Xbox One “System processing” takes up 10 percent of Xbox One GPU time

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
Some surprising or maybe even alarming news (for some) about the inner workings of the XBOX ONE were posted earlier today.

The Xbox One's ability to run up to four apps in the background (or on the side via Snap mode) during gameplay and to switch from a game to those apps almost instantaneously obviously comes at some cost to the system's maximum theoretical gaming performance. Now, thanks to an interview with Xbox technical fellow Andrew Goossen over at Digital Foundry we have some idea of the scale of that performance cost.

"Xbox One has a conservative 10 percent time-sliced reservation on the GPU for system processing," Goossen told the site. "This is used both for the GPGPU processing for Kinect and for the rendering of concurrent system content such as snap mode."

It's important to note that additional processing time for the next-generation Kinect sensor is included in that 10 percent number. Still, setting aside nearly a tenth of the GPU's processing time to support background execution of non-gaming apps is a bit surprising.

While 10% may not sound like much, it is a large number especially considering what it is being used for. It is good to hear however that since the 10% is dedicated it will not ause friction or bumps while gaming. Still I would like to see how much GPU is sacrificed on the PS4. Check out the original article which goes into much greater depth and detail on many aspects of the Xbox One

Source: Digital Foundry @Eurogamer

Well, if it still operates without bumps or glitches, and still operates at a maximum capacity greater than the 360, then it's not really an issue right? That number represents the ability to run multiple apps at a time while having the Kinect still function. The number looks big but I doubt it really hurts the capability of the console.

Well, if it still operates without bumps or glitches, and still operates at a maximum capacity greater than the 360, then it's not really an issue right? That number represents the ability to run multiple apps at a time while having the Kinect still function. The number looks big but I doubt it really hurts the capability of the console.

That really depends on whether games react better on PS4 hardware because of it.

Interesting decision - on the one hand it means that you know going into development knowing not to expect 100 percent of the system. On the other hand that seems like a really big chunk just for dedication. What does this mean for the system's processing powers overall? I mean how are they setting it up - is it really data heavy or is the Kinect integration dragging things down or something?

Some surprising or maybe even alarming news (for some) about the inner workings of the XBOX ONE were posted earlier today.

While 10% may not sound like much, it is a large number especially considering what it is being used for. It is good to hear however that since the 10% is dedicated it will not ause friction or bumps while gaming. Still I would like to see how much GPU is sacrificed on the PS4. Check out the original article which goes into much greater depth and detail on many aspects of the Xbox One

Source: Digital Foundry @Eurogamer

ps4 is useing a high number as well..

dont quote me on this but out of the 8g of ram only 5 are avaliable for gaming(ps4) the system itself requires 3 just for the user interface.

I think of it as a good thing. Have you ever tried gaming on a PC that's using 100% CPU utilization? It gets choppy because the game (or rather the GPU) is waiting on the CPU to finish processing all the time, becoming unplayable.

With a 10% buffer you'll be less likely to hit the level where you get stutters. Any apps running inside that 10% most likely won't be taking the full 10% anyway.

And of course, I guarantee the PS4 is designed with something similar in mind.

Let me know if Forza, DR3, and Ryse all perform better on the PS4, since those are games I am buying at launch.

Seriously, look at the games and tell me you are alarmed.

I understand that was suppose to be sarcastic wit, but actually considering those are exclusives (which I know was your point) how about we wait till we're 2-3 years in the life cycle and we compare visuals and performance on XB1 exclusives versus PS4 exclusives. Once developers are familiar with the developmental landscape on both consoles we will see a difference especially on exclusives since multiplat games will be developed for the lowest denominator in mind. Only time will tell which console trumps which. I am getting an XB1 at launch regardless. I do however plan on getting PS4 with its first year since I like franchises on both consoles. I will tend to buy more multiplat games on which ever gives me a performance boost.

ps4 is useing a high number as well..

dont quote me on this but out of the 8g of ram only 5 are avaliable for gaming(ps4) the system itself requires 3 just for the user interface.

Well we already new the amount of ram for the operating system on both consoles was about the same, but this is the GPU we're talking about now. Both consoles are using 3gb ram for the operating systems, we still don't know how the GPU for the PS4 will be utilized.

I understand that was suppose to be sarcastic wit, but actually considering those are exclusives (which I know was your point) how about we wait till we're 2-3 years in the life cycle and we compare visuals and performance on XB1 exclusives versus PS4 exclusives. Once developers are familiar with the developmental landscape on both consoles we will see a difference especially on exclusives since multiplat games will be developed for the lowest denominator in mind. Only time will tell which console trumps which. I am getting an XB1 at launch regardless. I do however plan on getting PS4 with its first year since I like franchises on both consoles. I will tend to buy more multiplat games on which ever gives me a performance boost.

I know you were, I was playing into it. :)

And to be perfectly honest I really........REALLY.......REALLY don't care how the multi-platform games look against each other. Not now, and not 2-3 years from now. I've very much grown out of the whole console wars/penial waving stuff that goes on at those "other" forums and such. The PS4 being more powerful or looking better will have absolutely no bearing on my ability to enjoy the Xbox One. I care that the games are going to look fantastic, and all the media-based things that come along with it.

I know you were, I was playing into it. :)

And to be perfectly honest I really........REALLY.......REALLY don't care how the multi-platform games look against each other. Not now, and not 2-3 years from now. I've very much grown out of the whole console wars/penial waving stuff that goes on at those "other" forums and such. The PS4 being more powerful or looking better will have absolutely no bearing on my ability to enjoy the Xbox One. I care that the games are going to look fantastic, and all the media-based things that come along with it.

Then why mention the PS4 at all? Just mention the revelent games and make whatever point you're going for. Otherwise it just comes off as 'penial waving' versus you know... sarcastic wit or whatever you're going for.

Then why mention the PS4 at all? Just mention the revelent games and make whatever point you're going for. Otherwise it just comes off as 'penial waving' versus you know... sarcastic wit or whatever you're going for.

Kind of like this: I own a Subaru. I have absolutely zero desire to own a mitsubishi (Subaru's direct competition), but that doesn't stop me from comparing the two. :)

Because I was responding to someone's post? Helpful protip. If I say I don't care, it's actually means I don't care.

Kind of like this: I own a Subaru. I have absolutely zero desire to own a mitsubishi (Subaru's direct competition), but that doesn't stop me from comparing the two. :)

And what's funny is I wasn't even saying that. I own a Subaru. I don't care if the Mitsubishi runs circles around it. It won't impact my ability to enjoy driving my Subaru.

Somehow our friend he thinks this is sarcastic wit or dick waving. Not sure how that conclusion was come to from that, but ok.

Well with a big system that means that more power is needed. I honestly don't care what it takes as long as it runs smoothly and has good graphics. I think in the future we are going to be having 30gb of ram systems with 20gb being used on the system. As they are becoming more complex.

Back