Xbox One Xbox 720's Ban Used Gaming

danealegana

I don't know if Im late for this rumor but the rumor I have read is that Microsoft has stated the Xbox 720 will be featuring a tech that will ban used-gaming.
I think MS made a terrible mistake if these rumors are true. You can not swap games with friends to try them out and being able to trade in your old ones. You can not rent games.
Everything is total crap unless it will be reversed engineered.

So, what do you think about it?

I think this is a terrible idea. This just shows everyone how greedy Microsoft are (if these rumours are true) this will put the PS4 well ahead of the competition as far as I'm concerned (so long as they do not adopt the same thing) Let's hope these are false rumours!: eek:

WOW! That's not a slap in the face to gamers, that's a kick to the throat and then a brick to the face! I think this stems from what they try to do with Windows. Where every copy has an access key? And once it's attached to a computer, you can't use it on another computer? Thus killing the ability to use your Windows disc, and then sell it on e-bay or Amazon once you no longer have any use for it? Except this idea sounds much worse. They're forcing people to buy games! Most of the time, people buy a game only after they've rented it or borrowed it from a friend, and have test driven it. And like what they see. But if you kill that market, it might backfire. And make customers extremely unhappy!

Microsoft pulling a retarded move with this. I really hope they don't follow up with this to the end, or it's going to hurt them eventually, and then there is nothing you can do to revert it!

If they would ban the use of used games, it would very much hurt the gaming industry. Stores such as Gamestop rely on used games to make money. Also, what would I do with that game my 76 year old grandmother would get me as a gift, and I played it one time. And what if I needed to sell this thing on Ebay? It would definitely hurt the industry severely. But on the other side, how would you like it if you had spent 6 years developing a game, only for it to be on the top of the list of pirated games? You have to protect the developer right? To sum it up, major chunk of the industry gone, but maybe more money to the developers.

-Goo

I don't believe Microsoft would risk doing such a thing. But if it's true, Sony will be thanking Microsoft for the rest of their life. Playstation will get a lot more users if Microsoft start doing such stupid things, that's why I don't believe such a thing. It's hard to win fans, loosing them is easy.

That's really stupid. I don't see the point of this. People share copies? So what, you're getting paid because we're buying their consoles.
This is absurd.

If they would ban the use of used games, it would very much hurt the gaming industry. Stores such as Gamestop rely on used games to make money. Also, what would I do with that game my 76 year old grandmother would get me as a gift, and I played it one time. And what if I needed to sell this thing on Ebay? It would definitely hurt the industry severely. But on the other side, how would you like it if you had spent 6 years developing a game, only for it to be on the top of the list of pirated games? You have to protect the developer right? To sum it up, major chunk of the industry gone, but maybe more money to the developers.

-Goo

I think they have a way of telling used games as in borrowed or played previously, from pirated. AKA stolen, ripped off, or jacked games. They can't be dumb enough to not know the difference, and just lump them all into the same category. I remember when CD's were popular. Music CD's. You could tell a music CD bought from Tower Records, from a pirated one. The pirated one had badly printed cover art, and the CD sticker on the "this side up" portion of the CD was poorly printed as well. Not to mention, the CD cover was also missing a certain bar code.

DUDE! You freaked me out. I saw the titled and thought it was confirmation for the rumors, but I guess it ain't. There's already a topic for this, I believe... still, I prefer to ignore rumors. No official word on the matter = I don't care.

Not allowing gamers to play used games would be a very bad move. People wouldn't want to buy games, because once they beat the game, there is nothing else to do. No selling or giving away, the game disk becomes useless, and pretty much a waste when the game is over. It would also be not as easy to buy games, because some sellers would sneak in used games that nobody can, just to get an easy buck (or 60). Sticking with unmonitored disks is the best way to go. Only having to worry about scratches than a game that was played once, and blocked from being played anywhere else, is much easier for people.

I can imagine the shockwaves this will send through the gaming community if it's true though. They really are trying to give Sony and Playstation 4 an assist aren't they?

this idea would terrible. make me and many others reconsider buying the 720.

Ridiculous. However, people forget that PC gaming has been doing this for more than a decade now with serial keys. There's nothing stopping consoles from using the same technique. MS will probably go through with it, as more than likely they're getting paid off by the big wigs at companies such as EA. Sigh...

That is terrible! That will literally stop hundreds of people even thinking about getting the 720. Microsoft must know that it will practically kill their chances at having a successful console. I really do hope they don't go through with it, because that would be such a nuisance and would be the most inconvenient thing to ever happen to Xbox.

They'll try it jacob. But the revolt and revolution will be televised. Then they'll back off and change their minds. That's how it usually works in business.

Back