Xbox One Are all Xbox One Controllers going to be Wireless?

Tactics

Wireless Controllers are neat and cool for games that I'm just enjoying. But sometimes I like to take games really serious and I prefer to not have to change batteries or other inconveniences that come with Wireless Controllers.

Yes, but also no.

Every Xbox One controller is wireless. However, when you plug it in via USB it becomes wired and sends the signal via wire instead of wireless (while also charging batteries, if you are using the charge-pack - or in the case of your question, it's using the power via cable instead of the batteries).

This is in contrast to how Xbox 360 controllers work. X360 has both wireless and wired. An X360 wireless controller when plugged in via USB is still sending the signal wireless, but is getting power via the USB. This is why you can't plug an Xbox 360 wireless controller via USB into your computer and have it work, because the controller is still sending a wireless signal.

This makes the Xbox One controllers great for both Xbox One and PC gaming, because you don't need to buy a 'wired' controller for it to work on the PC, you can just plug it in via USB and it'll send the signal via USB instead. I'm really glad Microsoft did this.

They will be wireless, but you will have to plug them for charging anyways. What does that have to do with being serious while gaming? I mean, it doesn't make any difference for me.

They will be wireless, but you will have to plug them for charging anyways. What does that have to do with being serious while gaming? I mean, it doesn't make any difference for me.

Well if your a competitive gamer there is a noticeable latency issue. The new controllers don't use the usb simply to charge any more. It turns the controller into a wired controller, which was an intentional design aesthetic so that competitive gamers no longer have any lag by simply turning the controller into a true wired version. So you essentially have 2 controllers in one. This is not possible with the 360 since when you plug in to charge, the signal is still being received wirelessly.

I believe the original gamer will live on in all of the new gen systems. Yes, wired controllers will exist to the Xbox One, if not in due time.

I hate having to worry about scrambling to charge when I am in the middle of playing. I just hope that these new controllers will have a longer battery life so that I don't have to recharge so much. At least you can still use it when you plug into the USB. Let's just see how much these controllers are going to cost when I need a replacement.

I hate having to worry about scrambling to charge when I am in the middle of playing. I just hope that these new controllers will have a longer battery life so that I don't have to recharge so much. At least you can still use it when you plug into the USB. Let's just see how much these controllers are going to cost when I need a replacement.

Controllers are $60 unless you want the plug & play, then it's $75

I don't really mind if its wired or wireless, what I want is a wired controller that continues to work with my PC! That's the best part about the wired 360 controller is that I can put into my PC and then you have a controller for steam games. What's interesting is that you have a game like Dead Island that ported to the PC and the control scheme still looks like the 360. Pretty funny little failure on their part.

Yes, but also no.

Every Xbox One controller is wireless. However, when you plug it in via USB it becomes wired and sends the signal via wire instead of wireless (while also charging batteries, if you are using the charge-pack - or in the case of your question, it's using the power via cable instead of the batteries).

This is in contrast to how Xbox 360 controllers work. X360 has both wireless and wired. An X360 wireless controller when plugged in via USB is still sending the signal wireless, but is getting power via the USB. This is why you can't plug an Xbox 360 wireless controller via USB into your computer and have it work, because the controller is still sending a wireless signal.

This makes the Xbox One controllers great for both Xbox One and PC gaming, because you don't need to buy a 'wired' controller for it to work on the PC, you can just plug it in via USB and it'll send the signal via USB instead. I'm really glad Microsoft did this.

Sweet, I can't wait till Scuf Gaming gets ahold of these controllers, if they put out there first line of products before Halo 5 comes out, I'll probably own a Xbox One Scuf Controller before I own an Xbox One.

It strikes me that I would like to see an update to Xbox Glass that turns it into my gaming remote. If I could have an additional controller in the form of my iPad or iPhone that would be really sweet. Then they would also have a viable competitor against the steam box controller. That's the definition of getting two birds stoned at once.

It strikes me that I would like to see an update to Xbox Glass that turns it into my gaming remote. If I could have an additional controller in the form of my iPad or iPhone that would be really sweet. Then they would also have a viable competitor against the steam box controller. That's the definition of getting two birds stoned at once.

The steam controller is designed with a specific type of PC games and not ideal for all or even many gaming genres. Seems improbable for Microsoft to turn a tablet into a controller since the feel would be off and the controls would not be very precise in comparison.

Well if your a competitive gamer there is a noticeable latency issue. The new controllers don't use the usb simply to charge any more. It turns the controller into a wired controller, which was an intentional design aesthetic so that competitive gamers no longer have any lag by simply turning the controller into a true wired version. So you essentially have 2 controllers in one. This is not possible with the 360 since when you plug in to charge, the signal is still being received wirelessly.

I never noticed that much latency in input when playing wirelessly, maybe it's because the console is really close to the controller? The only time i have them wired is when i am charging them and playing at the same time.

I never noticed that much latency in input when playing wirelessly, maybe it's because the console is really close to the controller? The only time i have them wired is when i am charging them and playing at the same time.

It s more noticeable when playing twitch based games since it can literally make or break your run.

Yes, but also no.

Well, that sounds great. Let me get this straight though, does this mean that we don't have to buy a separate Play and Charge kit? Not like it matters too much to me, as I prefer wireless, but I wanna know.

Well, that sounds great. Let me get this straight though, does this mean that we don't have to buy a separate Play and Charge kit? Not like it matters too much to me, as I prefer wireless, but I wanna know.

The USB cable is not included. So whether for charging or converting to wire, the cable is sold separately.

Honestly, I agree with you - my xbox 360 controller has literally died on me like 20 times when I was playing black ops 2 ranked games, even when I was playing with a pre-made team! It was really frustrating, so I've started to have a spare next to me. Another massive problem is that sometimes one battery is completely used, while the other isn't - so it isn't exactly very economical.

Agree with this one. Microsoft touched on a .3milla sec iirc latency with wireless. That's probably on full charge and new battery's. I know my 360 controller (USB charged) works much better plugged in USB. I think my battery/pack is shot. If not plugged in it drains power quick. If I am on Netflix or an app I tend to use smart glass thru my iphone

Back