Xbox One Windows 8 apps on the Xbox One..?

ozadin

This read was very interesting to be honest. Basically what happened was a guy with the alias of SuperDaE got a hold of the Xbox One dev kits. He leaked a bunch of information about the Xbox One and proceeded to sell it on eBay where a guy named Justin Angel got a hold of it. If you're interested in SuperDaE, you can read one of the in-depth articles about him here. Anyways, Justin searched for the file directory, and found a file that was named AppxManifest.xml which hints a Windows 8 WinRT app. There was also a program named DurangoLauncher.exe which most likely launches the Xbox One games. It is rumored to be a codename for the Xbox One.

It’s no secret that your Xbox One will be more than just a game console when it launches later this year. There’s of course the media aspects that are being expanded on from the Xbox 360, namely video and music capabilities. But it could be so much more than with rumors and hints of Windows 8 apps and games working on the machine. The latest fuel to the fire comes from Justin Angel who noticed something that’s been in front of all of us for a long time.

Via Wpcentral

It wouldn't surprise me if some win 8 apps/mini games made the jump to the One. I'm not sure what apps would transition well other than small "mobile" style games but I'm sure Microsoft will try to tie all of there product lines together.

I expected something like this the moment I found out XB1 would use Windows 8 for an OS. It was almost common sense. You can even see it in all their current products from PC, to tablet, to phones. They'll all run off a similar scheme that the XB1 will have. So it's only naturally XB1 should be able to use at least 80% of the apps any Win 8 computer can.

They really should focus on this kind of stuff with next gen, given the popularity of apps in general it could expand the functionality of your console greatly. I hope Sony does something similar as well, and the Wii U would benefit greatly from a proper implementation.

You know, it would be interesting to see the Xbox eventually double as a Windows PC with all of its apps. It is getting closer, what with the operating systems and computational power it possesses. I would definitely not be surprised if they have this in mind for the ninth generation. The only issue with that is, well, it will essentially be a "desktop" type computer with a fuller range of games that cannot run any exclusives from competitors. So would the effort be wasted, I wonder? One trend I have found amongst my group of friends is that we really only use the television a fraction of the time we used to when we were younger - and that statistic plummets by the year. Most of us watch our movies, shows, listen to music, etc. on our laptops. Microsoft could be realizing this, hence why they thought going into the whole "watch a movie while you play a game" thing was a good idea, but only time can tell how effective this approach will be.

Back