Xbox One Xbox One backward compatibility is not out of the question yet

wowtgp

All signs up until now implies that the backward compatibility is not even a thing, but a Microsoft rep has sated that it might still be possible.

“I know some parts of the E3 presentation got a lot of flak, but I don’t think everything’s set in stone. I’ve heard the backwards compatibility thing is still being ironed out and might happen. So don’t count on the answer being a firm ‘no’ just yet. They’ve really been listening to feedback, and that includes backwards compatibility for Xbox One.”

It would be amazing if they can allow us to play all our 360 games in the Xbox One console. I can't see why it would not be possible for them to do so. What do you think?

Via Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Still Possible, Says Rep - Daily Game

I think that's great news, but I highly doubt backwards compatibility will not be integrated. Now, I'm not the smartest when it comes to programming and what not, but doesn't the Xbox One need to be programmed in order for backwards compatibility to work, or does it have to be programmed in games? Anyways, if they don't integrate this, I really wouldn't mind since they're trying their hardest to gain their reputation back. Backwards compatibility is not that important when it comes to me, so I wouldn't mind them just ditching the project.

I think that's great news, but I highly doubt backwards compatibility will not be integrated. Now, I'm not the smartest when it comes to programming and what not, but doesn't the Xbox One need to be programmed in order for backwards compatibility to work, or does it have to be programmed in games? Anyways, if they don't integrate this, I really wouldn't mind since they're trying their hardest to gain their reputation back. Backwards compatibility is not that important when it comes to me, so I wouldn't mind them just ditching the project.

They could do it through emulation which is basically the way the 360 did it. That was the reason that only some games were BC and they patched updates for them to make them run better. Either way, this would be a HUGE game changer.

They could do it through emulation which is basically the way the 360 did it. That was the reason that only some games were BC and they patched updates for them to make them run better. Either way, this would be a HUGE game changer.

The way the 360 did it was very very bad. It didn't run everything and the ones that it did run had issues. Like 90% of them had issues, some where almost unplayable but others were just minor issues. Kinda sucks because Microsoft didn't continue updating it and improving it over time. With that track record, I don't trust them to have good BC on the X1.

Plus, what the hell? They still haven't set everything in stone by now? Isn't the system gonna release fairly soon? But OK then, good that they are keeping the possibility open.

As far as the backward compatibility is concerned, I think it's going to be related to console, not games. After all, why and how would the old 360 games be modified to work with Xbox One. It premise, it's the latter which is going to be programmed in such a way that it can play all the 360 games, if it at all will happen.

I am not all that much concerned about compatibility either, but it would be awesome if they can do it for us. It would be just a notch up ahead from PS4 then :)

Backwards compatibility would be a huge win in my book. I don't like the idea of having to buy my favorite games over again. They aren't cheap to begin with! But then I also heard they may not release 360 titles for Xbox One. That would be disappointing, too.

That would severely help me and i know a lot of people would want this too. But would i be able to just borrow the disk to other people like how the 360 used to work, or do i have to follow the rules like a normal Xbox One game?

The way the 360 did it was very very bad. It didn't run everything and the ones that it did run had issues. Like 90% of them had issues, some where almost unplayable but others were just minor issues. Kinda sucks because Microsoft didn't continue updating it and improving it over time. With that track record, I don't trust them to have good BC on the X1.

Plus, what the hell? They still haven't set everything in stone by now? Isn't the system gonna release fairly soon? But OK then, good that they are keeping the possibility open.

It was bad but it helped them at the time at the time when the PS3 was doing the same thing but with hardware. All they need is a simple emulator that works for some of the main titles to be able to advertise it. I actually wondered what they would do for Dance Central and Rock Band type games where a dlc code let you copy the songs from disc. There is a lot more to no BC then it may first seem.

I'm not going to get my hopes up because honestly, they've changed their mind so much I don't know what to expect.
Backwards compatibility would definitely be nice and would allow me to upgrade quicker... but I'm not holding my breath.

It was bad but it helped them at the time at the time when the PS3 was doing the same thing but with hardware. All they need is a simple emulator that works for some of the main titles to be able to advertise it. I actually wondered what they would do for Dance Central and Rock Band type games where a dlc code let you copy the songs from disc. There is a lot more to no BC then it may first seem.

There is a lot going on when it comes to BC now, defnitely. Specially when you consider the DLCs and online passes and what not. A simple emulator just wouldn't cut it now, in my opinion. Whatever they do, I just hope they support it properly unlike the 360's BC.

Good info, as I was sure that Microsoft had no plans at all for backwards compatibility but from this recent news, it seems like that will no longer be the case. One thing I'm really looking forward to on the PS4 are the possibilities of their new streaming service Gaikai. Hopfully, Microsoft will come up with their own way of intergrating backwards compatibility into the Xbox One. I guess we will find out what they have planned soon.

Backwards compatibility would be a huge win in my book. I don't like the idea of having to buy my favorite games over again. They aren't cheap to begin with! But then I also heard they may not release 360 titles for Xbox One. That would be disappointing, too.

I don't quite understand what you meant there. Add backward compatibility would mean that if you insert a 360 disk in Xbox One, it would play just like the 360. Isn't it supposed to work like this? Correct me if I am wrong here.

Even if they had BC for Xbox Live arcade it would be huge. All those digital arcade games started to become like a collection for me. I figured they would always be supported on newer platforms.

Even if they had BC for Xbox Live arcade it would be huge. All those digital arcade games started to become like a collection for me. I figured they would always be supported on newer platforms.

That would be amazing of them to do. Truly, BC for XBLA games would be a huge deal for them to have. I guess that's why they're being open-minded about future plans for BC; they must know its huge but they may not know if they can actually pull it off nicely.

This could be a nice advantage that the Xbox One has over the PS4. Sell your Xbox 360 and all of its merchandise and cheapen the entry cost for the Xbox One. Although I feel this is unlikely, it think it could be a wise decision.

With the utility of a robust library on the cloud, especially since apparently we can download and install games from there, it makes you wonder if there is no backwards compatibility per se, but the option to stream games in your library from the cloud. I'm not sure how they would implement it, but it seems a cleaner option to have a digital library of your old games.

Also, if they did manage to work it so they had a model that was able to play the old discs, and the new Blu-Ray, I would totally take that SKU option over the Kinect bundle and pay the extra money.

A very interesting move, providing that they can actually deliver on this. With no backwards compatibility for the PS4, I think that this could persuade quite a lot of people into buying the Xbox One. But still, at the moment it's only discussion and plans and with the console rather close to launch, I can't help but be a little skeptical. If they can pull it off then it's definitely a bonus for them, but if not then they aren't missing out on much because their competition isn't offering it either.

A very interesting move, providing that they can actually deliver on this. With no backwards compatibility for the PS4, I think that this could persuade quite a lot of people into buying the Xbox One. But still, at the moment it's only discussion and plans and with the console rather close to launch, I can't help but be a little skeptical. If they can pull it off then it's definitely a bonus for them, but if not then they aren't missing out on much because their competition isn't offering it either.

Exactly. I am not holding my breath for backwards compatibility either. And honestly speaking, I couldn't care less about it. But there is no denying that it would make a lot of people happy.

I wouldn't be surprised if they reverse another one of their policies in the grand scheme of things.

Back