Xbox One Bad news - Oculus Rift won't do Xbox One and PS4

ragnafable11

The Oculus Rift has captured a fair amount of attention for its ability to help immerse its users in fictional worlds, but it seems that Xbox One and PlayStation 4 owners won't be part of its audience.

"Consoles are too limited for what we want to do," Oculus Rift inventor Palmer Luckey told TechRadar. "We're trying to make the best virtual reality device in the world and we want to continue to innovate and upgrade every year - continue making progress internally - and whenever we make big jumps we want to push that to the public."

There is currently a single model of the device planned for consumers that will be compatible with Android devices and PCs. The device's parent company, Oculus VR, recently recruited Doom programmer John Carmack as its Chief Technology Officer and is planning to release the Oculus Rift sometime next year.

I guess they want to expand their product to new ventures. I hope they could make something similar to Sword Art Online's Nerve Gear without the perma-death option on the game. What are your thoughts?

Aww man. Bummer. I was hoping that they would have this available for Xbox One or PS4, But oh well. I hope they're planning something better that may go beyond the next generation consoles that we have currently. This may change the way we play games. Well I agree it would be nice if they could develop something similar to Sword Art Online. But I guess it may take 10 years.

When Oculus Rift DOES come out, it is going to be amazing. In the mean time, I trust that Carmack is the man and will give us something crazy awesome when it's ready. I'd much rather wait for a polished product than have them hack something together for Xbox One and PS4 any day of the week!

When Oculus Rift DOES come out, it is going to be amazing. In the mean time, I trust that Carmack is the man and will give us something crazy awesome when it's ready. I'd much rather wait for a polished product than have them hack something together for Xbox One and PS4 any day of the week!

Yeah, so true. Once this is out, everyone would want to get their hands on it. This will revolutionize the gaming industry.

The new product that Oculus Rift has will definitely change the gaming industry. I can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

Bummer, I was hoping that they would have it on Xbox One. Well, as long as they are working on the project, I'm good. This will be a great innovation for the gaming genre. It might not be long and we'll see the dawn of the new age for the gaming world. The birth (possibly) of VRMMORPG.

I guess they want to expand their product to new ventures. I hope they could make something similar to Sword Art Online's Nerve Gear without the perma-death option on the game. What are your thoughts?

XD hahahahahahah. Dood, you really had to mention Sword Art Online eh? I'm currently watching it on Crunchyroll via their Anime Membership. On Episode 4. Anyway, awww damn. I was hoping they could do it. Oh well, there's always the PC I guess. And yes, I hope we don't end up going into a game being run by some maniac who traps us all with the permadeath option.

Bummer, I was hoping that they would have it on Xbox One. Well, as long as they are working on the project, I'm good. This will be a great innovation for the gaming genre. It might not be long and we'll see the dawn of the new age for the gaming world. The birth (possibly) of VRMMORPG.

I know right? Dang, I was hoping for it too. Oh well, I still want to see Oculus Rift succeed. It may lead to other developments for the next-gen consoles. That's better than nothing right?

Oh well, there goes my fantasy. I was hoping it would come to the Xbox One but eh. But maybe, like what marthyrocks says, it can lead into something console-specific. We'll see where it goes.

What? No Oculus Rift? Noooooo! Ah well, there's always another guy who can come up with something for the next-gen consoles. Maybe it'll be something that can utilize what the next-gen consoles have. But it does already give us the idea that the next-gen consoles aren't yet on par with the PC. Still, there may be something in development. We just need to wait.

Well, there goes my hopes and dreams to see the world of Dead Rising 3 through my eyes. But yes, like what the others say here, I think it there's more in development. It might not be the Oculus Rift but console-specific gear may be in the works. We'll see.

Well, there goes my hopes and dreams to see the world of Dead Rising 3 through my eyes. But yes, like what the others say here, I think it there's more in development. It might not be the Oculus Rift but console-specific gear may be in the works. We'll see.

Yeah, same here. But who knows, they might have a version for most of the games on pc, xbox one, ps4 and even wii available on their own Oculus Rift console. I guess we just have to wait for more updates from them.

I heard they're planning on reviving Doom but it will only be available for Oculus Rift. I know it's too early to expect much on the new tech but who knows, they might get more games available for their console.

