Xbox One Battlefield 4 banned in China over 'China Rising' DLC

jstep

Former Moderator
From
The D
Our own Spark_777 already mentioned this in a previous thread, but for all of you that hadn't heard the news, the Chinese government has banned Battlefield 4 over the new 'China Rising' DLC. It takes place on Chinese land, where a Chinese military leader starts an attack on American forces. Apparently the Chinese government feels that the game needs to be banned due to aggression against the Chinese and national security. I'm not sure exactly what that means...do they think that the Chinese citizens will feel that the US is acting aggressively towards them? It's just a video game people. Just one of the most popular video games out at the moment. I say let the people decide whether they want to play the game or not!

EA’s “Battlefield” is not the only game that has been banned by the communist regime. Videogame consoles broadly have been banned in the country for over a decade, primarily for concern over the impact on children. The government has begun loosening its restrictions, but in the past years enthusiasts have had to buy the devices from importers and private retail outlets, such as China’s ubiquitous computer malls.

Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Securities, said the ban is likely to have little if any impact on EA’s business. He noted that the country routinely censors all sorts of content, including the Internet broadly. Videogame companies in particular tend to have to spend six months to a year removing images such as bones from dungeons, he added, because it’s culturally distasteful.

Source: WSJ

Chinese person here. This is absurd. I think it's actually pretty damn cool that Chinese people are featured in a big western blockbuster action game. You don't get to see it very often. I wish governments like China and Australia would just leave us gamers alone and let us enjoy our damn hobby. /rant.

Nothing surprising seeing China bans pretty much everything that they think is bad image for China. I'm surprised they didn't outright ban the game for its main campaign since the player was killing Chinese soldiers.

Nothing surprising seeing China bans pretty much everything that they think is bad image for China. I'm surprised they didn't outright ban the game for its main campaign since the player was killing Chinese soldiers.

Yeah, well I guess they're pretty protective about their image. I wonder if another country will make a game that will make USA look bad. Well, I don't mind playing the game that other countries makes. It's the game play that matters most.

China always ban stuff from other countries that make them feel bad. I don't think this will be a good move for them since it will further the gap between the countries around them. They have to be more liberated about these things, anyways, it's just a game right?

Chinese person here. This is absurd. I think it's actually pretty damn cool that Chinese people are featured in a big western blockbuster action game. You don't get to see it very often. I wish governments like China and Australia would just leave us gamers alone and let us enjoy our damn hobby. /rant.

Hey there dood. Man, I can agree. Why can;t you guys enjoy what others can enjoy? It's all for the agenda of your country. I don't get it either. Even Australia and their R-rated rants. Yeah, I can also wish they leave you and the other gamers of your country and Australia to enjoy the games. I hope they can do something so you can enjoy the great games coming out.

Yeah, I got mentioned! All right, so anywho... yeah, I agree. Why does the government have to butt in on everything the citizens want to play? It sucks when THEY (the government) butts in and decides whether a game is bad or not. See, even our buddy Chinese gamer here is pissed his country's government won't let him enjoy BF4: China Rising. Heck, I'm even surprised they banned a game like Assassin's Creed 3. What the.... how in the world did a game like AC3 become bad for China? It's heavily focused on American history.

Hey there dood. Man, I can agree. Why can;t you guys enjoy what others can enjoy? It's all for the agenda of your country. I don't get it either. Even Australia and their R-rated rants. Yeah, I can also wish they leave you and the other gamers of your country and Australia to enjoy the games. I hope they can do something so you can enjoy the great games coming out.

Absolutely, well it's not really surprising that China is acting this way. Since they had quite some issue with other countries. But they should be open to changes, open to new stuff.

the china dlc maps in multiplayer are crap. i see why they gave it away for free.

as for the goverment blocking the game or dlc.. its whatever it sux and makes no sense... im surprised they didn't have anything to say with the Shanghai map as it is located in china and has America vs china when playing.. i guess its selective what they want/dont want.

why not just block that dlc and run the game.. or is that what is happening.

Absolutely, well it's not really surprising that China is acting this way. Since they had quite some issue with other countries. But they should be open to changes, open to new stuff.

