Xbox One Xbox One: Dedicated Servers and Why You Should Care

FordGTGuy

From
Portsmouth, VA
A dedicated server is when a multiplayer game is run on a actual server(or a dedicated server) in this case in a Microsoft data center. Microsoft has data centers on every continent and can offer dedicated servers for every region. Every player in a game connects directly to the server and you only communicate directly with the server.

What are the benefits to this system?

* They are dynamic, in other words you will never see a Xbox One game lose server support as servers are dedicated on the fly and are dynamic to consumers requests on Xbox Live. In other words a server might be running Titanfall one day and the next day Forza Motorsport 5.

* It's Free!, not to us consumers of course but it's free to all first and third party developers as we are paying for it. This is fantastic for developers like Respawn who would otherwise not have done dedicated servers in every region due to cost.

* No host advantage (Normal servers where everyone connects to the host player gives the host a latency advantage.)

* No NAT issues, you will no longer have open your NAT or worry about having problems connecting to other players.

* No lag effects, usually when someone lags in a racing game like Forza there car will start to spaz out and start hitting other people or flying. With dedicated servers you will no longer experience this effect and it will not affect the players in a game.

* Higher ping toleration, people with higher pings will have a lot less of a problem playing with others.

* Bigger multiplayer games, as the server is handling everything in the muiltplayer game it can allow for even larger and more epic multiplayer experiences without negative effects.

In other words this is the most superior way to run a multiplayer game and Xbox Live on Xbox One will have it for every game in every region, Sony cannot and will not match this.

[video=youtube;L1QsjRI4XNY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1QsjRI4XNY[/video]

Good post man great info, I always thought it was just the host advantage I never knew all of the other benefits.I just never payed attention I guess.

Also will be dead in a few years and you won't be able to play on them. Maybe i am really lacking the living in the moment thing, but am i the only one who worries about the future and wants to play the games i bought from years back? I ain't much fan of buying the same game over and over in different systems, so when i want to play old games, i play them on my old consoles, and those never stopped me from playing because they couldn't connect to some server that is long dead.

Also will be dead in a few years and you won't be able to play on them. Maybe i am really lacking the living in the moment thing, but am i the only one who worries about the future and wants to play the games i bought from years back? I ain't much fan of buying the same game over and over in different systems, so when i want to play old games, i play them on my old consoles, and those never stopped me from playing because they couldn't connect to some server that is long dead.

Would people stop with this ****?

Let me be clear for the 100th time, MICROSOFT'S SERVERS ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE.

Microsoft datacenters and servers have only been growing and have never shrunk in size and these servers are not going anywhere. The dynamic nature of these servers mean they will keep working for as long as Microsoft allows them to spin up for old games and this could be a very long time(multiple generations.).

Would people stop with this ****?

Let me be clear for the 100th time, MICROSOFT'S SERVERS ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE.

Microsoft datacenters and servers have only been growing and have never shrunk in size and these servers are not going anywhere. The dynamic nature of these servers mean they will keep working for as long as Microsoft allows them to spin up for old games and this could be a very long time(multiple generations.).
plus they changed the drm and you still can play offline. so I'm confident that you are going to beable to play the games well into the future like when your in your eighties and you can get your robot to get the consle out and clean off the dust. lol

I have been extremely excited for this feature. I always thought it was a little outrageous that they charged for Live without doing this, they just connected Xboxes together in the past, and didn't host anything! Xbox Live servers lacking this has been the biggest problem with Halo games for me, there would always someone with a shotgun or hammer running around with just a little less lag than you and owning everyone since they had "host". It would look like you got the shot off first, then you'd die. Go play any Halo game online, it's a huge issue, "having host" was a very common saying on there, and you could often notice the guy who had it, he'd be the one with 45 kills while everyone else had like 10. It was really ridiculous and unfair and really hurt the experience for me. If they brought back Halo 2 with a dedicated server online multiplayer, I'd go buy an Xbox One at launch.

I have been extremely excited for this feature. I always thought it was a little outrageous that they charged for Live without doing this, they just connected Xboxes together in the past, and didn't host anything! Xbox Live servers lacking this has been the biggest problem with Halo games for me, there would always someone with a shotgun or hammer running around with just a little less lag than you and owning everyone since they had "host". It would look like you got the shot off first, then you'd die. Go play any Halo game online, it's a huge issue, "having host" was a very common saying on there, and you could often notice the guy who had it, he'd be the one with 45 kills while everyone else had like 10. It was really ridiculous and unfair and really hurt the experience for me. If they brought back Halo 2 with a dedicated server online multiplayer, I'd go buy an Xbox One at launch.

This feature is going to be great and it's great for any genre even racing.

the dedicated servers is a pretty cool thing along with cloud... ideally it will help with lag/latency what i feer is the instable dsl/home connection their is nothing microsoft can do about this.. which is more a worry..

i like the idea that a microsoft server will/does have more computing power than a xbox unit itself but powering say 200,000 people trying to play on a server or multiplayer i wonder how the computing power will be able to handle it all.. maybe not on day one launch but with time i think it could become a problem. their is a general estimate of 230 million people that play cod... the ammount of dedicated servers would be a good bit. who is going to pay for this over time??? no the publishers but the consumer..... game prices will raise to support the gaming servers..

the dedicated servers is a pretty cool thing along with cloud... ideally it will help with lag/latency what i feer is the instable dsl/home connection their is nothing microsoft can do about this.. which is more a worry..

i like the idea that a microsoft server will/does have more computing power than a xbox unit itself but powering say 200,000 people trying to play on a server or multiplayer i wonder how the computing power will be able to handle it all.. maybe not on day one launch but with time i think it could become a problem. their is a general estimate of 230 million people that play cod... the ammount of dedicated servers would be a good bit. who is going to pay for this over time??? no the publishers but the consumer..... game prices will raise to support the gaming servers..

No they won't, Microsoft is offering all of this for free to developers and they even made Gold a system-level feature so every account on a console will have Gold features if a active Gold account is on that console.

Back