seriously, they need to start making some good AAA quality mature games like the ones Microsoft and Sony makes.

Nintendo has been around for 160 years, and every time a new console comes out there's always naysayers saying that this will be the last, because of course it will be. Hell, I saw an article recently that showed a review from back when the SNES or NES came out that said Nintendo was going burst back then and was on the way out, it was a proven fact, because they'd decided to release a console during the great game industry failure brought on by E.T.

No it doesn't look good for the Wii and that is a shame. I really have enjoyed it and still do use it. I keep it in my office and play a sports game to get my juices flowing when I feel stagnant in my work.

To be honest, I'm starting to think the Wii U looks more fun than X1 or PS4... I guess it's because the latter are still on their "no games" periods while the U is finally getting some good exclusives...

nintendo would always be loved by kids because they make alot of child friendly games so i dont see them going out anytime soon. but its not easy for them to compete with older generations.

That's actually where Nintendo goofed this generation (in addition to poor advertising and catering to/trying lure third party the first year). It's not "not enough mature games" or "weak hardware", it's that they went the weak hardware route (compared to the competition) and priced their console high. Sony took two generations back to back with hardware that was weaker compared to the N64 and weaker compared to the Xbox and GC (some people say DC, but I don't know) based on pricing and a good library with third party support.

On what earth do you live that Nintendo 'goofed' when they made the biggest profit out of everyone?

I doubt it will be the last console. I do think that there needs to be some type of improvement though.

The truely amazing stuff hasn't come out yet. When stuff like smash is out, we'll see...

Back