Xbox One A cheaper Xbox One without Kinect?

spleendingo

From
Michigan
This definitely falls under the "rumor" section because I've never heard this before. I was checking out my twitter feed and saw a tweet saying there will be a cheaper Xbox One next year that will come without the Kinect. I responded to the person that posted this for a link to a page or article where this could be verified, but received no response back.

Has anyone heard of this before? If so, and it winds up being true, will that change your decision to buy a One this year?

This definitely falls under the "rumor" section because I've never heard this before. I was checking out my twitter feed and saw a tweet saying there will be a cheaper Xbox One next year that will come without the Kinect. I responded to the person that posted this for a link to a page or article where this could be verified, but received no response back.

Has anyone heard of this before? If so, and it winds up being true, will that change your decision to buy a One this year?

IGN interviewed Phil Harrison, who put that rumor to rest.

Harrison said,
"Correct. Xbox One is Kinect. They are not separate systems. An Xbox One has chips, it has memory, it has Blu-ray, it has Kinect, it has a controller. These are all part of the platform ecosystem."

Microsoft has been firm in their view of what Xbox One and kinect are. They have stated in other interviews that there are no future plans to remove the kinect.

Source: IGN

It's not going to be available separately. So yeah, don't hold your breath for it.

IGN interviewed Phil Harrison, who put that rumor to rest.

Harrison said,

Microsoft has been firm in their view of what Xbox One and kinect are. They have stated in other interviews that there are no future plans to remove the kinect.

Source: IGN
^^^That...Also it would not deter my Day 1purchase choice. I am excited to see what it can offer this generation.

At this point I've pretty much accepted that if we are able to afford the xbox one anytime soon, Kinect is coming with it whether we like it or not. I can only hope they improve the kinect games in the future.

At this point I've pretty much accepted that if we are able to afford the xbox one anytime soon, Kinect is coming with it whether we like it or not. I can only hope they improve the kinect games in the future.
With them being putting so much emphasis on kinect this gen, it's a given that they have some really amazing surprises for us in the store.

Yeah, they already confirmed that they really want to ship those two together, but i am hoping that they pull another "180" and later release a bundle without the Kinect, because like they said, they don't force people to use it, but here it is anyway.

With them being putting so much emphasis on kinect this gen, it's a given that they have some really amazing surprises for us in the store.

Is it a given? They pushed the Kinect a whole hell of a lot with the Xbox 360 as well, and we all saw how that turned out. The only difference now is that they're making us buy one. Why does that ensure any higher quality?

A Microsoft Rep said, before, that you could unplug the Kinect from the console and it'll still work fine, but I guess they've done a 180 on that. Does anyone actually know what Microsoft's actual stance on things are, now?

Is it a given? They pushed the Kinect a whole hell of a lot with the Xbox 360 as well, and we all saw how that turned out. The only difference now is that they're making us buy one. Why does that ensure any higher quality?

A Microsoft Rep said, before, that you could unplug the Kinect from the console and it'll still work fine, but I guess they've done a 180 on that. Does anyone actually know what Microsoft's actual stance on things are, now?

Yes, but I guess you are not. MSFT will NOT this time, ever come without the KiNECT. They have said numerous times they do not want to split the developers on making games for or with the KiNECT in mind. Even if you say you wont use it, and a game comes out with a feature that you may be interested in you can never say you cant use it because you WILL have a KiNECT. Unless you purposefully break it just to prove a point. Now I have said this before...if that KiNECT that makes the system 100 dollars more. If that 100 dolalrs is THAT big of a deal and will break your bank...then you DO NOT need to even be buying a next gen. system yet.

Yes, but I guess you are not. MSFT will NOT this time, ever come without the KiNECT. They have said numerous times they do not want to split the developers on making games for or with the KiNECT in mind. Even if you say you wont use it, and a game comes out with a feature that you may be interested in you can never say you cant use it because you WILL have a KiNECT. Unless you purposefully break it just to prove a point. Now I have said this before...if that KiNECT that makes the system 100 dollars more. If that 100 dolalrs is THAT big of a deal and will break your bank...then you DO NOT need to even be buying a next gen. system yet.

Well said. Ya know.....there is a ton of hate towards Kinect and it's not even out yet. Me...I had the Kinect for 360 and used it for family type games. I'm pretty excited to see what it can do. Especially Skype the people I have been playing with for almost 7 years now. I have only seen pics and think it would be a lot of fun. (I know you can Skype on pc)

Yes, it is a given. First, they pushed Kinect yes. And people don't remember that there are multiple multi-million seller Kinect games out there. So it's not like no one has bought games for it.

