Xbox One Battlefield 4 banned in China over 'China Rising' DLC

I guess the magistrates in China are really militant in any games that might cause children to cognitively rebel against the existence they have in their quotidian lifestyles. It’s unfortunate that this is something that’s prevalent for over a decade, but I guess when it comes to preventing conflict from arising, China’s morale for stability would take more precedence.

I mean, considering with regions like North Korea that would be more secluded and have citizens have a warped view of the world, it’s not too surprising to see people’s conceptual schemes, upbringing, and such being challenged in China. Though I wonder if the magistrates ever considered that the whole plot of the “China rising” DLC could be a way for them to encourage nationalism for their own country.

But I guess that’s just not an option they’ll be taking, and it’s unfortunate, but I guess it can’t be helped. Makes me wonder how many games with questionable imaginary conflict with other countries gets freely distributed here in the US and taken for granted. And here people would go ballistic if a game had censorship just because it’s too “gore-y” and what have you.

The chinese seem to have quite a few strange bans, Dota 2, though I personally do not usually look into them and I think it is kind of silly that they can not deal with being the enemy of a video game. Hopefully this does not turn into anything too extreme.

Still baffles me a lot. Well, at least some games aren't banned. China's got to look over their criteria. Heck, do they even play the games? Sometimes I wonder if when they saw the summary of the story, they just thought the moment their country is mentioned and how it's involved, they'll just ban it like crazy.,

The chinese seem to have quite a few strange bans, Dota 2, though I personally do not usually look into them and I think it is kind of silly that they can not deal with being the enemy of a video game. Hopefully this does not turn into anything too extreme.

Yeah, same here. *Sigh* I just can't understand it sometimes. I mean, look, one of the users in this forum is pissed that his country (China) is doing the ban. He's even glad China is a star in the game.

All because for just one DLC.... I still cannot get my head on this one. And seeing some of the games they banned, it's still hard to understand how AC3 gets banned. Ah well, at least there are other games not banned.

All in all, I guess we're just not going to be able to do anything. It's banned. Guess we can just hope they don't ban other games for our fellow gamers in China.

Sucks for China, but this isn't new. The government bans a ton of things and things that they think insult the country. While I hope that they reconsider, I'm not getting my hopes way up with them changing their minds but there was a point when we didn't think China was going to become a capitalist society so who knows.

Can almost understand the sensitivity to this situation. The current climate over the in the South China Sea is extremely tense, and many analysts in fact think that war between China and Japan (possibly Taiwan in the mix as well) is possible given the current situation. I love how first-person shooters always make Russians or Chinese the primary antagonists- so cliche at this point ahahah

Curious what other games have been banned, other than Dota 2. I'm not an expert on Chinese culture or politics, but I don't think this is surprising.

Dota 2 being banned doesn't really make sense to me, but I'm sure it wasn't just randomly banned.

It seems like it would take some heavy negotiation to get some games off the ban list. Some just aren't getting of the ban list, but if a game or DLC is banned, it could be lifted years later.

Back