Xbox One Xbox One designed to be always on for 10 years

ozadin

I have no idea why anyone would want to leave their Xbox One on 24/7 for TEN years. They'll be seeing a very high increase on the electricity bill each year as well as wearing down the hardware. But if they confirmed that it can run for 10 years, who knows how long the actual console will last for if someone didn't have their Xbox One on 24/7? It has been announced that the console is very silent, and you can barely hear it. Very impressive specs.

Our information suggests the Xbox One design is based on an ambitious brief, essentially impossible to test in anything resembling real-life conditions, and so the company played it safe, putting unit reliability first. A highly placed source says that the console has been designed with a ten-year lifecycle in mind and that it is designed to be switched on for that entire period.

Via Eurogamer

Now that would be sweet. I wonder how it would handle heat, say in a entertainment center? My original 360 had the RRoD in there, but when I bought my slim, I added the nyko cooler on top that blows the air out into the room.
Hope it's good in there....or nyko makes another after market 'blower' lol.

As I recall, this was part of the reason for the mandatory Kinect. Essentially the Kinect will always be on, ready and waiting for your command, but the console itself will sleep but can accept commands from the Kinect to power up.

They have not been very clear in terms of what low power state the system will be in. As you should know, every time you turn off a lamp, take your phone out of a charger, etc., as long as it is plugged in there is still power running through it that allows the device to react to your commands when you switch it on and off. It is likely that they have invented a way to tap into this phenomenon and wire a fraction of the electricity to the parts of the system (meaning Kinect and the console itself) to keep it "on" but not "working" except under certain conditions such as a module responding only to your voice, which I think is what they mean. What is the result? You will not be seeing a substantially increased electricity bill. Plus, electricity pricing doesn't work like that with one device unless you have a very bad plan. I keep my laptop on in a low power state longer than any other device, and my electricity bill is still under the average for my area.

i cant see it puling that much power that you notice it. it will pull the same power as a phone charger or a laptop always pluged in charging. your microwave is always on drawing power. stove is as well. if you look at a new washer/dryer it shows the consumption per year.. its roughly 28-48 dollars a year. a deep frezer/chest freazer is like 58-60 a year to power.

for general referance a 131watt chest frezer
Cost per Minute: 3 hundredths of one cent (0.03¢)
Cost per Hour: 1.6¢
per Day (8 hrs): 13¢
per Month (5hrs/day): $2.39

I'vve known for a while that anything still plugged into an outlet will still recieve power even if it's not "on" which is why I usually unplug my equipment after using them. While it sounds like it would be useful for some people to have Kinect always readily available I can't see myself actually needing that ability personally.

Although it says "switched on" it doesn't really go further to define it. It could mean "switched on at a low power state", but, if it does last for 10 years and is silent -- color me impressed. The last thing we all want is another RROD disaster during the first years of it's lifecycle. -.-

It needs to have a specific part of the console "On" to function with the voice commands. However, the entire console will not always be on and if you leave it on, I wouldn't be surprised if it has overheating problems just like any other console being left on for a long time. I'm sure people will test it out and see how long it can stay on though. Will be interesting to see for myself if one can actually stay "On" entirely for 10 years. I guess we'll see in 10 years! xD

I didn't read anywhere that it is mandatory to keep it switched on but one thing I'm sure about. Xbox did really bad in the press conference and explained all their policies in the wrong manner. I think they were trying to bring something like Steam to consoles which is an innovative move but it reached the gamer community in the wrong perspective. Kinect will always be on because it will take in our commands and respond immediately while console will be in sleep mode. This isn't much of my concern because I keep my HDTV in sleep mode and have hardly turned the switch off in the past 2 years or so. Power consumption and other worries are simply nothing because most of our gadgets are working 24/7 these days. I never switched off my cell phone in the past 3 years and it works! So, the Xbox One should work as well.

The only time my machines go down are when I turn them off, need to reboot or a storm comes out of no where. Right now we do turn the Xbox off when it is not in use (I hate that hum sound when I am not gaming), but to use for Kinect if the hum is gone, would be amazing. I have a ton of family and friends that I never get to see. Our plans don't match up or someone is always lost in the reunion, this might make it easier.

Now that definitely sounds impressive but I'm not convinced that it's the truth. 10 years is an awfully long time and it might run for 10 years but only in very idealistic conditions such as a well ventilated room which is never fully achievable. But , nonetheless I think that it's a bold statement, but I want to see it put to a test of some sort, I guess that we will find out in 10 years.

Man, this sounds like a ridiculous bluff. Do they expect people to believe them on this after the 360's RRoD issues? Whatever, I hope it's true that the system is so... resilient. Noone wants a repeat of the RRoD issue.

I don't believe their lies. They said that the 360 is very well designed.. Haha, sure fooled me! My first 360 literally burned after 3 months from 1-2 hours of gaming for 3-5 days in a week..

Microsoft didn't change ****, only the specs. :/

Well, that is a good thing i guess, but it's not always certain. I just wish consoles would had the resistance like the old ones, but too bad they can't because of how many different components they have, so there is always margin for something bad to happen.

AM I the only one who is really confused? What do they mean by always-online for 10 years? Why do they fukin' love shoving that online thing on our face?

Can someone help me out with this?

I don't believe their lies. They said that the 360 is very well designed.. Haha, sure fooled me! My first 360 literally burned after 3 months from 1-2 hours of gaming for 3-5 days in a week..

Microsoft didn't change ****, only the specs. :/

Microsoft fixed the problems that the 360 has had.

And if you had looked at any of the pictures that are available of the XB1 internals, you would notice a big ass fan in it.

the newer 360's dont have issues ive had mine and have left it on for 2 weeks straight while i was on vacation had no issues. i dont have booster fan or chiller..
i dont have my 360 sitting touching tho.. i propped my console up an inch so it has ventelation on all sides. i think allot of people ran into issues with poor ventilation or air movment sticking it in a cabnet that was 98% inclosed.

i recently left my 360 on for a week with fable3 so i could stack up money in game.

Like others have already stated here, that is definitely something impressive and it’s great that Microsoft are doing their absolute best to make sure the Xbox One turns out to be a great console. I was little turned off by the design but now after hearing Microsoft’s explanation for why the system is so big, I no longer have a problem with it and commend them for designing the system in way that’s built to list for a decade.

Back