Xbox One Xbox One Apple TV Killer?

theytukrjobs

I noticed that the Xbox gaming controller lists WiFi direct in its specifications. This may just be for higher data transfer, such as what would be required for a stereo headset that plugs to the controller. But I have an idea of something else they could do with this.

The WiFi direct could be used, in theory, to stream the A/V output of the box to a tablet. This tablet could then be plugged into a TV in a different room. The controller, using WiFi direct, would have ample range to also communicate with your system in a different room. What if you could play a game on a separate TV by plugging in a tablet (or other Smartglass enabled device) into a TV? Or play right off of a tablet or PC, lag free, in a different room?

I think that would be awesome. Obviously it isn't announced and a feature that grand would probably already be announced if it existed. But I think all of the hardware and software that you would fundamentally need is there.

I am hoping that they do more with their Smartglass software. If you could watch content you buy off of Xbox Video, or use it as an Airplay like protocol that would appeal to me greatly. I would definitely use the Xbox One's media integration features and incorporating Smartglass into that seems like the next step. With Smartlgass they could compete with Apple TV and the Wii U's integrated tablet if they push it to its logical conclusion.

Yeah the hardware is basically there, they just need to utilize it. The controller doesn't need WiFi direct. The current form of Smartglass on Xbox 360 doesn't need or use WiFi direct. So the reason they included it must be that at a minimum they intend to do more with it than they currently do.

One other possibility is that the Kinect wil transfer data via WiFi and will have a USB powered option (many flat screen TV's have USB that you can power devices off of).

Well, it'll surely be way more expensive than the Apple TV, so it won't completely be a killer. Plenty of people who aren't into gaming would still rather pay less. You have some interesting ideas, I agree it'd be interesting to see them do some video-to-Smartglass technology.

I believe Apple licenses the AirPlay technology, in theory Microsoft could pay their licensing fee and have the ability to accept AirPlay streams. However, they might only license audio capabilities, I'm not sure if they keep video an exclusive Apple-product thing. This would be a very compelling feature for me though.

I wouldn't say a killer, but more like a competition, such like the old Sony and Microsoft wars to see which console had better games, but most of people just chose one and got on with that.

I wouldn't say a killer, but more like a competition, such like the old Sony and Microsoft wars to see which console had better games, but most of people just chose one and got on with that.

I agree with this. It won't be a replacement as much as it would be a competitor. Unless Microsoft focuses their marketing specifically on these types of components, the casual and non-gamer that hasn't hunted down information on the One might not even see it as a competitor for Apple TV as they won't know what it's capable of. At the same time, I don't know of a single person that uses Apple TV. It's extremely possible that people that might be interested in Apple TV (but don't know it due to poor Apple marketing) will purchase the One.

Realistically, it all comes down to the marketing. I can't wait to see how Microsoft markets the One through traditional advertising. If they really pursue the entertainment angle as they did in the reveal, Apple and other companies are about to have a serious competitor. If they stick with the gaming angle of old, it's doubtful that casual or non-gamers will see the One as anything but a gaming machine.

Personally I think with the introduction of the One the 360 will become the Apple TV "killer". There will be an inevitable price drop, and with all the content that is available to you on the 360 it could most certainly compete with the best of Apple. It might mean a revamped (read: smaller) model without a disc drive (you'll have to download any games you want to play). I definitely think this is where Microsoft is heading with the 360.

Is Apple TV even a true competitor these days? I had the original Apple TV, and it was a pain to use, especially when trying to stream content through Wi-Fi. I eventually sold it because it seemed like the only way to get it to do something other than rent movies was going to require some software hacking; not to mention it had a completely useless USB port. I currently use my Xbox as my main media box. I have Netflix, HBO Go, and stream Xbox music through it. I also have my home movie library shared on to.
For my kids I got them the Roku with Angry Birds, and that has been a nice addition. They have a gaming store and the remote even functions similar to the Wii remote. With all of those option, I just don't see how Apple TV could even hang in the set top box market.

From what I gather, these features will be awesome, however unless Microsoft passes us through the process you have described above, many may not even know that such possibilities exist with the Xbox!

Back