Yeah, well it's true that they won't be doing Xbox One and PS4 but there are good news to it.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/174041-ces-2014-wearable-gaming-exoskeleton-pairs-up-with-oculus-rift-for-the-ultimate-virtual-reality-experience

The buzz behind Oculus Rift and the headset’s next-gen VR capabilities have inspired a host of additional products all aimed at creating a more immersive gaming experience. One of the most aggressive attempts to build a full-body solution for gaming use comes from PrioVR. The company recently yanked a Kickstarter campaign after its attempt to raise $250,000 to finalize the device only garnered $111,000 worth of support, but was on-site at CES 2014 to demonstrate a half-body version of the suit that could be paired with the Oculus VR headset.

PrioVR’s goal is to built a total body suit for under $400, while the half-body suit that encompasses head, arm, chest, and hand gestures is meant to come in under $270. According to the company, they’ve built an SDK that can be integrated into all major game engines. The partnership with Oculus, as you might expect, is a bit physically complicated. PrioVR is building a full-body motion capture solution that can incorporate input from the entirety of you. The company’s website videos and photos show players diving, kicking, punching, and engaging in other activities that require a high degree of spatial awareness. Oculus is building a high-end VR simulator that straps on to your face. Combine the two, and you’ve got the recipe for the most hilarious YouTube videos in decades. How long before “Husband attacks zombie, accidentally punches cat through television” actually becomes a thing?

It makes sense to me that they'd edge away from console releases. I'm thinking it's definitely a quality issue. I got to try out Oculus this past summer, and it was pretty amazing. I don't think you could mass-produce it without sacrificing that quality. I'm glad they have a vision and they're sticking to it.

Also? That full body suit sounds crazy!

It makes sense to me that they'd edge away from console releases. I'm thinking it's definitely a quality issue. I got to try out Oculus this past summer, and it was pretty amazing. I don't think you could mass-produce it without sacrificing that quality. I'm glad they have a vision and they're sticking to it.

Also? That full body suit sounds crazy!

Sony has VR glasses, Oculus has the VR googles, Microsoft doesn't have any. I don't know why they can't make one.

I know man. They've all been trying to do the same thing that Occulus Rift has started. I don't know why microsoft isn't doing anything about it but I guess they're hiding something that would possibly shock us.

Sony has VR glasses, Oculus has the VR googles, Microsoft doesn't have any. I don't know why they can't make one.

microsoft has held patents on vr sytem for years... dont kid yourself... i would put money microsofts vr would put oculous to shame... but the market is so slim and price is high..

think of the traction oculous has... very little in comparison to ps4/xb1.. the dev's for consoles already have their hands full and they keep saying the market is almost a bust.. no money/ blah blah blah... do you think they could really get behind oculous and expect to survive??

think about it... we had cd based games 15 years ago.. sega cd/jaguar and it took almost 6-10 years for the industry to get to that stage in a "large market" for all consoles to go that route... xbox,ps1... and it really only took off with the 360/ps2/3 i wouldnt expect the vr market to catch on that fast..heck we have herd about it since the early 90's(maybe earlier)... heck look at microsofts ilumi room.. who needs goggles.. just build a room around gaming with a alumiroom and hd projecter and your basically immersed in the game...
[video=youtube;nGGMv9RnJIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGGMv9RnJIA[/video]

microsoft has held patents on vr sytem for years... dont kid yourself... i would put money microsofts vr would put oculous to shame... but the market is so slim and price is high..

think of the traction oculous has... very little in comparison to ps4/xb1.. the dev's for consoles already have their hands full and they keep saying the market is almost a bust.. no money/ blah blah blah... do you think they could really get behind oculous and expect to survive??

think about it... we had cd based games 15 years ago.. sega cd/jaguar and it took almost 6-10 years for the industry to get to that stage in a "large market" for all consoles to go that route... xbox,ps1... and it really only took off with the 360/ps2/3 i wouldnt expect the vr market to catch on that fast..heck we have herd about it since the early 90's(maybe earlier)... heck look at microsofts ilumi room.. who needs goggles.. just build a room around gaming with a alumiroom and hd projecter and your basically immersed in the game...

Wow. Microsoft really has it. I agree it would take a while but judging from the timeframe it might take a lot lower than 6 years.

Sounds good. Will they make this for this generation? What are your thoughts?

Back