Second, they brought it out 6 years into the Xbox 360. The new Xbox is being built around the Kinect as an input, not just an accessory.

Third, we expect higher quality because the sensor itself is fundamentally and technically superior from the original Kinect in almost every way. It can do more and do it better. So we expect it to have better integration in games and apps.

Come on, that's NeoGaf-style stuff there. And I hope this forum is better than this. Kinect can be unplugged from the console so that if it breaks it doesn't brick your console. It has nothing to do with the level of integration the Kinect 2.0 has with the console. Nothing at all.

Well said. Ya know.....there is a ton of hate towards Kinect and it's not even out yet. Me...I had the Kinect for 360 and used it for family type games. I'm pretty excited to see what it can do. Especially Skype the people I have been playing with for almost 7 years now. I have only seen pics and think it would be a lot of fun. (I know you can Skype on pc)

There will always be hate lol. Everyone hates the KiNECT 2.0 and they haven't even used it. Pretty funny isn't it lol.

Kinect 2.0 will fail if they don't include it with every console. MS knows this. You won't see it removed from XB1 unless the sales on the console are really poor (very unlikely at this point based on preorders).

Kinect 1 failed because of two things:
-low adoption rates
-the tech wasn't that great

You have to get a Kinect hooked up to every XB1 to get developers to take advantage of it. Make it optional and nobody buys it and nobody develops for it. You have to get it out there before anyone builds good things around it.

The technology has supposedly improved quite a bit as well.

The worst case scenario is if Kinect doesn't take off, we end up with an expensive web cam and mic. You still get vice commands in games, Skype video, adding your own video to game clips (you can upload clips with a picture in picture of you playing), etc. That's only if nobody can find better uses for it over the next 5+ years. Seems unlikely to me.

People want to see something great on it before buying it, but it doesn't work that way. Making something optional on a console means it is guaranteed to fail.

Yes, it is a given. First, they pushed Kinect yes. And people don't remember that there are multiple multi-million seller Kinect games out there. So it's not like no one has bought games for it.

Second, they brought it out 6 years into the Xbox 360. The new Xbox is being built around the Kinect as an input, not just an accessory.

Third, we expect higher quality because the sensor itself is fundamentally and technically superior from the original Kinect in almost every way. It can do more and do it better. So we expect it to have better integration in games and apps.

Come on, that's NeoGaf-style stuff there. And I hope this forum is better than this. Kinect can be unplugged from the console so that if it breaks it doesn't brick your console. It has nothing to do with the level of integration the Kinect 2.0 has with the console. Nothing at all.

For the record Reptar is making an excellent point - if one you don't agree with.
1. While there are multi-million sales for some Kinect games, practically every C.O.D. is a multi-million seller and no one has ever claimed that is a sign of them being awesome.
2. The new Xbox is supposed to be built around the Kinect, but you don't (as told by Microsoft) require the Kinect to run your system. So really the question is how great is the difference in actuality.
3. You're hoping that a better sensor will mean a better item, but then again bigger doesn't mean better. Think of the PS3 and practically every game ported to it if going by comments. Still it is better than the PS2 technically and the 360 going just by tech included.

Finally, calling them NeoGaf (which I guess is an insult?) because of their last point is rather sorry because as said in my 2nd point - Microsoft informed gamers they didn't require the Kinect. They did not in anyway quantify or qualify that statement as you did. They simply said point-blank - Kinect is not required to run system. Hence why people keep asking if there will ever be a Kinect-free system for purchase.

For the record Reptar is making an excellent point - if one you don't agree with.
1. While there are multi-million sales for some Kinect games, practically every C.O.D. is a multi-million seller and no one has ever claimed that is a sign of them being awesome.
2. The new Xbox is supposed to be built around the Kinect, but you don't (as told by Microsoft) require the Kinect to run your system. So really the question is how great is the difference in actuality.
3. You're hoping that a better sensor will mean a better item, but then again bigger doesn't mean better. Think of the PS3 and practically every game ported to it if going by comments. Still it is better than the PS2 technically and the 360 going just by tech included.

Finally, calling them NeoGaf (which I guess is an insult?) because of their last point is rather sorry because as said in my 2nd point - Microsoft informed gamers they didn't require the Kinect. They did not in anyway quantify or qualify that statement as you did. They simply said point-blank - Kinect is not required to run system. Hence why people keep asking if there will ever be a Kinect-free system for purchase.

