Xbox One Xbox 360 Games. Will it be compatible with Xbox 720?

danealegana

Since Xbox 720's announcement, the next gen of Xbox, I was curious about everyones thoughts on top of whether or not it will have the ability to play our 360 games and also dlc on the brand new console?
I think this is certainly a good selling point for existing Xbox Live customers and additionally would be very disappointed if it wasnt included.
So what do you think guys?

They could always implement backwards compatibility. They were able to do this with the first PlayStation 3's. But it would be up to Microsoft if they want to put this in the next console. But would they rule out this feature with newer updates to the console. But it would be nice for them to add this. I want to be able to play some of my 360 games on the next one. So, will they? Most likely, just so they don't destroy all the current games on the market.

You can play old xbox games on the Xbox 360, so I think Microsoft should allow the same backwards compatibility on their new system. Their new console would have very little support (or at least a lot less) if they did not add this feature to it. They definitely can, no question about that, but they would only succeed with the console if they do add backwards compatibility.

I do not see a reason why they would not implement backwards compatibility as honestly from what I see it'd only be a hinderance to their sales and market performance. I think backwards compatibility was only more of a major problem back in the older days due to the price of hardware and if they wanted to be selling consoles at a specific price, then they'd need to make cutbacks. With literately with the price that you can get things at now including disk reading components, manufacturing the right gear for a lower price is more than possible these days. I dont think there should be too much worry in this area.

I don't think they will actually.

Microsoft has always been kinda strung out for making its users pay more money. I could see them somehow getting people to pay more for backwards compatibility.

Microsoft know how to make money and they would find a way to make an even bigger profit by making people buy backward compatibility or maybe even worse, they wouldn't make them compatible so we would all have to buy our games over again.

Yeah, I doubt there will be backwards compatibility. They didn't really do it with the Xbox (it's not really good, it's pretty lacking and there's lots of issues). It requires money and time to do such a thing, so I bet they will not have it. It's actually the smarter thing.

Microsoft know how to make money and they would find a way to make an even bigger profit by making people buy backward compatibility or maybe even worse, they wouldn't make them compatible so we would all have to buy our games over again.

Agreed. They are slowly getting very greedy.
Backwards compatibility is a very important feature and for the xbox720 not having it, there will be less sales than if there were backwards compatibility.

I hope that they do include backwards compatibility. I have a pretty big backlog of 360 games to work through, and there's not enough room for two sets of consoles.

It's the biggest question we are all asking ourselves. Which companies are going to allow users to use older games on their new brand consoles. I really hope they do, but seeing that then they can't charge for a HD REMIX collection of "old games", i wouldn't count much on it.

I think it's unlikely that they'll make it backwards compatible in the sense of using you're old 360 disks, they didn't do a fully good job at making all of the old xbox games work on the 360 either.
I think the best we'll get is being able to buy it on the '720 Arcade' for a few dollars.

I dont really see the point, I mean one does get a new console to play new games, experience the new graphics if your just going to play your old games on a new system why not just play them on your old system?

I don't see how that is possible, or why that is necessary. 360's are cheap, and unless the graphics were somehow improved on the 720, why would anyone buy the new console? They can only make so many games at once.

Many consoles are putting in backwards compatibility, and I hope that Microsoft decide to do this with the Xbox 720. I will be really disappointed if they don't and it will probably impact whether I buy it or not. If I can't play all my old games on it, I'd probably wait for a while before purchasing one. I think it would be a big selling point for the machine and Microsoft would be a bit silly not to include this.

Many consoles are putting in backwards compatibility, and I hope that Microsoft decide to do this with the Xbox 720. I will be really disappointed if they don't and it will probably impact whether I buy it or not. If I can't play all my old games on it, I'd probably wait for a while before purchasing one. I think it would be a big selling point for the machine and Microsoft would be a bit silly not to include this.

I'm sorry but which consoles are that? Wii U supports Wii game discs (but not Gamecube like the Wii did) while the PS4 doesn't support any PS3 discs. (source: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013...hard_over_ps4s_lack_of_backward_compatibility) I think that the new Xbox won't support 360 games as like maurovis said, why buy a new console just to play old games? I'm not buying a Wii U until a game comes out that I would buy the system for, and when it comes to playing my wii games I'll prob still play them on my wii anyway cause quite frankly I'm lazy and don't wanna move my collection haha.

Many? PS4 won't have backwards compatibility. The 360 barely has it. PS3 kind of has it, but it's mostly from buying those re-releases from the PSN Store...

Only Nintendo cares about backwards compatibility now. They have included it in the DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U... but that's it. Sony only cares about it if they can get some extra money from it, I guess (like PS2 rereleases on the PSN Store, PS1 Classics, digital PSP games on Vita, etc) and I would guess that Microsoft cares even less about it than Sony, since they don't seem to be supporting Xbox Classics at all.

This is all just guessing at this point, however, all we can do is wait for a proper announcement.

Microsoft has demonstrated this capability in the past. Not only in relation to the XBox consoles but with others products like office.. All the latest version can actually handle file produced by the older versions. I think there will be be no xbox 360 games compatibility issues.

I dont really see the point, I mean one does get a new console to play new games, experience the new graphics if your just going to play your old games on a new system why not just play them on your old system?

I'd like the option to do both. If I want to play old and new games it would nice to be able to do it on one system instead of switching back and forth. I regularly play old games and newer ones so if they add this feature I'd really appreciate it.

Back