And Yet It Moves...

Murray

From
Midwest US
A quick note... I've decided to start at the top and play through my steam list. I'll review each game and maybe one day you'll find a gem or avoid a piece of trash.

And Yet It Moves...This Indie puzzler was part of a humble bundle from yester year and I played about 10 minutes of it before this play through. This game has 3 levels and provides you with one of the strangest set of environmental graphics you'll ever see. The puzzles are based on gravity and turning the world as if you moved a box and changed its perspective.

While this game does host clever puzzles and has some fun levels, much of the game is based on trial and error. you'll find yourself knowing and understanding what you have to do but you could end up dying near 50 times to complete a movement on a level and then get killed before a save point.

There's very little that I consider to be good about the game outside of its short play time of about 4 hours. The time seems to be almost falsely extended because of the amount of times you die. A good puzzler usually takes about 3 or 4 tries before you figure out what's going on. At least the puzzlers I have played. This one is madness, while not difficult, you simply are too weak in this game and are victim to the difficulty being in poor level design versus intelligent puzzle design.

This game isn't all bad, but because of the motion of the puzzles and what you have to do in the world it will make some feel sick. Even I felt sick after playing through one of the 3 worlds and I usually don't get that way.

This isn't something I can recommend in a world of games that are just astounding, but as far as Indie games are concerned its just "okay."

A 2 out of 5

Why a 2 and not a 5:

* The design of the levels create a false difficulty. The puzzles should provide difficulty not trying to make a jump that kills you 4 out of 5 times.
* The game can make you feel cheated at some points because of the physics that you just used to go through one level killing you in the next. This shows the engine itself having flaws or leaks perhaps.
* The music is awful in this game and in a puzzler where you're thinking, its important to have something to focus on
* The game itself doesn't define itself or stick itself out in the genre. Its a poor production with some fun elements.
* Play through the first and second world at most. The Third world will melt your eyes.

hmm interesting read there, Indie developers generally make good underground titles, thats what I've been finding out, and often times its better than those huge game developers, that are just interested in milking every penny out of you, yes I'm talking to you EA

I agree, Sean.

There's some great titles out there. Bastion, Braid, Limbo, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, 60 second hero, and on and on. I can see what this game was going for. It wanted to create this puzzle environment where you feel out the way you move the environment and progress through the level. Part of the mechanics is this fragile main character guy where you gain too much momentum and fall too hard you die. I almost feel like this hurts the game because there were other ways to create difficulties and give you more ability to not get killed by landing oddly. I think the fun in this is using the environment and crashing through some of the obstacles to get where you're going.

There wasn't enough of that and we're talking about some great puzzlers in Braid and Limbo when I think of Indie development. I just thought of another game but the name escapes me.

Anyway, they shot, I think they'll hit a very small sector of environmental puzzling fanatics but otherwise just the first world and maybe second world and by the third you're good, you don't need that one.

Back