Xbox One Xbox 720 launching in November at $500 - Report

ZaneCloud

Former Moderator
From
South Africa
Website
titangaming.co.za
Windows blogger Paul Thurrott claims Microsoft's next-gen platform will launch during same window as PlayStation 4; subsidized model available for $300.

Noted Windows blogger Paul Thurrott has details on Microsoft's recently confirmed next-generation Xbox. In an update to his website today, Thurrott claimed the platform will launch in November at $500.

This release window would put the Xbox 720 up against the PlayStation 4, also believed to release during November.

A $300 Xbox 720 will also be available, Thurrott said, though this model will require consumers commit to two years of Xbox Live gold at an expected price of $10 month. If this pricing is accurate, gamers would end up spending $540 overall.

Thurrott said Microsoft's May 21 Xbox 720 reveal event will be the first of multiple announcements for the platform. A second event will follow ahead of the 2013 Electronic Entertainment Expo in June, where the platform's full launch lineup will be revealed, he said.

Crytek's Kinect game Ryse and a new Forza title, among others, are reportedly part of the Xbox 720's launch lineup.

A third, developer-centric event will take place during the Build conference in San Francisco in late June, Thurrott said.

Concerning the Xbox 720's architecture and specifications, Thurrott understands that the platform is based on the core version of Windows 8. "This suggests a common apps platform or at least one that is similar to that used by Windows 8," he said.

Thurrott also said the Xbox 720 will contain a Blu-ray optical drive and reiterated that the system will require an Internet connection to function. This feature "isn't as Draconian as many seem to believe," he said.

Lastly, the blogger again mentioned that Microsoft will release a third generation Xbox 360 console in 2013 that will be "significantly less expensive" than current models. This console is codenamed Stingray, he said.

Currently, the Xbox 360 starts at $200 for a 4GB unit and scales to $300 for a 250GB bundle.

Thurrott is a noted Microsoft insider and runs Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-720-launching-in-november-at-500-report-6407536

Is microsoft strung out for money or something?

I will do like I did last time and just wait a few months before buying. Usually then the price goes down and people start selling.

$500? Always online requirement confirmation? Well, all I can say is "NOPE!". Urgh. Still looking forward to see what's officially announced on May 21st, but damnit....

Is microsoft strung out for money or something?

I will do like I did last time and just wait a few months before buying. Usually then the price goes down and people start selling.

Maybe they though that because the PS3 had such an high price and then turned out to be such a good console, they could do the same. That or all the subscriptions of Xbox Live ain't good enough for them!

So it's $500 a pop and they're forcing Windows 8 on us? No thanks! I knew it was only a matter of time before Windows 8 got tied in to X-BOX since they're both from the same company. It's a good thing X-BOX 720 wasn't out when Windows Vista-saster first hit the market. Otherwise, it'd be chaos!

The console is going to cost a fortune when it's first out, but that was the same for the 360 and PS3 also. Of course it's a good idea to wait for the price to drop so that it's more reasonable. It would be a nice idea if the 720 could come with a few free games, not as a bundle, but just free games. Probably that's asking too much though!

But they're just tacking on an extra $200+ or so for the Windows 8 feature you know that. They're forcing people to buy Windows 8 through some sort of backdoor price gouging.

500$ is way too expensive. Too bad under-aged children will ask their parents to buy it for them.
I'll stick with my 360 until the price drops.

I am sticking with the 360 right now. There is no point in buying the 720 at that price but you know there will be some new Call of Duty game and people will jump the band wagon and get the 720. I am waiting for the price drop before I go and buy it.

Are you sure about the price, $ 500 you say! hmm, I don't think it's that bad but they shouldn't be selling stuff to us with a lot of restrictions of you have to have this and that.

500$ ? Highly doubt that! Microsoft, like any other company, may be greedy, but not stupid. Xbox already requires additional money from people just to enjoy what playstation users get for free, so I don't think Microsoft can ask for so much, unless they know the playstation will cost even more.

Yeah that's not the official price yet. I hope they would lower the price down, I mean don't they want to compete with Sony. If it's going to be $500 I would have to start saving from now because I have to get the new xbox by any means.

Back