Yeah, they should right? They ought to be open to it. But then again, they got a history. But then again, it still makes me wonder what kind of harm can the Battlefield 4's story do to its people? Ah, it just doesn't make any sense to me. I hope this doesn't affect other Xbox One games.

the china dlc maps in multiplayer are crap. i see why they gave it away for free.

as for the goverment blocking the game or dlc.. its whatever it sux and makes no sense... im surprised they didn't have anything to say with the Shanghai map as it is located in china and has America vs china when playing.. i guess its selective what they want/dont want.

why not just block that dlc and run the game.. or is that what is happening.

It just doesn't make sense at all. DLC blocking sure but the game itself? It makes me wonder what is bad or good to them. So what, would the game make its residents defect or something? It's just a game after all.

Blocking the DLC would make more sense, I'm not for blocking it period, but I don't see why the entire game should be banned. You're really going to end up to the point where Bubble Bobble and Tetris are the only acceptable things to play.

Heck, I'm even surprised they banned a game like Assassin's Creed 3. What the.... how in the world did a game like AC3 become bad for China? It's heavily focused on American history.

When I heard that the first time I thought "Where does China fit into colonial American history in this particular setting and point in the period?" I could somewhat understand banning a wild west-themed game that featured Chinese working on railroads, that would be more in line with their banning...focus, but really that look worse towards America's treatment of immigrants (and people who were here first and brought here/raised generations here) at different periods in time than the Chinese.

@ThunderSteel to be fair china plays a big role (sometimes negative) in the campaign/multiplayer in just the vanilla version as well and well...china is kinda ban central

Blocking the DLC would make more sense, I'm not for blocking it period, but I don't see why the entire game should be banned. You're really going to end up to the point where Bubble Bobble and Tetris are the only acceptable things to play.

Bubble Bobble and Tetris are fairly violent games. I think various checkers, chess, and general board games will be allowed only...which defeats the purpose of getting any console. Like "I spent actual currency for Xbox Live Gold to play Chess competitively. I don't need all that talk on my headset :mad:"

Of course they did. I'm not surprised that the governement did this though I wish they hadn't. The Chinese government have been pretty reasonable over the years with allowing a lot of stuff through though I do believe that they still ban Facebook for whatever reason. I agree that I wish that they hand't banned the game and just got rid of the DLC if it was really that big of a deal.

Of course they did. I'm not surprised that the governement did this though I wish they hadn't. The Chinese government have been pretty reasonable over the years with allowing a lot of stuff through though I do believe that they still ban Facebook for whatever reason. I agree that I wish that they hand't banned the game and just got rid of the DLC if it was really that big of a deal.

Yeah, they could just had the DLC removed or banned instead. That way the people of china can still play the game.

When I heard that the first time I thought "Where does China fit into colonial American history in this particular setting and point in the period?" I could somewhat understand banning a wild west-themed game that featured Chinese working on railroads, that would be more in line with their banning...focus, but really that look worse towards America's treatment of immigrants (and people who were here first and brought here/raised generations here) at different periods in time than the Chinese.

You make a point there. The immigrant element... so China hates immigrant treatment in some games, so they'll just ban it huh? A good point I guess. Still, it's too bad for the Chinese gamers who'd like to try it out just to enjoy the American landscape of the 19th century, they'll never get to try it.

Yeah, they could just had the DLC removed or banned instead. That way the people of china can still play the game.

I know right? Just because of one DLC, an entire game is already banned. Sometimes, it's ridiculous the kind of criteria that Culture org. uses to judge what gets banned or not banned in China. Just one itsy bitsy bad side of China, and the country will ban it.

Bubble Bobble and Tetris are fairly violent games. I think various checkers, chess, and general board games will be allowed only...which defeats the purpose of getting any console. Like "I spent actual currency for Xbox Live Gold to play Chess competitively. I don't need all that talk on my headset :mad:"

It's getting riDONKEYlous (YES, I said it). Can't China just be easy on this? For the love of games, games will NOT change their residents' minds. Geez man. Gamers were made to entertain, not to form some kind of agenda. Geez man. See what happened? A fellow Chinese gamer here in the forums is pissed this happened. And China says it'll help. Hahah. Just one gamer already proved that wrong.

Sadly I haven't been able to play this DLC because of all the issues with the game. It doesn't even acknowledge I have it installed.

Back