1. They're aiming for successful, not "awesome"

2.The Kinect is no longer require due to a bunch of forum/online brats throwing a tantrum, not due to lack of integration.

3. Bigger is not always better, but usually better is better. Sorry I think your point is moot. The PS3's flaw was not that they relied on bigger specs under the hood to win the fight, but that they locked their ram in such a way that developers could not manipulate the memory to suit their needs. Skyrim would be a great example of the problem.

4.I'm an active Neogaffer and while I agree its often a negative and condescending environment I don't think they're solely to blame, but of course they played their part. MSFT was horrible coming out the gate and most of the misconceptions are a result of their mishandling.

2.The Kinect is no longer require due to a bunch of forum/online brats throwing a tantrum, not due to lack of integration.

3. Bigger is not always better, but usually better is better. Sorry I think your point is moot. The PS3's flaw was not that they relied on bigger specs under the hood to win the fight, but that they locked their ram in such a way that developers could not manipulate the memory to suit their needs. Skyrim would be a great example of the problem.

4.I'm an active Neogaffer and while I agree its often a negative and condescending environment I don't think they're solely to blame, but of course they played their part. MSFT was horrible coming out the gate and most of the misconceptions are a result of their mishandling.

Well said mate! They aren't going for Awesome dude!"lol. And I do agree, their PR...ugh..for the love of all things sacred lol.

1. They're banking all of their success on a piece of hardware that has a bad reputation. For their sake, I dearly hope it turns out alright.

2. Uh, so, Microsoft read some forums and saw people throwing fits and then... changed the hardware on their own console that was probably under production anyways? I think you're attributing a bit much of Microsoft's lack of commitment to people on the internet.

3. But you're making a mistake. You're assuming that the Kinect 2.0 will be good. Sure, it'll be better than the regular Kinect, but the regular Kinect isn't that great. Even if it's better, it may not be worth the price of the extra 100 dollars. If worst comes to worst, sure, you'll just end up saddled with a really expensive webcam/microphone, but that's the thing. People don't want an expensive webcam or microphone. They don't even want the Kinect in the first place. Microsoft is forcing people to buy it, and if it turns out that more people don't want the Kinect than people do, Microsoft will be in a lot of trouble.

1. They're banking all of their success on a piece of hardware that has a bad reputation. For their sake, I dearly hope it turns out alright.

2. Uh, so, Microsoft read some forums and saw people throwing fits and then... changed the hardware on their own console that was probably under production anyways? I think you're attributing a bit much of Microsoft's lack of commitment to people on the internet.

3. But you're making a mistake. You're assuming that the Kinect 2.0 will be good. Sure, it'll be better than the regular Kinect, but the regular Kinect isn't that great. Even if it's better, it may not be worth the price of the extra 100 dollars. If worst comes to worst, sure, you'll just end up saddled with a really expensive webcam/microphone, but that's the thing. People don't want an expensive webcam or microphone. They don't even want the Kinect in the first place. Microsoft is forcing people to buy it, and if it turns out that more people don't want the Kinect than people do, Microsoft will be in a lot of trouble.

..........So I guess you must not be following what they are saying. They have ALWAYS stated that they are listening to the community feedback. So unless you are trying to make something good sound bad...you are putting yourself just like Sony. That is a GOOD thing they listened to a lot of the feed back. And they didn't change their hardware off of customer feed back. Nice troll though, and please...keep making me laugh :D As for this comment, you mine as well eat your own words...because there is PLENTY of your comments to back up this statement up..YOU are assuming the KiNECT 2.0 will be bad, will not be wanted, will not be used, and will fail. Once again for this comment, the people YOU know and the people I know comment will always be mute. I wonder who they are? Once again, that comment is mute. For this.....riiiiiiight If YOU or anyone else ABSOLUTLEY DOES NOT WANT THE KINECT AND THE EARTH WILL BLOW UP YOU DONT WANT IT....Then...Don't buy it. MSFT isn't forcing you to buy it...are they? No. Please continue Reptar...you are making my Sunday that much better :D I guess all in all...EVERYONE on this forum knows that YOU will not be buying the X1 Reptar. If you do get it, then EVERYTHING you complain about will be for NOTHING. If you did get it, why would you put yourself through SO much anguish and despair on a console that you have so much beef with?

Back