Xbox One Xbox One DRM Removed: Family Share Dead

oh some games will be directly aimed at multiplayer and require connection i agree... im saying the games that have a solo/multiplayer aspect.. it will dumb down some of the stuff just to get the physical data on a disk..

I think people forget that most singleplayer games are now played online because people are online anyway. It's not as if people go offline to play a singleplayer game and it's the worse argument against cloud I've seen. Sure some people will never connect to the internet but this is a very small percentage and others will have a unreliable connection and this is also a small percentage.

You can be sure that companies have done research and know the exact amount of copies sold that are played online and even for strictly single player games this number should be high enough to justify cloud computing.

ohh i agree with you that they know whats going on in the big picture with some 320+million players and how connected they are.. and i agree that no one is disconnected from xbl while playing single player/solo gaming.

I get the feeling that the people who were so overly excited about the family sharing plan seemingly had false notions in regards to it.

I will try my best to clear up what I think were the biggest misconceptions were.

Two people cannot play the same game at the same time, unless of course they're playing splitscreen on the same console at once (This was confirmed by Larry Hyrb) So yeah, Person 1 can play Game 1, Person 2 cannot play Game 1, but can play Game 2. There was no "2 people can play one copy of the game at the same time" not multiplayer modes, not single player modes, not anything.

Only two people could use the shared library at once. So even if ten people are on the plan, the other eight can not access the games when 2 people are. So If person one and two are playing from the library, and there are games three through ten in the library as well, persons 3-10 cannot play any of those games while persons one and two are playing.

The sole real advantage to this system was that digital games could be accessed from any place (however they would need to be downloaded entirely, not as great and magical as Microsoft made it sound that it's all up in the cloud where it could be accessed instantly). So let's say if you had a family member on the other side of the country or maybe even on the other side of the world, and you purchased Halo. He could download and play it too (when you weren't playing it) at no extra cost.

It was Microsoft's attempt at trying to crush the physical disc restrictions but it wasn't good enough as with physical games you can lend your games off to as many people as you so choose, you're only limited by how many games you have to give out.

In addition, Microsoft actually never stated that you would be able to sell your digital titles. The retailer trade-in was simply in regards to physical game based purchases only.

It feels like Microsoft just went on a tantrum after having to revoke their DRM plans for the Xbox One. As if because they had to scrap it, they have to look strong and remove this for whatever reason. Though I guess the family share might be somehow connected to the DRM, I doubt it. Anything can be worked around, and Microsoft post E3 has already proven that.

After E3 and after seeing the response of the community, they just imagined all the money going to Sony instead of their pockets, so they were forced to take action. They can still invent some crazy policies with the game developers and lock the games in a way, but they won't do that too soon because it would be way too risky and might lose money. This is just a decision making things normal again, lets see how long they will keep it that way. I'm giving it a year, at most!

Back